You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-07 18:12:23

theparacleteshammer
Member
Registered: 2019-12-24
Posts: 22

[SOLVED] Accidentally Bumping the Power Button Powers Down Machine

I am on an ASUS Q526FA, per output from $ sudo dmidecode | less

Output of $ hostnamectl
   Static hostname: <myhostname>
         Icon name: computer-convertible
           Chassis: convertible
        Machine ID: 475c143a9682490591c4b45e4b07da8b
           Boot ID: 99437bb52f334cf3914ac45b98b3cefb
  Operating System: Arch Linux
            Kernel: Linux 5.4.8-arch1-1
      Architecture: x86-64

Also, to help, I am dual booting WIndows 10 on UEFI with two drives, the optane drive for windows and grub boot, and the other Drive for /, /var, and /home.

Arch runs really smoothly on this machine, but I have one really annoying problem.  If I accidentally pop the power button (not even a sustained press, which is mounted on the left side, the laptop turns off.  I would like to make it so that it takes longer than a bump to power down the machine, and I am not exactly where to start.

If this comes across as whining, I will suck it up and treat it as a hazard of dealing with Arch.  I realize I risk not a few snarky comments about a post entitled "pushing the power button turns my machine off" but I am willing to ask if it means I hear a few comments that might address bettering my machine. Maybe powermanagement, or somwhere else.

Thank you for the time, gang.  And am very honored to be a part of this community on this best of distros.

Last edited by theparacleteshammer (2020-01-07 19:30:47)

Offline

#2 2020-01-07 18:15:14

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,404

Re: [SOLVED] Accidentally Bumping the Power Button Powers Down Machine

What environment are you running in? If nothing specifically look at the options for handling the power button in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Po … th_systemd

Offline

#3 2020-01-07 18:15:33

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 30,426
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Accidentally Bumping the Power Button Powers Down Machine

man logind.conf | less -p HandlePower

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#4 2020-01-07 18:49:33

theparacleteshammer
Member
Registered: 2019-12-24
Posts: 22

Re: [SOLVED] Accidentally Bumping the Power Button Powers Down Machine

V1del wrote:

What environment are you running in? If nothing specifically look at the options for handling the power button in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Po … th_systemd


Oops, sorry. Openbox

Offline

#5 2020-01-07 18:51:37

theparacleteshammer
Member
Registered: 2019-12-24
Posts: 22

Re: [SOLVED] Accidentally Bumping the Power Button Powers Down Machine

V1del wrote:

What environment are you running in? If nothing specifically look at the options for handling the power button in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Po … th_systemd

I will take a gander at this one.  And I will mark SOLVED if it fixes the issue.

Offline

#6 2020-01-07 19:28:04

theparacleteshammer
Member
Registered: 2019-12-24
Posts: 22

Re: [SOLVED] Accidentally Bumping the Power Button Powers Down Machine

Okay, I think y'all have given me sufficient rails to run on.  I am going to poke around in those areas, and mark this one as solved. 

Thanks.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB