You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-08 06:29:39

FillFeile

ThinkPad X1 3rd Gen - OneLink Dock screen flickering

Dear Archer's,

I'm running a ThinkPad X1 Carbon 3rd Gen with a proprietary Lenovo Docking Station attached: Think Pad OneLink Pro Dock.

I primarily use this dock to attached to screens via the DVI and DisplayPort connector. Everything works quite fine except for the following issue that reside for about 10 minutes after the machine booted:

- I boot the machine + login + startx
- I attach the dock the laptop and alter the monitor config to fit the newly attached screens (running two external, laptop built-in turned off)

Now the external screen start "flickering" they turn off after a few seconds (displaying no input signal) and turn on again. This goes on for about 10 minutes then the "flickering" stops and everything works smooth.

I was able to find some messages in dmesg that seem connected to this issue. At least one message is printed for each "flickering".

[   78.521751] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[   84.575385] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[  103.535117] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[  106.468509] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[  113.491886] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[  120.425570] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[  133.416458] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[  134.044290] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[  137.749838] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[  144.716631] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[  147.751081] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[  151.706907] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[  157.746991] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[  172.114106] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[  173.569572] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[  181.875392] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[  191.859695] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[  198.910030] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[  201.522481] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[  217.856270] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[  232.842571] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
[  245.565652] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.

I already searched for this message in the Arch Wiki and found something on the Intel Graphics page.

I tried out both kernel parameters but the situation does not change:

i915.enable_fbc=1 and i915.enable_fbc=0

Other thing worth to mention: the stolen memory size in the BIOS is already cranked to the highest possible value (of the two available presets).

Any ideas on how to fix this issue? Has anyone experienced something similarly?

Cheers,

FillFeile

Board footer