You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-04 07:09:30

Juju

Commander X16 packages: it's gone (for the time being), what do I do?

Hi, I currently maintain the x16-emulator and x16-rom (and their -git and -bin variants) on the AUR, however, announcement was made on the X16 Facebook group the GitHub pages for the emulator and the ROM are down for the time being until the author completely rewrite the kernel (or reach an agreement with Cloanto, the current copyright holder for the Commodore 64 ROMs on which the X16 ROM is based, which is unfortunately unlikely). This situation makes the packages uncompilable for the time being (but they should work if you modify the sources to one of the forks lying around on GitHub), so I wonder the best course of action in that case:

- Flag the packages as out-of-date until it's back up?
- Leave a comment saying I'm aware of the situation?
- Switch to an appropriate fork if I find one? (probably not a good idea unless it's on one of the devs' account, but the PKGBUILDs should work unmodified, at least the -git ones)
- Upload the latest tarball/zipball I have on the AUR? (most likely not a good idea?)
- Do nothing?

I guess these questions also applies to some packages I used to maintain a few years ago whose sources are now gone from the Internet (libmmd and dunan). I don't really care about them, they got orphaned at the request of someone, and they're permanently gone rather than temporarily, but eh, I guess it's good to ask smile

Last edited by Juju (2020-02-04 07:12:53)

#2 2020-02-05 19:09:59

Juju

Re: Commander X16 packages: it's gone (for the time being), what do I do?

I've been informed the code have been reposted on the main developer's personal account, so I guess I'm going with that. Since it's still the same code and it's going to run unmodified other than the source URL, I don't have to change the pkgrel, right?

My question still stands, though, is there any directives on what to do if the source goes missing?

#3 2020-02-06 10:12:33

Lone_Wolf

Re: Commander X16 packages: it's gone (for the time being), what do I do?

No need to change the pkgrel.

When sources disappear normally it's ok to use another source that still has them (like the internet archive[1] ).

This case looks different though.
Trusted Users are responsible for the AUR, I suggest you contact them by posting about this on on the aur-general mailing list[2] .

[1] https://archive.org/
[2] https://lists.archlinux.org/listinfo/aur-general

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer