You are not logged in.

#26 2020-01-25 14:41:39

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Add libmfx to gst-libav depends() (fix broken AV in epiphany)

quequotion wrote:
eschwartz wrote:

n.b. ffmpeg was only updated in order to change its "depends" metadata, as it now optionally depends on intel-media-sdk and hard depends on libmfx. gstreamer has not been updated at all.

So, rather than adding it as a dependency to gst-libav directly, it was added as a dependency to a dependency of it, which was apparently someone's plan all along. Neat.

Because it never was a direct dependency of gst-libav in the first place. Nothing in gst-libav is linked to libmfx at all.

#27 2020-01-25 16:23:05

quequotion
Website

Scimmia wrote:

Because it never was a direct dependency of gst-libav in the first place. Nothing in gst-libav is linked to libmfx at all.

I know that now. This started with a warning message that didn't mention ffmpeg; just that gst-libav could not find libmfx. That was all I had to go on in the beginning.

So now that we've settled this, can we reopen my FlySpray account? I do have use for it.

#28 2020-01-26 01:46:38

eschwartz
Fellow

quequotion wrote:

When you first stated that it was a problem with my linker, I assumed you were talking about linking during build time (ie, as if I'd built ffmpeg or gst-libav against the wrong version of libmfx or using a misconfigured ld; somehow leaving them stuck looking for the library in the wrong place), which is why I responded that I had not built the packages from source. I couldn't imagine that shared library linking was generally broken because that would have catastrophic consequences for my installation that I had not observed. It was only broken for one package, by itself; and now we know.

You received an immediate response to this:

Scimmia wrote:
quequotion wrote:
Scimmia wrote:

Sounds more like your linker is broken

I didn't build the packages from source; just installed them from their respective binary repositories with pacman.

Which has noting to do with what I said. The version of intel-media-sdk in question puts a file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ so that the dynamic linker can find the libraries. If that didn't work, you've broken something.

quequotion wrote:
eschwartz wrote:

intel-media-sdk has been updated

To depend on community/libmfx, as of today's upgrade.

No, it is exactly as I actually said, which you trimmed out:

eschwartz wrote:

for unrelated reasons, intel-media-sdk has been updated to now use /usr/lib/libmfx.so.1 instead of /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib/libmfx.so.1

The libmfx.so.1 which is installed by intel-media-sdk, is now installed to a different directory. The fact that intel-media-sdk is now also a split package named "intel-media-sdk" and "libmfx", and the previous "libmfx" package no longer exists *at all*, is irrelevant and unrelated.

You are still using the exact same intel-media-sdk software.

quequotion wrote:
eschwartz wrote:

n.b. ffmpeg was only updated in order to change its "depends" metadata, as it now optionally depends on intel-media-sdk and hard depends on libmfx. gstreamer has not been updated at all.

So, rather than adding it as a dependency to gst-libav directly, it was added as a dependency to a dependency of it, which was apparently someone's plan all along. Neat.

No it was not "someone's plan all along". ffmpeg already depended on intel-media-sdk, as noted all the way back in post #2. Due to unrelated issues, libmfx was dropped entirely, and then intel-media-sdk was turned into a split package; ffmpeg now depends only on the "libmfx" portion of the new split package.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/65145
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/65238

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#29 2020-01-26 02:36:31

quequotion
Website

eschwartz wrote:

No, it is exactly as I actually said

pacman -Ss intel-media-sdk
community/intel-media-sdk 19.4.0-4 [installed]
    API to access hardware-accelerated video on Intel Gen graphics hardware platforms
pacman -Ss libmfx
community/libmfx 19.4.0-4 [installed]
    Intel Media SDK dispatcher library

I see.

Last edited by quequotion (2020-01-26 02:38:39)

#30 2020-01-26 03:08:04

Scimmia
Fellow

I'll go ahead and re-enable your account. The real issue there was extremely questionable decision making, but I think the point has been made. I don't see the need to penalize you further for buying a line of bullshit.

In the future, though, when someone says that they don't know and don't care how it works, that should be your clue to stop listening to them.

Last edited by Scimmia (2020-01-26 03:09:42)

#31 2020-01-26 03:32:29

quequotion
Website

Scimmia wrote:

I'll go ahead and re-enable your account. The real issue there was extremely questionable decision making, but I think the point has been made. I don't see the need to penalize you further for buying a line of bullshit.

In the future, though, when someone says that they don't know and don't care how it works, that should be your clue to stop listening to them.

Thank you.

Board footer