You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-25 19:13:17

Hroozley
Member
Registered: 2020-01-25
Posts: 19

Missing version.h

Hi,

I am trying to install WinDriver by Jungo on my Arch Linux with v4.19 kernel. The driver requires a version.h file in /usr/src/linux/include/linux.

I've tried to install and re-install linux-headers and linux-api-headers. I've found several posts on various forums regarding this issue:
1) On Ubuntu this problem can be solved by installing the linux-sources package. However I was not able to find it's equivalent for ArchLinux.
2) I've found a post, claiming, that manual compilation of kernel will solve this issue (it was from before 2014). I've tried this with no success. Wrong .config? https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/33558
3) I've also found a Bug Report that was closed as this was considered a feature.

Is there a way of installing this file on v4.19 kernel or do I have to use older version?
If so, can you provide some article about dealing with older kernels?

Thank you

P.S. If you could recomend different API (I need to communicate with device on PCI bus), I would be grateful as well.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Problem was solved -> check my last input

Last edited by Hroozley (2020-01-27 20:48:17)

Offline

#2 2020-01-25 19:19:53

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,089

Re: Missing version.h

stat /usr/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h

What command did you run and what is its output?

Offline

#3 2020-01-25 19:27:47

Hroozley
Member
Registered: 2020-01-25
Posts: 19

Re: Missing version.h

Hi,

thanks for quick reply.

When searching for version.h I've simply used

ls /usr/src/linux/include/linux | grep "version.h"

This located only iversion.h

Your command generated this:

File: /usr/lib/modules/4.19.98-1-lts/build/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  Size: 97        	Blocks: 8          IO Block: 4096   regular file
Device: 10304h/66308d	Inode: 1848323     Links: 1
Access: (0644/-rw-r--r--)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
Access: 2020-01-25 19:36:00.000000000 +0100
Modify: 2020-01-23 11:06:59.000000000 +0100
Change: 2020-01-25 19:36:00.168547542 +0100
 Birth: 2020-01-25 19:36:00.168547542 +0100

Am I supposed to simply create a simlink to this file?

Offline

#4 2020-01-25 19:35:35

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,089

Re: Missing version.h

loqs wrote:

What command did you run and what is its output?

Linking version.h should not be needed but you need to supply more details about what is currently failing.

Offline

#5 2020-01-25 19:38:44

Hroozley
Member
Registered: 2020-01-25
Posts: 19

Re: Missing version.h

I am yet to run the installation. The installation manual specifically states, that /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h must be present, so I assumed that installation would fail with the file not present.

Offline

#6 2020-01-25 19:48:58

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,089

Re: Missing version.h

linux-lts can not supply /usr/src/linux because that is supplied by the linux package.
linux-lts supplies /usr/src/linux-lts but using the directory /usr/src/linux is deprecated in favor of /usr/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build.
You will probably have to adjust WinDrivers build system for such changes.
Edit:
This may be an X-Y problem.  What is WinDrivers?  What are you trying to do with it?
What is the device you wish to communicate with?
If you want an example kernel pci driver see the pci folder in examples.tar.gz from https://resources.oreilly.com/examples/9780596005900/

Last edited by loqs (2020-01-26 00:23:17)

Offline

#7 2020-01-26 00:26:12

Lone_Wolf
Administrator
From: Netherlands, Europe
Registered: 2005-10-04
Posts: 15,446

Re: Missing version.h

https://www.jungo.com/st/products/windriver/wd_linux/ wrote:

Supported Linux kernel (including embedded Linux):

    For x86 32-bit architectures:Linux kernel 2.6-4.8.4
    For x86 64-bit architectures: Linux kernel 2.6-4.8.4
    PCI / PCIe / ISA

Proprietary software and no support for recent kernels.
If you do want to try this software on archlinux, I suggest you start with building & installing
linux-lts44 , linux-lts44-headers and linux-lts44-docs from AUR .

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … Repository

Once you have that kernel installed and configured your bootloader to switch between multiple kernels,
you should look into creating a package for the windriver software.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Creating_packages


Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

clean chroot building not flexible enough ?
Try clean chroot manager by graysky

Offline

#8 2020-01-26 00:45:25

Hroozley
Member
Registered: 2020-01-25
Posts: 19

Re: Missing version.h

In their release notes https://www.jungo.com/st/support/windriver/wdver/  they claim to support higher kernels as well.

I have in fact managed to install the Windriver, but when launched, it claimed that the kernel module was missing, even though it was present in the correct directory.

I will try to re-install tomorrow and if that does not work I will try to install v4. 4 kernel.

Last edited by Hroozley (2020-01-26 00:45:54)

Offline

#9 2020-01-26 01:08:09

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,089

Re: Missing version.h

Just to note linux-lts44 does not supply a symlink under /usr/src it also still supplies hooks for depmod and mkinitcpio but that it should still work with the current mkinitcpio.

Offline

#10 2020-01-26 21:11:44

Hroozley
Member
Registered: 2020-01-25
Posts: 19

Re: Missing version.h

Anyway I have a TMS320C6415 DSP connected via PCI to my PC and my task is to create a communication between the two.

Offline

#11 2020-01-26 21:14:18

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,089

Re: Missing version.h

Hroozley wrote:

Anyway I have a TMS320C6415 DSP connected via PCI to my PC and my task is to create a communication between the two.

https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/SND_ASIHPI.html mentions that chip.

Offline

#12 2020-01-26 21:40:25

Hroozley
Member
Registered: 2020-01-25
Posts: 19

Re: Missing version.h

I already found this site but I am unsure how to understand it. Does it mean, that there is a driver I require, or is it only a part of different driver, meant for Audio science cards?

Last edited by Hroozley (2020-01-26 21:40:50)

Offline

#13 2020-01-26 21:49:18

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,089

Re: Missing version.h

As the linux package has https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/pack … inux#n6683 configured as a module is the device detected and the snd-asihpi module loaded?
The cateee.net link has links to the driver source https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/ … ci/asihpi/ everything in that folder comprises the module.

Last edited by loqs (2020-01-26 21:58:25)

Offline

#14 2020-01-26 22:17:09

Hroozley
Member
Registered: 2020-01-25
Posts: 19

Re: Missing version.h

lsmod does not list the snd-asihpi

Offline

#15 2020-01-27 20:43:31

Hroozley
Member
Registered: 2020-01-25
Posts: 19

Re: Missing version.h

Conclusion:
Although version.h is not present in the directory discribed in WinDriver installation manual, the installation works.

loqs wrote:

linux-lts can not supply /usr/src/linux because that is supplied by the linux package.
linux-lts supplies /usr/src/linux-lts but using the directory /usr/src/linux is deprecated in favor of /usr/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build.


I was able to run it on v4.19 lts kernel

Further notes if somebody needed to use WinDriver:
The module must be loaded via the sudo ./.../WinDriver/utils/wdreg windrvr1421 (mentioned in installation manual)
The wizard must be lauched like sudo ./.../WinDriver/wizard/wdwizard_1804 (symbolic link can be created in /usr/bin)

Last edited by Hroozley (2020-01-27 20:46:05)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB