You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-14 09:42:11

Zibi1981

[SOLVED] Problem with installing/updating expressvpn from AUR

When I'm trying to install expressvpn from AUR I get this error

(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                                                 [####################################################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
expressvpn: /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/expressvpn exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
==> WARNING: Failed to install built package(s).
==> Cleaning up...

At first I just wanted to update my package, but ended up with the same error, so tried a fresh install.

Any clues?

P.S. More info

ls -al /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/
(...)
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    35 11-23 17:00 expressvpn -> /usr/lib/expressvpn/bash-completion
(...)

Last edited by Zibi1981 (2020-01-16 12:26:10)

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

MSI Raider GE78HX 13VI-032PL

#2 2020-01-14 11:30:47

a821

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with installing/updating expressvpn from AUR

#3 2020-01-14 11:31:26

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … )%22_error

In this case, since that file is a symlink, I suspect you used the upstream package before trying to install the AUR package. Upstream's package creates untracked files, which is one of the reasons why I still maintain the AUR package as an alternative.
If you want to switch to the AUR package, I recommend that you manually remove the following files:

/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/expressvpn
/etc/systemd/system/expressvpn.service

Depending on which browsers you use, and how you installed the package (i.e. you used sudo) the upstream package will also have created files in your home directory for the browser addons. i.e.

"${HOME}/.mozilla/native-messaging-hosts"
"${HOME}/.mozilla/native-messaging-hosts/com.expressvpn.helper.json"
"${HOME}/.config/google-chrome/NativeMessagingHosts"
"${HOME}/.config/google-chrome/NativeMessagingHosts/com.expressvpn.helper.json"
"${HOME}/.config/chromium/NativeMessagingHosts"
"${HOME}/.config/chromium/NativeMessagingHosts/com.expressvpn.helper.json"
"${HOME}/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/NativeMessagingHosts"
"${HOME}/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/NativeMessagingHosts/com.expressvpn.helper.json"

You may want to keep these.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#4 2020-01-16 12:25:50

Zibi1981

Thanks for clearing that out.

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

MSI Raider GE78HX 13VI-032PL

Board footer