You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-12 22:36:56

bugandy

[Solved] System freeze during pacman upgrade and db/package corrupted

Hello. This evening I run in another system freeze (read my other thread for details), this time while pacman upgrading some kde/plasma package.

Now kde/plasma no longer run, probably some package are corrupted and some file missing, but pacman database is also currupt and I can't find it easy.

If I try to install every package pacman saids me all package files is already present on filesystem, and I can't force it because --force options is no longer supported by pacman, and --overwrite options want files list...

now... I read -'Pacman/Restore local database' wiki page, and it sound like that's I have to do, but it uses --force options, then is probably written for old pacman version and It won't run on newest pacman version.

So... what can I do to make that guide current?

Please help me and thank you.

Note: I was able to run 'start x' from tty and waterfox in it, but kde always return to login.

Last edited by bugandy (2020-01-13 13:11:00)

#2 2020-01-13 10:49:56

Potomac

Re: [Solved] System freeze during pacman upgrade and db/package corrupted

Hello,

Pacman database should be never corrupted if you have enough disk space and didn't manually kill pacman process or shutdown the PC during the update of the packages,

system freezes, weird bugs come often from an unstable PC (faulty ram modules, bad sectors on hard disk, bad power supply, bad CPU cooling),
check if your PC is stable (by running memtest, smartmontools for checking the health of the harddisk, check the CPU temperature and the voltages in the bios).

Check also if you have enough disk space on "/" partition.

Last edited by Potomac (2020-01-13 10:56:13)

#3 2020-01-13 11:55:02

bugandy

Hello. Please read this before you ask me things that other users have already asked me.

I just turned my computer off during the upgrade because freeze makes me forced reboots.

Anyway now I'm thinking that the database is not the problem, the problem is that the forced restart of the pc during the update created some empty files, because pacman started generating ldconfig errors about empty files.

Now I'm trying to find the packages to owner those files and reinstall them, because they are probably the packages that pacman was updating during the freeze.

#4 2020-01-13 12:26:03

Potomac

Ok I made an answer in the other thread.

#5 2020-01-13 13:10:34

bugandy

Thank-you.

In this meantime I've resolved issue claimed in this thread reinstalling all packages having one ore more 'void' file and now kde/plasma run well.

now... I read -'Pacman/Restore local database' wiki page, and it sound like that's I have to do, but it uses --force options, then is probably written for old pacman version and It won't run on newest pacman version.

So... what can I do to make that guide current?

I solved this issue using "--override=*" instead of "--force". I suggest to update wiki-guide about this in order to help users who will run into similar issue.

Board footer