You are not logged in.
Pages: 1
I had a perfectly working system until i decided to update the UEFI on my motherboard.
After the UEFI update. I boot directly into a grub prompt. I used a live USB to rebuild grub entries and was able to boot into a tty1 with no GUI. Enable lightdm results in lightdm being displayed, but it always fails to start the xfce session.
If I shutdown completely, turn my pc on, log into tty1 then execute "startx /usr/bin/startxfce4" I can start the session and use my pc just like nothing ever happened.
I've tried different DM, i've switch to systemd-boot, added "exec startx /usr/bin/startxfce4" to .bash_profile, nothing works. Only the exact steps above.
What is going on?
Offline
Sounds like a race condition. Try adding your display driver module to the initramfs (early KMS).
Offline
Adding it to the intramfs image? Is there a resource about doing that?
Edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and regenerate it?
Last edited by bbarnes1 (2020-01-06 14:47:30)
Offline
Adding it to the intramfs image? Is there a resource about doing that?
Offline
bbarnes1 wrote:Adding it to the intramfs image? Is there a resource about doing that?
Thanks i was looking at this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mi … tcpio.conf
Should a UEFI update have effected any of that? I did my other attempted repairs cause this?
Last edited by bbarnes1 (2020-01-06 14:51:13)
Offline
Enable lightdm results in lightdm being displayed, but it always fails to start the xfce session.
What does the LightDM log say about that? Have you even checked the journal?
Jin, Jîyan, Azadî
Offline
If I shutdown completely, turn my pc on, log into tty1 then execute "startx /usr/bin/startxfce4" I can start the session and use my pc just like nothing ever happened.
I've tried different DM, i've switch to systemd-boot, added "exec startx /usr/bin/startxfce4" to .bash_profile, nothing works. Only the exact steps above.
What is going on?
Not that I claim to know why starting it via your bash profile does not work... but per XFCE's wiki page, you should either just run
startxfce4or
[...]or add
exec startxfce4to Xinitrc.
Offline
I looked at the Xorg log. It tries to load screen 0 and 1 but can't find either and unloads amdgpu.
I will look at lightdm log / journal tonight
Thanks for the help
Last edited by bbarnes1 (2020-01-06 18:37:16)
Offline
Pages: 1