You are not logged in.
I updated my Arch on my work laptop yesterday (after around two weeks) and I rebooted.
Since then my wifi no longer connects automatically (which it did for the past 2 years).
I use NetworkManager-applet to connect to wifi (WPA2 enterprise network) and it tells me that wifi is disconnected and it doesn't list any SSID's.
After searching around, I found something about wpa_supplicant maybe running multiple times simultaneously, so I grepped the processes and found a wpa client and two wpa_supplicants.
After killing both supplicant processes, I restarted the NetworkManager and it connected immediately. Only one wpa_supplicant is running after that.
Now I am a bit lost as to where this problem arises.
Can anyone give me some pointers of where to start looking to solve this?
Last edited by scippie (2020-01-28 12:51:44)
Offline
Please provide
systemctl list-units --state=active --type=service
systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabledso that we can see, what you have running.
Last edited by schard (2020-01-28 11:34:17)
Inofficial first vice president of the Rust Evangelism Strike Force
Offline
This is with the wifi 'repaired'.
$ systemctl list-units --state=active --type=service
UNIT LOAD ACTIVE SUB DESCRIPTION
accounts-daemon.service loaded active running Accounts Service
bluetooth.service loaded active running Bluetooth service
colord.service loaded active running Manage, Install and Generate Color Profiles
cpupower.service loaded active exited Apply cpupower configuration
dbus.service loaded active running D-Bus System Message Bus
docker.service loaded active running Docker Application Container Engine
kmod-static-nodes.service loaded active exited Create list of static device nodes for the current kernel
ldconfig.service loaded active exited Rebuild Dynamic Linker Cache
lightdm.service loaded active running Light Display Manager
lvm2-lvmetad.service loaded active running LVM2 metadata daemon
lvm2-monitor.service loaded active exited Monitoring of LVM2 mirrors, snapshots etc. using dmeventd or progress polling
netctl-auto@wlp2s0.service loaded active exited Automatic wireless network connection using netctl profiles
netctl-ifplugd@enp0s31f6.service loaded active running Automatic wired network connection using netctl profiles
NetworkManager-wait-online.service loaded active exited Network Manager Wait Online
NetworkManager.service loaded active running Network Manager
ntpd.service loaded active running Network Time Service
org.cups.cupsd.service loaded active running CUPS Scheduler
polkit.service loaded active running Authorization Manager
rtkit-daemon.service loaded active running RealtimeKit Scheduling Policy Service
systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service loaded active exited Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:acpi_video0
systemd-backlight@backlight:nvidia_0.service loaded active exited Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:nvidia_0
systemd-binfmt.service loaded active exited Set Up Additional Binary Formats
systemd-fsck-root.service loaded active exited File System Check on Root Device
systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-75afd0bb\x2d3809\x2d4d0e\x2d861e\x2dd8254eda543a.service loaded active exited File System Check on /dev/disk/by-uuid/75afd0bb-3809-4d0e-861e-d8254eda543a
systemd-journal-catalog-update.service loaded active exited Rebuild Journal Catalog
systemd-journal-flush.service loaded active exited Flush Journal to Persistent Storage
systemd-journald.service loaded active running Journal Service
systemd-logind.service loaded active running Login Service
systemd-modules-load.service loaded active exited Load Kernel Modules
systemd-random-seed.service loaded active exited Load/Save Random Seed
systemd-remount-fs.service loaded active exited Remount Root and Kernel File Systems
systemd-sysctl.service loaded active exited Apply Kernel Variables
systemd-sysusers.service loaded active exited Create System Users
systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service loaded active exited Create Static Device Nodes in /dev
systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service loaded active exited Create Volatile Files and Directories
systemd-udev-trigger.service loaded active exited udev Coldplug all Devices
systemd-udevd.service loaded active running udev Kernel Device Manager
systemd-update-done.service loaded active exited Update is Completed
systemd-update-utmp.service loaded active exited Update UTMP about System Boot/Shutdown
systemd-user-sessions.service loaded active exited Permit User Sessions
thermald.service loaded active running Thermal Daemon Service
udisks2.service loaded active running Disk Manager
upower.service loaded active running Daemon for power management
user-runtime-dir@1000.service loaded active exited User Runtime Directory /run/user/1000
user@1000.service loaded active running User Manager for UID 1000
wpa_supplicant.service loaded active running WPA supplicant
ympd.service loaded active running ympd server daemon
LOAD = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.
47 loaded units listed.$ systemctl list-unit-files | grep enabled
org.cups.cupsd.path enabled
autovt@.service enabled
bluetooth.service enabled
cpupower.service enabled
dbus-org.bluez.service enabled
dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service enabled
dbus-org.freedesktop.thermald.service enabled
dbus-org.freedesktop.timesync1.service enabled
display-manager.service enabled
docker.service enabled
getty@.service enabled
lightdm.service enabled
NetworkManager-dispatcher.service enabled
NetworkManager-wait-online.service enabled
NetworkManager.service enabled
ntpd.service enabled
org.cups.cupsd.service enabled
systemd-fsck-root.service enabled-runtime
systemd-remount-fs.service enabled-runtime
systemd-timesyncd.service enabled
thermald.service enabled
upower.service enabled
ympd.service enabled
org.cups.cupsd.socket enabled
remote-fs.target enabled
fstrim.timer enabledLast edited by scippie (2020-01-28 11:40:12)
Offline
If you are using NetworkManager, you should disable the netctl* services.
Too many cooks spoil the broth.
Inofficial first vice president of the Rust Evangelism Strike Force
Offline
If you are using NetworkManager, you should disable the netctl* services.
Too many cooks spoil the broth.
I just checked systemctl status netctl* and got netctl-ifplugd for my ethernet and netctl-auto for my wireless enabled.
So you are saying that these should (both) be disabled?
I don't understand how they got there actually, but then this was one of the first Arch installations I did, so I may have been trying weird things to get things working.
But that way I assumed they were part of NetworkManager.
Offline
Netctl is a separate network management service not related to NetworkManager or several other alternatives.
You should only operate different network management services simultaneously if you know exactly what you're doing.
While a netctl-managed ethernet connection might not be directly related to your current problem, I suggest you disable at least netctl-auto@wlp2s0.service.
Apart from that, see sentence #2.
Last edited by schard (2020-01-28 12:03:18)
Inofficial first vice president of the Rust Evangelism Strike Force
Offline
You should only operate different network management services simultaneously if you know exactly what you're doing.
Obviously, I don't. Thanks!
Offline
And that fixed it. Thanks!
I don't understand how it has worked for 2 years tho...
Last edited by scippie (2020-01-28 12:54:11)
Offline