You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-02 06:32:58

dllkevin
Member
Registered: 2015-09-27
Posts: 13

[swapp] how to force some processes to use swapp?

Hello,
I have a Dell with 4 Giga RAM, i3 processor and 8 giga for swapp, but when I work on my web projects, once I launch webstorm + node js (ng serve) + firefox I can no longer work , I have performance problems so I wondered if it was possible to put firefox and nodejs processes manually on the swapp?
or maybe if you have recommendations for it
thank you in advance

Offline

#2 2020-01-02 07:17:27

Tharbad
Member
Registered: 2016-02-27
Posts: 333

Re: [swapp] how to force some processes to use swapp?

That's not how swap works. Stuff that currently in use can't be on swap.
Try to increase your swappiness value:
https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/linux-swappiness/

Offline

#3 2020-01-02 08:14:27

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,144

Re: [swapp] how to force some processes to use swapp?

You can run in cgroups and limit their RAM usage  (forcing them to use swap - there's only one "p" - space earlier) but from the description of your problem, you're simply running OOM.
Memory swapped (there's two "p" in the perfect) out to a HDD is abysmally slower than RAM (esp. if the swap partition is inside a LVM), so you either need to lower your overall active RAM consumption or add more RAM.

Sidebar: are we sure this is a memory limitation and not eg. the CPU?

Online

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB