You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-10 17:46:45

loafer
Member
From: the pub
Registered: 2009-04-14
Posts: 1,772

Cannot boot with any kernel above 5.3.5

I have a HP Notebook with an Intel Xeon processor and Skylake GPU.

I use the standard Arch linux kernel and it will not boot with any kernel version above 5.3.5.

I use systemd boot and it simply hangs at a blank screen. There is zero output.

If I upgrade to a later kernel and reboot, then boot into the lts kernel and check e.g. the journal it shows the shutdown event but no boot related information for the failed attempt.

I have seen the thread regarding GPU hangs with Skylake processors but I do not get that far.

Where can I start trying to debug this issue?

$  lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 08)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520] (rev 07)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor Thermal Subsystem (rev 08)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 21)
00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem (rev 21)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI #1 (rev 21)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 21)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev f1)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #6 (rev f1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 21)
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC (rev 21)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus (rev 21)
00:1f.7 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Intel Corporation Device 9d26 (rev 21)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 07)
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 3165 (rev 81)

Last edited by loafer (2020-02-10 17:47:15)


All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

Offline

#2 2020-02-11 00:37:01

twelveeighty
Member
Registered: 2011-09-04
Posts: 1,456

Re: Cannot boot with any kernel above 5.3.5

loafer wrote:

check e.g. the journal it shows the shutdown event but no boot related information for the failed attempt.

That's a little odd. Did you set 'Storage=persistent' in /etc/systemd/journald.conf?

Offline

#3 2020-02-11 01:40:05

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,089

Re: Cannot boot with any kernel above 5.3.5

Did the issue appear with 5.3.6.arch1-1 or did the system miss some kernel releases?   If some releases were missed what was the first release with the issue?

Offline

#4 2020-02-11 08:20:29

loafer
Member
From: the pub
Registered: 2009-04-14
Posts: 1,772

Re: Cannot boot with any kernel above 5.3.5

@twelveeighty, I was using the defaults. I set 'Storage=persistent'  but it has no effect as I do not get that far. It is freezing as soon as I select the kernel to boot in the systemd boot menu. It doesn't get as far as starting any processes at all.

@loqs, I downloaded the kernels from the Archive and tested them. 5.3.6.arch1-1 is the first version with the issue. I am currently using 4.19.99-1-lts and it is OK. 5.4.18-1-lts in testing also gives me the issue.


All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

Offline

#5 2020-02-12 06:48:36

loafer
Member
From: the pub
Registered: 2009-04-14
Posts: 1,772

Re: Cannot boot with any kernel above 5.3.5

I have managed to narrow the cause down. The problematic kernels will boot with "acpi=off". However, this means I have no working laptop keyboard.


All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

Offline

#6 2020-02-12 08:40:24

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,089

Re: Cannot boot with any kernel above 5.3.5

There are a few changes in 5.3.6 that mention ACPI.  I would suggest bisecting between 5.3.5 and 5.3.6 to find the commit that is triggering the issue.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB