You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-07 09:34:37

k395
Member
Registered: 2020-01-29
Posts: 37

Icecast service fail to start

When I run `sudo systemctl start icecast`, I get something like this (in `sudo systemctl status icecast`

archlinux icecast[15718]: FATAL: could not open error logging (/var/log/icecast/error.log): Permission denied
archlinux icecast[15718]: FATAL: could not open access logging (/var/log/icecast/access.log): Permission denied
archlinux icecast[15718]: FATAL: Could not start logging

Although I can use `sudo chown nobody:nobody /var/log/icecast/` (similar to the suggestion here), it doesn't feel correct.

(default installed icecast with `sudo pacman -S icecast`, with unmodified `/etc/icecast.xml`)

Offline

#2 2020-02-08 17:29:21

twelveeighty
Member
Registered: 2011-09-04
Posts: 1,456

Re: Icecast service fail to start

What user is reported by "top" or "ps" for the icecast process? It looks like the package's icecast.xml sets the user to be 'nobody'. I don't run icecast, but if I compare it with Apache httpd, even though the process runs as the 'http' user, the /var/log/httpd folder is still owned by root and the log files are owned by root as well, so it is possible to do this. It all depends on how icecast drops privileges after starting. Either way, I think this is a bug you should report, since maybe it could be packaged differently.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB