You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-24 08:51:36

scippie

[SOLVED] Firefox doesn't use libnotify

My setup is up to date Arch, i3wm, twmn for notifications.
Every typical application sends its notifications to twmn (for example if my wifi connects, and things like that).
Firefox shows these hideous popup windows instead.

I read that Firefox is however developed to use libnotify if it finds it. So why doesn't it use it?
I have started Firefox in the console to see if any warnings show, but there are none related to libnotify.

Does anyone here know how I can make Firefox use libnotify?

Last edited by scippie (2020-01-27 08:53:24)

#2 2020-01-25 23:39:05

Lone_Wolf

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox doesn't use libnotify

Don't think i've ever seen a notification of firefox but many things are blocked on my firefox.

Could you give an example of the kind of stuff you expect to see in twmn-git and are now seeing in firefox ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2020-01-26 06:57:14

scippie

For example, I use the Whatsapp web website (https://web.whatsapp.com/) to enable me to view my Whatsapp chats (needed for work). If I receive a message and that chat is not active on the screen, I get a notification.
Firefox asks your permission for this and I like getting notified of messages while I am doing something else, just like Thunderbird does when receiving an e-mail.
To see such a notification for yourself, this website has the ability to send such a notification on demand as a test: https://www.bennish.net/web-notifications.html (not my website)
I don't know how much you disabled in your configuration of course.
You need to allow this website to send you such notifications, but Firefox normally just asks it when you click on the Authorize button on that website.

#4 2020-01-26 13:08:14

Lone_Wolf

Understood, firefox shows a rather ugly window at the right bottom corner of the screen as notification .

I've searched and https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comm … _for_push/    looks relevant, but the dbus-send command doesn't work on  my system.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2020-01-26 14:02:40

progandy

What is the setting of alerts.useSystemBackend in about:config? Mine is true and the test notification works.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#6 2020-01-26 16:00:02

scippie

progandy wrote:

What is the setting of alerts.useSystemBackend in about:config? Mine is true and the test notification works.

Mine is true too. Are your notifications shown through twmn?

#7 2020-01-26 16:01:14

scippie

Lone_Wolf wrote:

I've searched and https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comm … _for_push/    looks relevant, but the dbus-send command doesn't work on  my system.

Yes, I found that post before I posted here. Didn't work for me either.

Last edited by scippie (2020-01-26 16:01:29)

#8 2020-01-26 16:15:15

progandy

scippie wrote:
progandy wrote:

Mine is true too. Are your notifications shown through twmn?

I have dunst and it is used for the notifications. If I set the option to false, then I get the firefox toast.

Edit: Does twmn support actions? It looks like firefox has an "activate" action for most/all notifications and uses its own implementation when the notification server does not advertise support for actions.
https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev/bl … r.cpp#L321

Last edited by progandy (2020-01-26 16:23:39)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#9 2020-01-26 16:25:45

eschwartz
Fellow

progandy wrote:

I'd just add that "true" is the default value for this setting, and leaving it at said default value, I get notifications queued through Cinnamon's notification thingy. If I manually set it to false, I get an ugly white box made by Firefox.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#10 2020-01-26 16:39:31

scippie

So I guess it's not that FF doesn't use libnotify (as my title said) but that something is preventing FF to use it. I'll test if dunst works better for me (just to see if it's twmn that doesn't support everything FF needs), but I hope I can get twmn to work as it fits so perfectly with my i3blocks bar.

#11 2020-01-27 01:44:11

glitsj16

You probably already checked Options>Privacy & Security>Permissions>Notifications>Settings?

#12 2020-01-27 08:02:40

scippie

glitsj16 wrote:

You probably already checked Options>Privacy & Security>Permissions>Notifications>Settings?

Of course. I don't see anything in there that is related to selecting a notification daemon or something like that.
You can only choose which notifications to allow in there and the ugly notifications work.

#13 2020-01-27 08:53:11

scippie

progandy wrote:

Edit: Does twmn support actions? It looks like firefox has an "activate" action for most/all notifications and uses its own implementation when the notification server does not advertise support for actions.
https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev/bl … r.cpp#L321

It looks like this is the problem. It works fine with dunst. Guess that twmn is not for me then.

#14 2022-11-25 12:12:35

allanforms

eschwartz wrote:
progandy wrote:

I'd just add that "true" is the default value for this setting, and leaving it at said default value, I get notifications queued through Cinnamon's notification thingy. If I manually set it to false, I get an ugly white box made by Firefox.

I was having this issue over the past few weeks (I'm using Linux Mint Cinnamon edition by the way) after one of these updates (system or firefox, I guess firefox), and today I got hands on it to solve it.

I tried the bennish.net notification and it was ugly as web.whatsapp.com had been, then I checked the alerts.useSystemBackend in about:config after reading about it on this topic, and it was true; toggled it to false, tested with bennish.net notification, ugly again; then I toggled it back to true and this time it used the libnotify/dbus/anything notification deamon again, with it's pretty interface and custom timeout configuration (hardcoded in cinnamon, but easily configurable). I guess in one of these updates the default supposed value for that configuration changed from true to false, and after double toggling it firefox started to read it instead of assuming it (maybe?).

So thanks a lot guys for creating this post, it solved my issue smile

#15 2022-11-26 01:09:49

ewaller
Administrator

Closing this two year old solved thread.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer