You are not logged in.
Pages: 1
efistub wont work i used the command
efibootmgr --disk /dev/nvme0n1 --part 1 --create --label "arch" --loader /vmlinuz-linux --unicode 'root=/dev/nvme0n1p2 rw initrd=\initramfs-linux.img'
and efibootmgr -o (what ever then umber turned out to be)
but after rebooting the boot order reset and it says i have no bootable device for some reason is it cause my laptop uefi is weird?
Last edited by bgkillas (2020-01-01 19:46:37)
Offline
is it cause my laptop uefi is weird?
Not so much weird as ****ing typical...
You'll have to use systemd-boot if your motherboard won't remember the boot entries.
Jin, Jîyan, Azadî
Offline
bgkillas wrote:is it cause my laptop uefi is weird?
Not so much weird as ****ing typical...
You'll have to use systemd-boot if your motherboard won't remember the boot entries.
it actually remembers the entries but just over rights my boot order
Offline
also wouldent there be a way to just edit another entry
Offline
I have an HP Envy that has a similar issue. The boot order only seems to stick if I set it with the pre-boot firmware setup menu (Some mistakenly call this the BIOS menu). Attempts to set it from my Arch environment are futile.
You might try setting the boot order that way.
Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
The shortest way to ruin a country is to give power to demagogues.— Dionysius of Halicarnassus
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way
Offline
it actually remembers the entries but just over rights my boot order
If ewaller's suggestion doesn't work then you might have to remove all the entries and rely on the fallback EFI loader location instead. I think bootctl(1) will do that automatically, for GRUB use the --removable option for the grub-install command.
Jin, Jîyan, Azadî
Offline
IIUC, another possibility is that your system doesn't allow for adding entries with passing additional parameters. This is the case, for instance, with some of the XPS and Precision line Dells.
This repo has a pretty good write up of the issue and you can copy the method used to work around.
"the wind-blown way, wanna win? don't play"
Offline
Hello,
There *may* be a problem with efibootmgr under Arch, or with the wiki.
I own 4 computers that support UEFI (2 Asus laptops, 2 computer with a different MSI motherboard... well the common problem could very well be ASUS and MSI, or just me, and all this being a PEBKAC situation) :
- I have never succeeded to install Arch with EFI following the various guides and trying various options from the wiki, everything works, but modifications made to vram are lost on reboot
- The debian installer works and changes made to vram are permanent
My current workaround is to install debian, keep the esp, then install Arch normally, and then finaly "hack" it by replacing grubx64.efi from debian (in efi/debian) with the arch grubx64.efi generated during installation.
Regards,
Offline
- The debian installer works and changes made to vram are permanent
I think Debian's efibootmgr command must include the -e3 option[1], have you tried that?
Or perhaps try https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UE … ing_system
Jin, Jîyan, Azadî
Offline
JeanLucJ wrote:- The debian installer works and changes made to vram are permanent
I think Debian's efibootmgr command must include the -e3 option[1], have you tried that?
Or perhaps try https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UE … ing_system
The bug you are refering to is slightly different : changes are not lost on reboot, but the entry is broken in the first case you point out.
The second is also something else, the computer boots to EFI shell.
I don't remember what I tried or not since I don't install Arch on a daily basis, but I probably tried the first one, unless this was added to the wiki after July or August 2019.
My answer was more to suggest a workaround than to ask for help, that would be hijacking the thread ![]()
Offline
Pages: 1