You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-15 00:50:24

zacariah1

Unable to connect wifi to arch linux

Unable to connect to wifi to download packages.
I have a mac mini(not sure of the version, but it's at least 4 years old). I use rEFInd to boot the mac mini with Ubuntu also. I have partitioned disks and want to install archlinux one of them. to download the necessary packages, I'm trying to connect to wifi. I'm not able to connect. I believe I have to get a driver as the first step for the hardware which is BCM4331. I say that based on the fact that "ip addr" doesn't even show the interface.

-Absolute Noob. Any help is appreciated. Willing to experiment.

#2 2020-01-15 00:53:19

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Unable to connect wifi to arch linux

Start here.

Post the results of steps you are able to take from that page and describe if/when you get stuck.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2020-01-15 01:54:00

zacariah1

Inspector parrot, thanks. Been trying to follow that. Reading the "Offline installation" section. I realised I can use my phone for tethering the internet. I've been trying to follow the page: "https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Android_tethering" by changing to my network name which is the same every time I plug the phone in. it says down. I carried out the instructions on that page exactly the same by changing only idVendor and the name of the network appropriately.

Yet, I can't see that the interface is up. Also trying to ping 8.8.8.8, and of course it says network unavailable.

I did "ip link set interface up" with the correct interface, and now the state is unknown.

Last edited by zacariah1 (2020-01-15 02:01:38)

#4 2020-01-15 08:58:55

seth

I did "ip link set interface up" with the correct interface, and now the state is unknown.

Try to run "dhcpcd". If that doesn't work, please post the exact output of "ip a" for the interface after bringing it up.

Board footer