You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-04 16:27:24

frankendave
Member
Registered: 2020-02-04
Posts: 2

Nvidia 340xx support?

I am running arch a macbook 5.4 and have got it running almost the way I want it to.
The only problem I can't seem to solve is getting the nvidia drivers to work.
So yeah, according to the wiki I need to use the nvidia340xx for them to function properly.
The wiki reads this:

However, Nvidia's legacy drivers are still available and might provide better 3D performance/stability if you are willing to downgrade Xorg:
For GeForce 8/9, ION and 100-300 series cards [NV5x, NV8x, NV9x and NVAx], install the nvidia-340xx-dkmsAUR package. Last supported Xorg version is 1.20.

I have Xorg 1.20.7 installed at the moment. I'm wondering if I should downgrade to 1.20.1 or should 1.20.7 still work?

It's been a while since I tried installing the drivers but I kept ending up getting a frozen black screen at the startup of X, forcing me to do a reisub.
Eventually I just gave up and reverted back to the nouveau drivers.

So yeah, my question is really to what version of X should I be downgrading and what about the kernel, am I better of with an older kernel? Perhaps the LTS?
Also I would love to know if there are people running the latest kernel and still running these drivers.

Offline

#2 2020-02-04 16:44:59

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,399

Re: Nvidia 340xx support?

Minor releases still work, weird wording in the wiki, 1.20.x are still going to be supported and nvidia did release an update fixing at least 5.4 compatibility, though the kernel module can often be hacked for newer kernel support if there weren't any deep interface changes that would mandate changes in the closed part of the driver. 5.4 will incidentally also be the next LTS release, so you will technically still be able to stick to that (and if/when it is replaced as the LTS kernel someone might pick up maintenance of the kernel in the AUR which given that it actively happens should hold true for ~5 years)

Offline

#3 2020-02-05 06:58:29

frankendave
Member
Registered: 2020-02-04
Posts: 2

Re: Nvidia 340xx support?

Thanks for that, it makes me hopeful I might be able to get it running on the rt kernel. I'll see what I can do to get it running this time and post an update on how to do it.
Perhaps it can help others who are in the same boat.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB