You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-09 17:41:55

maru

[SOLVED] Laptop does not want to resume after suspend [amdgpu]

Yesterday I updated kernel, and today I experienced an issue in waking my laptop after suspend. It just trivially doesn't turn on my display, and everything that helps in this case is just pressing my power button for 10 seconds to completely power off. I was thinking it was my fault because yesterday I had some difficulties with my system and I thought I had done something wrong, which led me to the decision to reinstall my system completely backing up all needed data.

And here I am, on my new system, and still display won't turn on after suspending.

I use amdgpu driver. What more to provide?

CPU: AMD A12-9720P RADEON R7
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon R5/R6/R7 Graphics

Last edited by maru (2020-02-23 20:10:06)

#2 2020-02-09 18:39:46

maru

Re: [SOLVED] Laptop does not want to resume after suspend [amdgpu]

Sorry for my panic though. Apparently, for some reason, on my previous installed system swap stopped working, and that's why I experienced the issue.

I've added /swapfile, added "resume=UUID=UUID" to the kernel parameters in /etc/default/grub, re-generated the grub config file via grub-mkconfig and now everything works perfectly and properly.

#3 2020-02-10 03:50:37

maru

I'm taking my words back. It just seemed to be solved, but it actually is not. What I know here is when I downgrade the actual linux package to  linux-5.4.arch1-1 then everything works perfect.

Edit: should add that I updaded my bios recently, maybe that caused the issue, but why even kernel downgrading would help?

Last edited by maru (2020-02-10 05:01:12)

#4 2020-02-10 15:48:45

bjo

Hi,
this reminds me of the bug I reported some days ago https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=206393 and I have a similar GPU.

But in your case, you just see nothing, also no pixels flowing from the corners to the middle?

#5 2020-02-10 21:35:51

maru

bjo wrote:

Hi,
this reminds me of the bug I reported some days ago https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=206393 and I have a similar GPU.

But in your case, you just see nothing, also no pixels flowing from the corners to the middle?

Yes, I see nothing. Just display a bit highlighted. Also, fortunately, I was able to find a solution by playing with kernel parameters. Basically, I've set up these parameters: amdgpu.gpu_recovery=1 amd_iommu=off amdgpu.dc=0

To be more clear, I can now resume after suspend without any issues, all's started working after I set up amdgpu.dc=0 parameter. For now I can see no more issues.

Not sure this entire topic should be closed and marked as solved as I don't know what to expect. I'll mark it as solved if I see no more issues on horizon in 10 days or so.

#6 2020-02-10 21:40:12

bjo

And everything is fine with amdgpu.dc=0? On my desktop with a RX460, I don't get any sound via HDMI when using amdgpu.dc=0.

So I think this issue could be considered as solved when it's solved upstream.

#7 2020-02-11 10:24:10

maru

bjo wrote:

And everything is fine with amdgpu.dc=0? On my desktop with a RX460, I don't get any sound via HDMI when using amdgpu.dc=0.

So I think this issue could be considered as solved when it's solved upstream.

Yeah, I can't see any issues with amdgpu.dc=0 parameter for now. Hope there won't be any ones. Anyways, I'll let you know.

#8 2020-02-11 19:51:55

bjo

An alternative would be using the new LTS kernel which is now at 5.4.18 and also does not have this issue.

#9 2020-02-27 02:17:05

veox
Website

maru wrote:

I was able to find a solution by playing with kernel parameters. Basically, I've set up these parameters: amdgpu.gpu_recovery=1 amd_iommu=off amdgpu.dc=0

Are you sure

amd_iommu=off

is needed?.. IOMMU is for virtualisation.

It's likely one of the other two is sufficient. If you're inclined to narrow it down, I'd say start with just `amdgpu.gpu_recovery=1`, then just `amdgpu.dc=0`.

The bug reports on bugzilla.kernel.org suggest it's an issue with amdgpu/drm, manifesting differently on various generations of cards that use `amdgpu`; all linked in comment of the bug report from bjo's reply.

Board footer