You are not logged in.
I couldn't connect to the internet via WIFI when i installed Arch, but figured no big deal i'll get it done when i've installed and have it running on my laptop.
My laptop is a Dell Latitude 5591
uname -routput
Linux CarstenARCH 5.5.2-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue, 04 Feb 2020 18:56:18 +0000 x86_64 GNU/LinuxSo, after having installed with ethernet and then booting up, i run
ip linkand get the output
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: wlo1: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/ether 14:4f:8a:90:e7:d7 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: eno2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/ether 10:65:30:78:dd:2e brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff.
Okay i see that the wireless interface is down, and run
ip link set wlo1 upand then no output, so i run above command again to check the status and nothing has changed, same output.
I start googling on my phone for other people having the same problem, and find i can run
lspci -kand the relevant output for my wifi card is
00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless-AC 9560 [Jefferson Peak] (rev 10)
DeviceName: Onboard - Ethernet
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Wireless-AC 9560 [Jefferson Peak]
Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
Kernel modules: iwlwifiFull lspci -k output: https://termbin.com/s5c3f
I see the 'correct' driver, iwlwifi, is in use, as far as i can tell anyway.
I try running
dmesg | grep iwlwifiand get this output
[ 3.027130] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[ 3.052886] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Found debug destination: EXTERNAL_DRAM
[ 3.052888] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Found debug configuration: 0
[ 3.053151] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: loaded firmware version 46.ceaaecdc.0 op_mode iwlmvm
[ 3.324662] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Detected Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz, REV=0x318
[ 3.332277] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Applying debug destination EXTERNAL_DRAM
[ 3.332739] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Allocated 0x00400000 bytes for firmware monitor.
[ 3.372633] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: base HW address: 14:4f:8a:90:e7:d7
[ 3.653043] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3 wlo1: renamed from wlan0
[ 974.397511] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Applying debug destination EXTERNAL_DRAM
[ 974.513544] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Applying debug destination EXTERNAL_DRAM
[ 974.579209] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: FW already configured (0) - re-configuring
[ 974.598955] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: BIOS contains WGDS but no WRDSFull dmesg output: https://termbin.com/4ru7
I then google for the 'BIOS contains WGDS but no WRDS' error, and find very different answers, some say it doesn't matter and others say it has to do with ACPI, so i try and turn ACPI off with the kernel parameter
acpi=off from grub.
Doing that just makes it so i can't use my keyboard and i have to hold my power button for several seconds for the laptop to shutdown.
I try googling 'cant bring wifi interface up linux' and other like-wise terms, with no real help to get, other than i realise it says NO CARRIER in the output from ip link.
And now i'm not sure where to go from here, as this goes quite a bit outside my knowledge. I hope you all can help me.
Sincerely
Carsten
Last edited by HSCarsten (2020-02-09 23:53:52)
Offline
2: wlo1: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000<NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> shows the interface is up Wireless#Activate_the_interface
Offline
Oh wow seems like I missed that part from reading through the wiki, thanks for pointing it out. Seems wpa_supplicant was missing even though I used it just yesterday, but thanks for the help. I will be marking this as solved.
Offline