You are not logged in.

#26 2019-12-17 12:18:20

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 11,184

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

Does not appear to be a simple fix until nvidia updates its driver.

Offline

#27 2019-12-17 13:58:08

dglt
Member
Registered: 2019-08-14
Posts: 79

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

thanks @getjump but it think @loqs is right about this needing a fix on nvidia's end. it would be great if we had a way of tracking progress on it other than just

"Thanks for reporting this. For reference, we're tracking it in internal bug number 2780092."

for now it's linux-lts and a downgraded linux-zen for me. if there are any possible fixes i'll be more than glad to test them.

Offline

#28 2020-01-05 15:35:40

zjeffer
Member
Registered: 2018-11-08
Posts: 2

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

Offline

#29 2020-01-10 01:32:19

Waan
Member
Registered: 2019-12-25
Posts: 30

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

zjeffer wrote:

Don't want to necrobump, but that patch still works to get vsync working with prime for: extra/nvidia-dkms 440.44-10 <-> kernel: archlinux 5.4.10-arch1-1
Would be nice to see that patch included in next versions of nvidia and nvidia-dkms, so i don't have to keep patching manually.

Offline

#30 2020-01-10 17:54:22

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 11,184

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

You could open a bug report on the arch bug tracker asking for that patch to be applied (although it would need to adjusted so it did not break with 4.19)

Offline

#31 2020-01-11 07:55:50

polyakov84
Member
Registered: 2017-02-16
Posts: 3

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

Hi, everyone.
Could somebody provide a guide for patching and installing driver?
I will appreciate if somebody experienced will describe steps to make it.

Thanks in advance.

Offline

#32 2020-01-11 15:12:54

oinkl
Member
Registered: 2010-01-13
Posts: 43

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

polyakov84 wrote:

Hi, everyone.
Could somebody provide a guide for patching and installing driver?
I will appreciate if somebody experienced will describe steps to make it.

Thanks in advance.

I did something like the following, the commands might not be exact do test it

$ git clone --single-branch --branch packages/nvidia https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git
$ cd packages/trunk/
$ makepkg -o
$ curl https://gitlab.com/snippets/1927096/raw > prime.patch
$ patch -p1 -d src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-440.44/ -i ../../prime.patch 
$ makepkg -e
$ pacman -U nvidia-440.44-10-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Offline

#33 2020-01-11 18:39:06

polyakov84
Member
Registered: 2017-02-16
Posts: 3

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

I've made as you described.
There was no any errors while patched and installed package. But it still doesn't work.



$ xrandr --setprovideroutputsource NVIDIA-G0 Intel
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  140 (RANDR)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  35 (RRSetProviderOutputSource)
  Value in failed request:  0x220
  Serial number of failed request:  16
  Current serial number in output stream:  17

Offline

#34 2020-01-11 18:56:16

oinkl
Member
Registered: 2010-01-13
Posts: 43

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

polyakov84 wrote:

I've made as you described.
There was no any errors while patched and installed package. But it still doesn't work.



$ xrandr --setprovideroutputsource NVIDIA-G0 Intel
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  140 (RANDR)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  35 (RRSetProviderOutputSource)
  Value in failed request:  0x220
  Serial number of failed request:  16
  Current serial number in output stream:  17

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PR … offloading

Note: GPU offloading is not supported by the closed-source drivers.

Offline

#35 2020-01-12 14:18:42

Isaak.Aleksandrov
Member
From: Earth, Milky Way
Registered: 2020-01-12
Posts: 4

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

Waan wrote:
zjeffer wrote:

Don't want to necrobump, but that patch still works to get vsync working with prime for: extra/nvidia-dkms 440.44-10 <-> kernel: archlinux 5.4.10-arch1-1
Would be nice to see that patch included in next versions of nvidia and nvidia-dkms, so i don't have to keep patching manually.

You (and/or anyone else who needs the patch) could take the official Arch package, modify that by adding in the patch in the "prepare" section; and use the resulting DKMS version. By doing so you'd not have to manually patch each new kernel release.
The steps oinkl outlines, and using the resulting DKMS version instead, would work just fine.

As for a more "compatible" patch, I've made a new version that hopefully still works as it should, while still retaining compatibility with older versions of the Linux kernel.

(New) PRIME patch: https://gitlab.com/snippets/1929174
Sample (DKMS only) PKGBUILD: https://gitlab.com/snippets/1925454

The sample applies a 5.5 patch as well, but that shouldn't interfere with kernels < 5.5. Though, feel free to remove that part (from sources, checksums, and the prepare section).
I'm running with the 5.5 kernel patch myself, so that should be fine, but I'm not, however, running a PRIME compatible system, so I'm not able to try that one out myself.

Edit:
I'm blind today, just saw that you're already using the DKMS package. Still, the same idea applies to anyone. Using the DKMS package doesn't require re-patching each time.

Last edited by Isaak.Aleksandrov (2020-01-12 14:21:00)


I sometimes do that code thing. Check my GitLab: https://gitlab.com/EULA

Offline

#36 2020-01-13 03:01:32

dglt
Member
Registered: 2019-08-14
Posts: 79

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

thanks for the patch/pkgbuild . tested with 5.4 and prime sync is working.

Offline

#37 2020-01-31 23:54:53

WOFall
Member
From: Ireland
Registered: 2012-03-24
Posts: 11

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

The patch has been added to the package now, currently still in [testing].

https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/pack … f76440a1cf

Offline

#38 2020-02-03 10:44:43

shak
Member
Registered: 2009-03-16
Posts: 405

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

Guys sorry for the question , but what is the current status of this bug? Prime sync is still not working on latest 5.4 kernel.

Are there any plans for it to get fixed? Does kernel 5.5 fixes this issue?

What is the current workaround?

Offline

#39 2020-02-03 10:49:13

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 10,083

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

The next release of the nvidia package will fix it, if you are using dkms anyway you might want to pull the testing version of nvidia-dkms which will include it as well, if you don't want to wait.

Last edited by V1del (2020-02-03 10:50:26)

Online

#40 2020-02-03 19:03:33

qifei9
Member
Registered: 2013-09-02
Posts: 4

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

prime synchronization works again with nvidia 440.48.02-1 and linux 5.5.1.arch1-1

Offline

#41 2020-02-04 08:41:03

shak
Member
Registered: 2009-03-16
Posts: 405

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

qifei9 wrote:

prime synchronization works again with nvidia 440.48.02-1 and linux 5.5.1.arch1-1

I can confirm that it now works like a dove potion!

Offline

#42 2020-02-04 15:44:26

dglt
Member
Registered: 2019-08-14
Posts: 79

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

i was having trouble getting 440.48.02 to work, xorg wouldnt start but the new nvidia and nvidia-dkms (arch repo) 440.59 i installed a little while ago work fine. prime sync is working on 5.5 kernel and vulkan/dxvk apps/games no longer cause a constant lockup loop. i'll edit the original post and mark as solved

edit: cant edit OP, i thought i created this thread but i guess not, memory is failing me sad

EDIT: correction, the dxvk/vulkan lockup issue with prime sync enabled is still an issue. if the focused window is changed it causes the same lockup so on both i3 and awesome-wm moving the mouse from the vkcube window to a different one and vice versa causes a 5sec lockup of the entire desktop. sad

Last edited by dglt (2020-02-04 17:29:05)

Offline

#43 2020-02-06 19:46:16

HeUbD
Member
Registered: 2020-02-06
Posts: 3

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

oinkl wrote:
polyakov84 wrote:

I've made as you described.
There was no any errors while patched and installed package. But it still doesn't work.



$ xrandr --setprovideroutputsource NVIDIA-G0 Intel
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  140 (RANDR)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  35 (RRSetProviderOutputSource)
  Value in failed request:  0x220
  Serial number of failed request:  16
  Current serial number in output stream:  17

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PR … offloading

Note: GPU offloading is not supported by the closed-source drivers.

I have a question, I think that I have working this with kernel 5.5.2-arch1-1 and nvidia drivers 440.59-3
If I run
prime-run glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 1660 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Coffeelake 3x8 GT2)
I get this.
But xrandr don't see the HDMI output, there is a way to configure that.
Or I have not working correctly?
Thanks.

Offline

#44 2020-02-06 20:42:05

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 10,083

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

You can't use prime-run with external screens, you have to opt for one of the more traditional methods of configuring Optimus, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus

Online

#45 2020-02-08 20:00:48

HeUbD
Member
Registered: 2020-02-06
Posts: 3

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

V1del wrote:

You can't use prime-run with external screens, you have to opt for one of the more traditional methods of configuring Optimus, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus

Thanks, I install optimus-manager

Offline

#46 2020-02-20 16:55:18

glitchdot
Member
Registered: 2019-11-07
Posts: 3

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

Does prime.patch works for nvidia-390xx drivers? I tried to apply it, following this steps:

git clone --single-branch --branch packages/nvidia-390xx https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git
cd packages/trunk/
makepkg -o
curl https://gitlab.com/snippets/1927096/raw > prime.patch
patch -p1 -d src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.132-no-compat32/ -i ../../prime.patch
makepkg -e
pacman -U nvidia-390xx-390.132-28-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

The package compiles and installs, but prime sync still is not working. The kernel version I am using is 5.5.4.

Offline

#47 2020-02-22 09:45:19

Isaak.Aleksandrov
Member
From: Earth, Milky Way
Registered: 2020-01-12
Posts: 4

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

glitchdot wrote:

Does prime.patch works for nvidia-390xx drivers? I tried to apply it, following this steps:

git clone --single-branch --branch packages/nvidia-390xx https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git
cd packages/trunk/
makepkg -o
curl https://gitlab.com/snippets/1927096/raw > prime.patch
patch -p1 -d src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.132-no-compat32/ -i ../../prime.patch
makepkg -e
pacman -U nvidia-390xx-390.132-28-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

The package compiles and installs, but prime sync still is not working. The kernel version I am using is 5.5.4.

Guess I'm late to the post, but still... Others were saying the same with 440.44 on 5.5. From the looks of it, 440.59 switched some things around, and in doing so fixed PRIME support.

I took the changes from 440.44->440.59 and adapted them to 390.132. This was a rather quick (~5 min) job, so don't expect much from it, please. If you'd still want to give it a shot, I've got it here:
https://gitlab.com/snippets/1943814

Note: I don't use 390, or PRIME, so all I do is test if it compiles. Also, drop the base 5.5 patch before running makepkg, that one isn't needed with this new version.


I sometimes do that code thing. Check my GitLab: https://gitlab.com/EULA

Offline

#48 2020-02-22 14:43:59

glitchdot
Member
Registered: 2019-11-07
Posts: 3

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

Isaak.Aleksandrov wrote:
glitchdot wrote:

Does prime.patch works for nvidia-390xx drivers? I tried to apply it, following this steps:

git clone --single-branch --branch packages/nvidia-390xx https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git
cd packages/trunk/
makepkg -o
curl https://gitlab.com/snippets/1927096/raw > prime.patch
patch -p1 -d src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.132-no-compat32/ -i ../../prime.patch
makepkg -e
pacman -U nvidia-390xx-390.132-28-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

The package compiles and installs, but prime sync still is not working. The kernel version I am using is 5.5.4.

Guess I'm late to the post, but still... Others were saying the same with 440.44 on 5.5. From the looks of it, 440.59 switched some things around, and in doing so fixed PRIME support.

I took the changes from 440.44->440.59 and adapted them to 390.132. This was a rather quick (~5 min) job, so don't expect much from it, please. If you'd still want to give it a shot, I've got it here:
https://gitlab.com/snippets/1943814

Note: I don't use 390, or PRIME, so all I do is test if it compiles. Also, drop the base 5.5 patch before running makepkg, that one isn't needed with this new version.

Thank you. PRIME sync works now with 390 after this patch.

Because I don't have that much experience with this I had some difficulties applying the patch, but it went well. I removed base kernel-5.5.patch, also removed it from PKGBUILD, and skipped integrity check when building the package. Then I applied isak's patch. I am not completely sure if this is the right way to do, but it works.

Offline

#49 2020-02-28 12:43:45

lsbkf
Member
Registered: 2018-02-19
Posts: 4

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

What's the current status ? I read on this thread that it's fixed now, but I just upgraded (nvidia 440.59-10 / linux 5.5.6.arch1-1) and it's still broken. I can't even fallback on linux-lts anymore because they switched to 5.4.
Does https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 6#p1885916 still implies that the patch must be done by ourselves, did I miss something, or did they break it again ?

Offline

#50 2020-02-28 15:08:07

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 10,083

Re: prime synchronization breaks with kernel 5.4

To my knowledge it is fixed on both 5.5.x and 5.4.x, what's your measure of "doesn't work"?

Last edited by V1del (2020-02-28 15:10:22)

Online

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB