You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-15 08:46:37

ryyzerr

Problem importing gpg keys

I'm trying to install packages with yay on two different systems, one about a year old, the other one is a fresh installation.

This is the output from gpg:

:: Importing keys with gpg......
gpg: keyserver receive failed: No name
==> Error: Problem importing keys

I cannot import the keys manually, I get the same error.

Running

pacman-key --refresh-keys

give me the following:

gpg: refreshing 116 keys from hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net:443
gpg: keyserver refresh failed: No name
==> ERROR: A specified local key could not be updated from a keyserver.

I've tried removing the gnupg directory in pacman.d and running

pacman-key --init

and then repopulating with no change.  I've tried clearing the pacman cache.

As I said, this is also happening during installation from a live USB, I'm running an install script which worked fine a few days ago for that.  I believe it's giving the exact same errors when trying to import keys for AUR packages.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Google hasn't been very fruitful on this one.

#2 2020-01-15 12:37:56

loqs

Re: Problem importing gpg keys

What are the packages that you are trying to install?  Please post the full output of the yay invocation that fails.

#3 2020-01-15 14:44:58

eschwartz
Fellow

pool.sks-keyservers.net is a DNS round robin that resolves to "a keyserver near you", but often enough those keyservers are broken or having issues. Try passing the --keyserver option, specifying a known-good keyserver. Personally, I have found "--keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com" to be quite reliable.

EDIT: also,

ryyzerr wrote:

As I said, this is also happening during installation from a live USB

Did you try using the latest ISO? The latest ISO would have the latest version of the pacman-key keyring baked in, so no need to refresh them.

Last edited by eschwartz (2020-01-15 14:46:31)

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#4 2020-01-16 00:13:11

ryyzerr

Okay.  The yay invocation is no longer failing, so I can't post that.  I'm running into a build error with it now but it looks to be unrelated at a glance.  The packages involved are linux-lts-ck and linux-lts-ck-headers (the one that fails to build now) on the year old desktop system, and polybar in the freshly installed VM.

Linked HERE is the output of:

pacman-key --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --refresh-keys

Using the default or 'round robin' keyserver now gives a different error, permission denied:

gpg: refreshing 116 keys from hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net
gpg: keyserver refresh failed: Permission denied
==> ERROR: A specified local key could not be updated from a keyserver.

I'm not sure if this is related to the keyservers or if there's a problem with one of the keys stored on my system?

The live ISO I'm using was built with archiso yesterday, so it should be all the latest packages.  Its a graphical live environment / installation script that I've been working on.  It worked great a couple of days ago.

#5 2020-01-16 02:45:31

ryyzerr

Someone else suggested me to try pgp.mit.edu as the keyserver, they said it was the only one that worked on a fresh install yesterday.  This is the only one that has worked for me as well, so I guess I'll stick with it.

I'd still like to know why none of the others work but I guess my problem is solved for now.

Board footer