You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-16 13:54:04

chriswyatt

PKGBUILD review request (ttf-cascadia-code-git)

This is my first ever package, so I'm not sure if I've done it right. Basically the one that's already in the community repository is out-of-date, and I got impatient waiting for it to be updated. Also, it seemed like a nice simple one to practice with. Could someone give it a quick review? I'm particularly unsure whether I have got the versioning right, or whether the '-git' suffix is applicable, considering it's a tagged release rather than a particular revision from master.

# Maintainer: Chris Wyatt <wyattmeister@gmail.com>
_pkgname=ttf-cascadia-code
pkgname="$_pkgname"-git
pkgver=1911.21
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A monospaced font by Microsoft that includes programming ligatures"
arch=(any)
url="https://github.com/microsoft/cascadia-code"
license=('custom:OFL')
makedepends=(python)
conflicts=(ttf-cascadia-code)
source=("git+"$url".git#tag=v$pkgver")
sha512sums=('SKIP')

build() {
	cd cascadia-code

python -m venv venv
	source venv/bin/activate
	pip install -r requirements.txt

python build.py
}

package() {
	cd cascadia-code
	install -Dm644 LICENSE "$pkgdir"/usr/share/licenses/"$_pkgname"/LICENSE

cd build
	install -Dm644 CascadiaCode.ttf "$pkgdir"/usr/share/fonts/TTF/CascadiaCode.ttf
	install -Dm644 CascadiaCodePL.ttf "$pkgdir"/usr/share/fonts/TTF/CascadiaCodePL.ttf
	install -Dm644 CascadiaMono.ttf "$pkgdir"/usr/share/fonts/TTF/CascadiaMono.ttf
	install -Dm644 CascadiaMonoPL.ttf "$pkgdir"/usr/share/fonts/TTF/CascadiaMonoPL.ttf
}

Last edited by chriswyatt (2020-01-16 20:07:30)

#2 2020-01-16 14:02:01

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: PKGBUILD review request (ttf-cascadia-code-git)

There have only been 40 commits to Master since the release of the version that is currently packaged.  A large portion of these have been updates to the README, or removals of macOS liter that was accidentally committed (DS_Store, whatever).  Which of the 40 commits provide an improvement in the actual use of the font that interests you?

As for your PKGBUILD, you need to decide whether it will be a VCS package or not, right now it's half way between.  And if it is not going to be, then it has no place at all as there is already a versioned package in the repos.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2020-01-16 14:30:57

chriswyatt

It was the Powerline glyphs that interested me. I use Powerline in my terminal, so this was a feature that was really useful for me. But, point taken that it's not the most useful package for submission, so I will keep it in my personal repository.

I'll have a look through the VCS guidelines too.

Thanks for having a look.

#4 2020-01-16 14:56:58

eschwartz
Fellow

chriswyatt wrote:

But, point taken that it's not the most useful package for submission, so I will keep it in my personal repository.

If it is just for your personal repository to try out the latest version, you could checkout the PKGBUILD from the official repos (you can use the "asp" package for this), update the pkgver= variable, and try packaging that.

I'd recommend using the pkgver=0.1 so that you receive an update from pacman once it is officially packaged.

Of course, you might still want to create a true VCS package for other reasons. If so, carry on. smile

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#5 2020-01-16 15:09:09

chriswyatt

eschwartz wrote:
chriswyatt wrote:

But, point taken that it's not the most useful package for submission, so I will keep it in my personal repository.

If it is just for your personal repository to try out the latest version, you could checkout the PKGBUILD from the official repos (you can use the "asp" package for this), update the pkgver= variable, and try packaging that.

I'd recommend using the pkgver=0.1 so that you receive an update from pacman once it is officially packaged.

Of course, you might still want to create a true VCS package for other reasons. If so, carry on. smile

Thanks. Didn't know you could do that.

#6 2020-01-16 16:33:43

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Sorry, my question was a genuine question.  I wasn't sure if there was anything useful in the last 40 commits.  But including new commonly-used glyphs certainly qualifies as worthwhile.  This might justify a proper vcs version of the font - particularly if upstream is still actively expanding glyph coverage.  But updating via ABS would certainly be sufficient as well.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer