You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-15 00:36:44

biebo

Wine has sound but not in game

Hi,

I checked with winecfg and I can listen the test sound but when I play game (rise of nations) it has no sound.

I installed using lutris. I also checked Steam by playing youtube trailers etc from within Steam and they have audio.

Any ideas?

Last edited by biebo (2020-01-15 03:21:35)

#2 2020-01-15 04:08:10

Aashish
Website

Re: Wine has sound but not in game

By default sound issues may arise when running Wine applications. Ensure only one sound device is selected in winecfg.

If you want to use the ALSA driver in Wine, you will need to install lib32-alsa-lib and lib32-alsa-plugins.
If you want to use the PulseAudio driver in Wine, you will need to install the lib32-libpulse package.
If you want to use the OSS driver in Wine, you will need to install the lib32-alsa-oss package. The OSS driver in the kernel will not suffice.
Games that use advanced sound systems (e.g. TESV: Skyrim) may additionally require installations of lib32-openal.

#3 2020-01-15 04:12:01

biebo

Aashish wrote:

By default sound issues may arise when running Wine applications. Ensure only one sound device is selected in winecfg.

If you want to use the ALSA driver in Wine, you will need to install lib32-alsa-lib and lib32-alsa-plugins.
If you want to use the PulseAudio driver in Wine, you will need to install the lib32-libpulse package.
If you want to use the OSS driver in Wine, you will need to install the lib32-alsa-oss package. The OSS driver in the kernel will not suffice.
Games that use advanced sound systems (e.g. TESV: Skyrim) may additionally require installations of lib32-openal.

Wine plays audio when I test it in the wincfg and also in Steam but not in the game itself. This is strange...

#4 2020-01-15 14:27:51

drcouzelis
Website

...FYI, the Wine package in Arch Linux is currently going through a major version bump, from Wine 4 to Wine 5. All new software releases will have road bumps. I was bitten in the butt when something WAS working great in Wine 4 suddenly stopped working at all in Wine 5.

Just something to keep in mind while you're debugging this issue! smile

#5 2020-01-15 14:46:09

V1del
Forum Moderator

Well since Arch does package the dev releases as stable the actual version bump from whatever we were on to 5 doesn't encompass that many changes. But yeah wine in general is always on a rather quick pace, stuff breaks and works again all the time. But in fact as the big releases are always intended as stabilization phases (no new features, titles on winehq that were gold in the past should at least retain gold) they are often the best moments to check for whether stuff is working properly

That said, whenever you try anything in wine and something doesn't work, your first stop should always be the winehq page of the software in question, which incidentally mentions a windows/dll dep that you might have to explicitly install: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. … &iId=31382

Last edited by V1del (2020-01-15 14:49:56)

#6 2022-04-09 10:18:28

pato3

Aashish wrote:

Thanks, this was the only solution that worked for me, after trying everything else!

#7 2022-04-09 10:23:26

V1del
Forum Moderator

While that's good to hear please don't necrobump 2 year old threads to verify something that is ultimately properly documented: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Wine#Sound

Closing this old thread.

Board footer