You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-03 00:05:30

JacobM33
Member
Registered: 2020-01-02
Posts: 8

Persistent "Started Load/Save Random Seed." Since Updating

Hi folks, first time posting here.

Likely necessary background information: I installed arch a little over a month ago using just the wiki., and have had no issues up until this point. I am running vanilla arch, no spinoff or installer. I have updated my system before posting this. I have checked the news section for any issues, and there were none relevant to my issue at the time of writing this. I am currently running GDM and Gnome, but I also have SDDM and KDE installed and the issue is identical when I switch to SDDM. I have not encountered this issue until yesterday, when kernel 5.4.7 was available for me to update to.

The Issue: My system just hangs after booting through grub and running through the initial startup sequence and shows "[     OK     ] Started Load/Save Random Seed." while a cursor flashes below it. I am able to access tty, and I have attempted several things to fix this. One temporary fix was to restore a timeshift backup from when I booted up this morning, and everything was working fine. Then I tried updating again, and same issue. I have repeated this sequence several times throughout today to allow for some time for a potential fix to come through to my system. I have tried searching up the issue and looking through all the results. One potential fix I found was installing and enabling haveged or rng-tools. I tried one at a time installing then enabling their systemd service, then rebooting, and neither of them fixed the situation. They both produced the same result, which was the exact same as what I described above except the message I pasted was not shown, instead only showing the blinking cursor. I've also gone through the arch reddit and this forum, but couldn't find anything similar enough that helped resolve the situation.

I'm not entirely sure what logs/command output I should be posting, but I'll go with "journalctl -b" and "systemctl status systemd-random-seed.service" based on what I've seen others posting on other similar issues around the internet. Please alert me if I need to post any more outputs.

1: https://pastebin.com/hfKWh1nh
2: https://pastebin.com/V975DDYF

I apologize if I haven't included all the required information or have missed anything crucial. Any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Offline

#2 2020-01-03 00:19:51

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,097

Re: Persistent "Started Load/Save Random Seed." Since Updating

Jan 02 18:39:19 jacob-pc systemd-random-seed[311]: Kernel entropy pool is not initialized yet, waiting until it is.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/63738
The bug report is not an actual bug but does cover the issue including possible resolutions.

Last edited by loqs (2020-01-03 00:20:12)

Offline

#3 2020-01-03 00:30:58

JacobM33
Member
Registered: 2020-01-02
Posts: 8

Re: Persistent "Started Load/Save Random Seed." Since Updating

Thank you for the response. I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but I want to clarify that unlike the unofficial bug you linked me to, my system does not experience a delay in booting, and simply just doesn't boot in the first place. I did try to add "random.trust_cpu=on" as a kernel parameter and I got the same response I did when I had either haveged or rng-tools installed. This being that I just get to a flashing cursor and don't see the "Load/Save Random Seed" message. Thanks once again

Offline

#4 2020-01-03 00:55:15

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,097

Re: Persistent "Started Load/Save Random Seed." Since Updating

I suspect with random.trust_cpu=on the gdm / sddm started but failed.
With random.trust_cpu=on when you reach the flashing cursor can you switch to another tty with Ctrl + Alt + F2 ?
If not still with random.trust_cpu=on if you boot the system to multi-user.target dpes the system then reach a login prompt?

Offline

#5 2020-01-03 01:42:16

JacobM33
Member
Registered: 2020-01-02
Posts: 8

Re: Persistent "Started Load/Save Random Seed." Since Updating

loqs wrote:

I suspect with random.trust_cpu=on the gdm / sddm started but failed.
With random.trust_cpu=on when you reach the flashing cursor can you switch to another tty with Ctrl + Alt + F2 ?
If not still with random.trust_cpu=on if you boot the system to multi-user.target dpes the system then reach a login prompt?

I am able to get to a tty with with random.trust_cpu=on. Should I post any outputs from there here?
After changing the default boot target, it reaches a login prompt the same way it would if I pressed CTRL+ALT+F2.

Offline

#6 2020-01-03 01:55:31

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,097

Re: Persistent "Started Load/Save Random Seed." Since Updating

The output of the following please:

$ lspci | grep -e VGA -e 3D

Offline

#7 2020-01-03 01:59:44

JacobM33
Member
Registered: 2020-01-02
Posts: 8

Re: Persistent "Started Load/Save Random Seed." Since Updating

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP104 [Geforce GTX 1080] (rev a1)

Last edited by JacobM33 (2020-01-03 02:00:00)

Offline

#8 2020-01-03 02:12:18

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,097

Re: Persistent "Started Load/Save Random Seed." Since Updating

Did you follow Xorg#Driver_installation?

Offline

#9 2020-01-03 02:13:53

JacobM33
Member
Registered: 2020-01-02
Posts: 8

Re: Persistent "Started Load/Save Random Seed." Since Updating

Yes I did follow that wiki page. At the time of installation, and up until this point there were no perceivable issues in relation to graphics drivers.

Last edited by JacobM33 (2020-01-03 02:18:29)

Offline

#10 2020-01-03 08:26:22

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,135

Re: Persistent "Started Load/Save Random Seed." Since Updating

As for GDM, try https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GD … rg_backend
If not: can you start the DM service after successfully booting the multi-user.target?
Does startx work? (You'll need a meaningful https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit#xinitrc )

Offline

#11 2020-01-06 01:20:29

JacobM33
Member
Registered: 2020-01-02
Posts: 8

Re: Persistent "Started Load/Save Random Seed." Since Updating

seth wrote:

As for GDM, try https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GD … rg_backend
If not: can you start the DM service after successfully booting the multi-user.target?
Does startx work? (You'll need a meaningful https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit#xinitrc )

Apologies for not responding before now. I had to stay over a couple of days in the hospital unexpectedly, but everything's okay now.

I have had wayland disabled since installing GDM since it would not start without me disabling it.

can you start the DM service after successfully booting the multi-user.target?

I'm not entirely sure what you meant by this, but I'll give it my best shot. I did check after booting with 'systemctl status multi-user.target' that multi-user.target was active and it was active and had no issues according to systemctl. After verifying this, I tried to do 'systemctl start gdm' and 'systemctl enable gdm' (even though it was already enabled), and it didn't work.

I have also tried startx, and it comes up with an error. If need be, I can put that error in pastebin, please alert me if this would be helpful. I do have an xinitrc, and in it I followed the instructions laid out in the Gnome wiki page. Specifically:

export XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
export GDK_BACKEND=x11
exec gnome-session

This was (and is working) on my backup where I haven't yet run a pacman -Syu, because whenever I do I run into the issue I described in the original post. I have tried updating since being discharged from hospital, and the issue still persisted.

Thanks again, and apologies for the late reply

Offline

#12 2020-01-06 09:07:56

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,135

Re: Persistent "Started Load/Save Random Seed." Since Updating

From the 1st log you posted

Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (==) Matched nouveau as autoconfigured driver 0
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (==) Matched nv as autoconfigured driver 1
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 2
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 3
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 4
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (II) LoadModule: "nouveau"
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (WW) Warning, couldn't open module nouveau
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (EE) Failed to load module "nouveau" (module does not exist, 0)
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (II) LoadModule: "nv"
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (WW) Warning, couldn't open module nv
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (EE) Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (II) Module modesetting: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]:         compiled for 1.20.6, module version = 1.20.6
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]:         Module class: X.Org Video Driver
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]:         ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 24.0
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (WW) Warning, couldn't open module vesa
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (EE) Device(s) detected, but none match those in the config file.
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (EE)
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: Fatal server error:
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (EE) no screens found(EE)
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (EE)
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]:          at http://wiki.x.org
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]:  for help.
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (EE)
Jan 02 18:39:20 jacob-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[433]: (EE) Server terminated with error

Looks a bit like a broken nvidia blob installation…

lspci -vs 01:00.0
lsmod | grep -E '(nvidia|nouveau)'
pacman -Qs nvidia

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB