You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-25 09:24:51

brazzmonkey

any forum rules in here ?

this is neither a complaint, nor an appeal to censorship. it's just a question.

usually when using a forum, there's a few rules to follow. these rules are detailed in a specific thread. only thing i could find here is a thread to report spam, duplicates, etc.

actually i realized this because i was wondering if references to sects or religions are allowed in this place. not that i want to advertize (i don't believe in any sort of god), but i wonder if a forum user had the right to (somewhat) advertize about his own religious beliefs.

what goes up must come down

#2 2006-08-25 09:54:30

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Re: any forum rules in here ?

We used to have rules posted in Off-Topic but people kicked and screamed about it. So then we comprimised to appease and people still kicked and screamed.
Now there are no rules here per say other than use common sense -threads that go out of control will be moderated.
I will say religous related threads are a sure fire way to start massive flame wars which will ultimately result in the thread being locked.

#3 2006-08-25 09:56:53

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

brazzmonkey wrote:

actually i realized this because i was wondering if references to sects or religions are allowed in this place. not that i want to advertize (i don't believe in any sort of god), but i wonder if a forum user had the right to (somewhat) advertize about his own religious beliefs.

Generally we discourage discussion of political and religious issues, purely because they have nothing whatsoever to do with Linux.  In the past such discussion was permitted but after a few incidents we decided on a policy to discourage such discussion.

I think that many people would agree that, because you don't see any such discussion here, people are less inclined to begin their own.  The Arch forums just aren't a place for that, and I think that is a great thing.  Thinking about it I am delighted with the current atmosphere on these forums.  This is not only a testament to out great team of forum advisers but also the users themselves who continue to set a high standard for these forums with virtually no intervention.  Self-moderation is always the most effective.

Aside, from that we have plenty of "religious" arguements about GUIs and programming languages...if anybody would like to rant about religion or politics I suggest they get a blog - I have several!

#4 2006-08-25 09:58:52

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

I had intended to make a wiki page about posting on the forums and Arch communication in general - maybe I'll get to that one day!

#5 2006-08-25 10:05:46

brazzmonkey

ok, thanks for your explanations and points of view. i agree with self-moderation, but i think it works only for reasonably-sized community (just like this one).
my concerns are not about religious discussion (i know wehere it leads to - just check readers' reaction on Ubuntu Christian Edition DWW's article...). i haven't seen any here so far, except this one wink
my concerns are about pictures and some sort of links that lead to a sect. actually i was shocked to find something like that here. i think this shouldn't be here.

#6 2006-08-25 10:06:06

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

dtw wrote:

Aside, from that we have plenty of "religious" arguements about GUIs and programming languages...

I prefer GTK and python.

#7 2006-08-25 10:10:24

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

brazzmonkey wrote:

my concerns are about pictures and some sort of links that lead to a sect. actually i was shocked to find something like that here. i think this shouldn't be here.

Give and take but we may have missed it. Feel free to contact a forum advisor if you run across material that you find offensive.

#8 2006-08-25 10:24:28

brazzmonkey

alright, i'll send you a pm then.

#9 2006-08-25 15:48:01

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Penguin wrote:

I prefer GTK and python.

Only cause you don't have enough experience with wxpython.

Dibble and Penguin have pretty much covered it. We take a relaxed approach now because of the problems we had earlier. Basically, if someone finds something offensive (including one of us), we do something about it. We don't do anything proactively because it *might* offend someone.

Dusty

Board footer