You are not logged in.

#6751 2020-01-23 04:51:25

mikenike360

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello Everyone! I've been a heavy Linux user for about 5 years now. I usually stick with Debian or Ubuntu but just made the leap over to Arch!

So far I love it! Very customization and lightweight. I had a few hiccups post-installation but reading over the Arch forums I was able to get everything resolved. So I decided to join!

My day job is a SysAdmin mostly working on cloud projects. Hopefully I can find a way to help out the Arch community!

#6752 2020-01-24 19:55:30

GiuseppeSchnee

Hello Everyone!

I switched from Windows to Ubuntu in 2007.
Since 2013 I used Debian on a easy to Repair Notebook, which I intend to use for at least 10 Years.
Recently I bought an SSD whit that, Arch and a light weight desktop i hope to gain some performance out of the machine.

I really hope to extend my Linux Know-how with Arch.

Greetings
Giuseppe

#6753 2020-01-25 10:33:16

mirkwood.ape

Hello everyone,

been always switching to Linux for everything I do at school or at work for the past 9 years. Literally only playing games in MSWIN. Been using Arch for the past 2 years, with plain KDE Plasma and amazed by the Arch-Wiki. Now, like everybody else, I decided to join the forum!

Greetings!
Yanne

#6754 2020-01-25 13:54:46

ratcheer

Hi, @GiuseppeSchnee and @mirkwood.ape. Welcome!

#6755 2020-01-29 17:52:08

kvorshk

I wanted to say thank you to the devs! I have tinkered with Linux for about 20 years. Windows ticked me off about 6 months ago. I first installed ElementaryOS. It works but its too locked down. So I started reading. Came across the Arch meme before anything else and said "If its that hard I want to try it!" I now run it on all my computers. Servers, Desktop and laptops. Thank you for freeing my entire network!!!!!

Last edited by kvorshk (2020-01-29 17:52:27)

#6756 2020-01-31 19:52:52

geot

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say it's good to be back, after making my rounds from arch to mac to windows and back to arch after a couple of years, it still feels like home smile

#6757 2020-01-31 20:00:15

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Welcome to the BBS (I'm assuming you didn't previously have an account here).

Mod note: Merging with the 'Hello' topic.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#6758 2020-02-02 12:35:50

jakub

Hello! I switched back to arch, after ~3 years with Fedora and Ubuntu. During time spent using other distributions I noticed they got extremely buggy recently (especially Ubuntu).
I also appreciated even more how helpful arch community was. Arch never was an easy distribution for me, even arch Wiki caused some confusion from time to time... But overall, I like it and appreciate how helpful community is.

#6759 2020-02-02 17:23:21

kiborg

Hello Everyone!

I have been using Linux as a daily driver for about 5 years.  Started on Ubuntu, then after several years got fed up with it and switched to Debian.  I had read about Arch, mostly about how difficult it is to install and things like "You are going to install Arch?  What are you masochistic?"  I thought it sounded like a fun challenge.  I had some extra space on a second drive, so I figured I would give it a try.  This was about 2 months ago.  Following the Installation Guide in the Wiki, it wasn't really too difficult.  I will admit, it took me a few tries to get it right, but that was my fault for not reading everything through like I should have. 

After getting it installed and running, I had what I thought were stability issues.  I researched and read as much as I could, and was able to diagnose the problem.  Turns out it wasn't an Arch problem at all, it was something else entirely.  Once those issues were resolved, I started using it as my daily driver.  I haven't even booted into my Debian partition for I don't know how long ( about 2 months, I guess LOL).

I love the fact that Arch is a roll-your-own distro.  I get to control what I put on my machine.  I also love that it is a rolling release, and I get to stay updated with the latest and greatest all the time.  I also love that my knowledge of how Linux runs and is put together has dramatically increased since I started using Arch.  There is just nothing I don't like about this distro.  Ok, I will stop now as I am starting to sound like a silly fanboy.

Oh, and the Wiki.... man I love the Wiki!!!

#6760 2020-02-02 18:32:00

demeere

Hello

#6761 2020-02-05 18:14:26

tonypresidio

Hello

#6762 2020-02-08 14:21:43

synapse_rift

Hello Everyone

I have been using Arch linux for about a year as my daily driver. Started out with Ubuntu, then Debian, and finally Arch. Because every time I was fixing Debian, I was always going to the Arch Wiki. I love how lightweight, modular, configurable Arch linux is. What an awesome distribution

#6763 2020-02-10 23:00:44

MrArcher

Hello Everyone,

I'm so glad I finally did it! I got my Arch installation running the way I want to. I currently have two DE's installed, those are Plasma KDE and Cinnamon.
I'm also able to play nearly all of my video games, so I finally ditched Windows 10. My favorite game Dota 2 even runs waaaaay better on (Arch) Linux than on my previous Windows 10 install.
It's buttery smooth.

In windows, the game would freeze over a simple ALT+TAB half of the time, forcing me to reboot.

I tried Manjaro but I was eager to learn about Arch.
I've installed arch before, but somehow still needed Windows for gaming. Back then I didn't know about system maintenance or had other issues (don't remember clearly)

Apparently my previous login was on 18-09-2009. I guess it has been this long for me...

I'm a bit nervous about breaking my install but am using Timeshift for regular backups.
I'm hoping that by reading the arch news, actually reading the Pacman messages when using "pacman -Syu"  and deciding about .pacsave / .pacnew will keep it running for ever.

#6764 2020-02-11 00:45:26

Techdox
Website

Hi everyone!

I've been a Linux desktop user for a few years now and I call Arch Linux home when it comes to my distro of choice.

I've aiming to help contribute towards the Arch Linux project in any way I can smile.

Cheers!

Tech.

Cloud Engineer | Kiwi | Coffee Lover | Did you read the manual?

#6765 2020-02-11 14:40:59

dannymexen
Website

Hi, everyone. I love forums and I love Linux.

I installed Arch a couple of days ago and I love having a minimal install OS on my machine.

I plan on ricing among other things.

Thanks for having me.

Mission Complete!

#6766 2020-02-12 00:43:36

Imereny

Hello everyone!

I installed Arch about 1 month ago. I installed kubuntu as my first distro and decided to switch to Arch as soon as i had been able to do a complete install on a virtual machine, and i am loving it!

#6767 2020-02-12 14:14:14

craigrostan

Well after many months of trying and multiple attempts, using various so called methods, I have finally got both my laptops up and running with Arch through use the official method. Yeh I can hear you all "we told you to use the official wiki" :-). Well some of us are just not that smart :-).

I have to admit my reluctance was due to fear. Fear of the unknown, fear of the mysterious language, and just plain laziness and looking for a quick method. Having said that, trying those other "methods" did serve a useful function in that it did acclimatize me to understanding the language need to do a proper install.

Just a little about the laptops, both are Dell Inspirons, one a 15-5579 and the other a 15-5559, both with 16Gb of RAM and one with a 1Tb HD and the other with a 238GB SSD.
Anyway I have to admit i am feeling quite smug with myself having got both up and running to my satisfaction, well nearly :-).

Just thought I'd share the smug :-)

"For, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Aye well maybe we'll redeem ourselves one day.

#6768 2020-02-12 14:30:28

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Congrats. The learning curve may be steep, but if you put in the effort you'll eventually overcome it.

Mod note: Merging with the official hello topic.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#6769 2020-02-12 21:44:09

relativity_phase

Hey everybody.

I'm an aspiring sysadmin devops hybrid who started to get into Linux last summer as part of my apprenticeship.
I totally fell in love with it and now I'm not doing much else. I keep learning many things everyday, which I utilize at work and at home.
Currently I'm getting the hang of Kubernetes and working on a way to automatically deploy game servers, while also casually preparing to take an RHCSA exam.

I switched from Fedora to Arch last week and I am amazed by its customizability  and lightweightness.
I love the idea of setting up your system only with the stuff you actually use and need, and keep adding to that.
And I also like the idea of always having easy access to the latest bleeding-edge updates, so far I am very happy with the choice of packages that the pacman repos offer, and not to forget the packages in the AUR.

And the wiki. Man, the Arch Wiki is the best of all the of things I like about arch so far.
It's just beautiful

Last edited by relativity_phase (2020-02-12 21:46:37)

#6770 2020-02-14 22:29:13

rangoon

Hello from NZ.

I tried getting away, honestly, but every morning and evening as I'm cruzing my favourite Reddit forums, its the Arch one that gobbles up my attention..after 3 months on Mint and then two goes at Arch installing, both times successful other than sound, I'm ready to build an Arch daily out of my new Lenovo X1 and not go back, I'm gunna hang in there by hook or by crook.

What has been most interesting, is that there is quite a lot of reading that is required and it's for good reason, convenience has to go out the window or you'll retreat back to an easy distro like I was.

Thanks in advance for the most excellent Wiki and no doubt this community forum.

Cheers

Rangoon

Gamer | Dad | Coffee Drinker | Kiwi | The Right Kind of Crazy

#6771 2020-02-16 17:40:57

CatBabylon

Hi all I'm from Leeds, UK. I've flirted with Linux occasionally for years, not exactly sure when but I remember Lilo rather than grub and Fedora hadn't been created by Red Hat back then. Anyway, I kept coming back and playing about with it but never really got my head around a lot of the more complex side of Linux. Recently I figured, if I'm going to learn anything it should be through Arch. 30 something tries later, I managed to get to a desktop. I've since then started using both Arch and Manjaro and am loving it.

I really need to learn about how to compile software without copy and paste instructions which is one of the reasons why I decided to join this forum. But it's great to be part of the community anyway.

Thanks for having me!

CB

#6772 2020-02-19 19:43:40

tluszcz

Hello everybody! I've been using Arch for two years now and I think it's about time to open up to the community.  Here to learn, satisfy my curiosity about Linux and I hope that soon I'll learn enough to be able to contribute to the community!

Cheers

#6773 2020-02-21 09:17:07

breakthrough

Hi everyone!

I've wanted to get into Linux for a while now. First I installed Ubuntu and didn't learn anything. Then I installed Debian and started scratching the surface. I realized that in order to learn anything, I have to immerse myself fully, so here I am. smile

I hope I'll quickly learn enough to be able to give back to the community.

Thanks for having me.

#6774 2020-02-21 15:50:51

Sonlis

Hey everyone !
I have been using Linux as part of my studies for 3 years now, mostly Ubuntu, debian, Kali and CentOS.
I am now focusing more on raspberry pi, and Raspbian isn't really what I'm looking for. I am now using Arch Linux and Tiny piCore to do my project.
I am not very good regarding OS, but I'll try to bring my part to the community.

EDIT: I am well aware pi for arm has its own forum, but why not being in both ? tongue

Thanks for having me, cheers !

Last edited by Sonlis (2020-02-21 15:52:25)

#6775 2020-02-23 06:21:05

jb1223

What's up y'all?

I've been using arch on and off for around a year now, but I only started really getting into it a few weeks ago - I finally got around to fixing the Windows dual boot UTC/localtime thing, and it turns out that was all that was keeping me from using Arch full time. Now that I'm using it so much, I'm really enjoying seeing myself get better and better, and I'm hoping to start contributing soon. Really love how this community functions, and I'm excited to see where it goes! big_smile

See y'all around!

-jb1223

Board footer