You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-05 19:38:47

lukyky414
Member
Registered: 2018-11-24
Posts: 23

[SOLVED] Help debugging kactivitymanager (or Plasma by KDE)

Hello,

I have big problems with my activities from Plasma/KDE. I cannot use the shortcut to switch to a specific activities. Mine are: META+F1 for activity 1, META+F2 for activity 2, ... to 4. It seems to be related to the linux kernel since it doesn't work on half the kernel update.
I already have a topic talking about that [there], but I am not posting here to get help on that (if you can help, just go on the other thread smile ), I just need help to search my problem. I don't know what to search for. I did try everything I know, didn't found anything. I don't really know what to search.

edit: wrong shortcut, change [ url] to [ topic]

Last edited by lukyky414 (2020-02-11 14:01:26)

Offline

#2 2020-02-05 19:53:12

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,399

Re: [SOLVED] Help debugging kactivitymanager (or Plasma by KDE)

Open xev from the xorg-xev, focus the appeared window, and press your combination, what output do you get?

Last edited by V1del (2020-02-05 19:53:38)

Offline

#3 2020-02-05 20:06:06

lukyky414
Member
Registered: 2018-11-24
Posts: 23

Re: [SOLVED] Help debugging kactivitymanager (or Plasma by KDE)

I'm sorry I was wrong: my shortcuts aren't CTRL+F1 ... but META+F1. Sorry for that, I updated the original post.
Here what I have with xev, a ""script"" when I press META, then press F1, then release F1 and finally release META:

KeyPress event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x5600001,
    root 0x1c4, subw 0x0, time 2799221, (953,720), root:(953,761),
    state 0x10, keycode 133 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyPress event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x5600001,
    root 0x1c4, subw 0x0, time 2799413, (953,720), root:(953,761),
    state 0x50, keycode 67 (keysym 0xffbe, F1), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x5600001,
    root 0x1c4, subw 0x0, time 2799577, (953,720), root:(953,761),
    state 0x50, keycode 67 (keysym 0xffbe, F1), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x5600001,
    root 0x1c4, subw 0x0, time 2799869, (953,720), root:(953,761),
    state 0x50, keycode 133 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XFilterEvent returns: False

Offline

#4 2020-02-05 20:21:43

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,399

Re: [SOLVED] Help debugging kactivitymanager (or Plasma by KDE)

So we do get the buttons, it's going through to the kernel and through xorg but your activities are not popping up? Just not changing? From what we've seen from the other thread I'm suspecting some session communication issues, what do you get for

loginctl session-status
hostnamectl
printenv | grep DBUS
journalctl -b

Offline

#5 2020-02-05 20:32:31

lukyky414
Member
Registered: 2018-11-24
Posts: 23

Re: [SOLVED] Help debugging kactivitymanager (or Plasma by KDE)

Yes my buttons are working. Switching between activities with the META+Q to show the list does work, switching with META+tab to switch with the last opened work too. It is my special shortcuts to switch to a specific activity wich doesn't work (you can also set them in the META+Q with the settings icon).
Here is my loginctl output (I have some programs running I am programing in the same time).

2 - lucas (1000)
	   Since: Wed 2020-02-05 20:19:53 CET; 1h 7min ago
	  Leader: 618 (sddm-helper)
	    Seat: seat0; vc1
	 Display: :0
	 Service: sddm; type x11; class user
	 Desktop: KDE
	   State: active
	    Unit: session-2.scope
		  ├─  618 /usr/lib/sddm/sddm-helper --socket /tmp/sddm-auth1d0e54b1-0cb4-4616-a2c6-4cd31e55d97a --id 1 --start /usr/bin/startplasma-x11 --user lucas
		  ├─  629 /usr/bin/kwalletd5 --pam-login 6 3
		  ├─  630 /usr/bin/startplasma-x11
		  ├─  648 /usr/lib/kf5/start_kdeinit --kded +kcminit_startup
		  ├─  649 kdeinit5: Running...
		  ├─  651 /usr/lib/kf5/klauncher --fd=9
		  ├─  655 kded5
		  ├─  662 /usr/bin/kaccess
		  ├─  695 /usr/bin/plasma_session
		  ├─  698 /usr/bin/ksmserver
		  ├─  708 /usr/bin/kwin_x11
		  ├─  712 /usr/bin/xembedsniproxy
		  ├─  716 /usr/lib/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1
		  ├─  718 /usr/bin/baloo_file
		  ├─  720 /usr/bin/plasmashell
		  ├─  733 /usr/bin/gmenudbusmenuproxy
		  ├─  736 /usr/lib/DiscoverNotifier
		  ├─  742 /opt/discord/Discord
		  ├─  745 /usr/lib/thunderbird/thunderbird
		  ├─  747 /usr/lib/org_kde_powerdevil
		  ├─  778 /opt/discord/Discord --type=zygote --no-sandbox
		  ├─  892 /opt/discord/Discord --type=gpu-process --enable-features=SharedArrayBuffer --no-sandbox --gpu-preferences=KAAAAAAAAACAAABAAQAAAAAAAAAAAGAAAAAAAAAAAAAIAAAAAAAAAAgAAAAAAAAA --service-request-channel-token=9476212293227000298
		  ├─ 1010 /opt/discord/Discord --type=renderer --no-sandbox --autoplay-policy=no-user-gesture-required --force-color-profile=srgb --enable-features=SharedArrayBuffer --service-pipe-token=16113165598223166797 --lang=en-US --app-path=/opt/discord/resources/app.asar --node-integration=false --webview-tag=false --no-sandbox --native-window-open --preload=/home/lucas/.config/discord/0.0.9/modules/discord_desktop_core/core.asar/app/mainScreenPreload.js --background-color=#202225 --num-raster-threads=4 --enable-main-frame-before-activation --service-request-channel-token=16113165598223166797 --renderer-client-id=6 --shared-files=v8_context_snapshot_data:100,v8_natives_data:101
		  ├─ 1071 /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
		  ├─ 1123 /usr/lib/firefox/firefox -contentproc -childID 1 -isForBrowser -prefsLen 1 -prefMapSize 212586 -parentBuildID 20200120145402 -greomni /usr/lib/firefox/omni.ja -appomni /usr/lib/firefox/browser/omni.ja -appdir /usr/lib/firefox/browser 1071 true tab
		  ├─ 1174 /usr/lib/firefox/firefox -contentproc -childID 2 -isForBrowser -prefsLen 6269 -prefMapSize 212586 -parentBuildID 20200120145402 -greomni /usr/lib/firefox/omni.ja -appomni /usr/lib/firefox/browser/omni.ja -appdir /usr/lib/firefox/browser 1071 true tab
		  ├─ 1233 /usr/bin/plasma-browser-integration-host /usr/lib/mozilla/native-messaging-hosts/org.kde.plasma.browser_integration.json plasma-browser-integration@kde.org
		  ├─ 1256 /usr/lib/firefox/firefox -contentproc -childID 3 -isForBrowser -prefsLen 7001 -prefMapSize 212586 -parentBuildID 20200120145402 -greomni /usr/lib/firefox/omni.ja -appomni /usr/lib/firefox/browser/omni.ja -appdir /usr/lib/firefox/browser 1071 true tab
		  ├─ 1402 /usr/lib/kf5/kio_http_cache_cleaner
		  ├─ 1406 file.so [kdeinit5] file local:/run/user/1000/klauncherRshAVk.1.slave-socket local:/run/user/1000/kded5NpuQfN.1.slave-socket
		  ├─ 2714 /usr/lib/firefox/firefox -contentproc -parentBuildID 20200120145402 -prefsLen 9022 -prefMapSize 212586 -greomni /usr/lib/firefox/omni.ja -appomni /usr/lib/firefox/browser/omni.ja -appdir /usr/lib/firefox/browser 1071 true rdd
		  ├─ 6455 /usr/lib/firefox/firefox -contentproc -childID 28 -isForBrowser -prefsLen 9075 -prefMapSize 212586 -parentBuildID 20200120145402 -greomni /usr/lib/firefox/omni.ja -appomni /usr/lib/firefox/browser/omni.ja -appdir /usr/lib/firefox/browser 1071 true tab
		  ├─ 6554 /usr/bin/konsole
		  ├─ 6557 /bin/bash
		  ├─ 7715 /usr/lib/firefox/firefox -contentproc -childID 33 -isForBrowser -prefsLen 9075 -prefMapSize 212586 -parentBuildID 20200120145402 -greomni /usr/lib/firefox/omni.ja -appomni /usr/lib/firefox/browser/omni.ja -appdir /usr/lib/firefox/browser 1071 true tab
		  ├─ 8619 /opt/VSCode-linux-x64/code --no-sandbox
		  ├─ 8621 /opt/VSCode-linux-x64/code --type=zygote --no-sandbox
		  ├─ 8640 /opt/VSCode-linux-x64/code --type=gpu-process --field-trial-handle=11051428819981875941,1432047808072448943,131072 --disable-features=LayoutNG,SpareRendererForSitePerProcess --disable-color-correct-rendering --no-sandbox --gpu-preferences=IAAAAAAAAAAgAAAgAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAIAAAAAAAAAA== --service-request-channel-token=12455459121211577999
		  ├─ 8759 /opt/VSCode-linux-x64/code --type=renderer --disable-color-correct-rendering --no-sandbox --field-trial-handle=11051428819981875941,1432047808072448943,131072 --disable-features=LayoutNG,SpareRendererForSitePerProcess --lang=en-US --standard-schemes --secure-schemes=vscode-resource --bypasscsp-schemes --cors-schemes=vscode-resource --fetch-schemes=vscode-resource --service-worker-schemes --app-path=/opt/VSCode-linux-x64/resources/app --node-integration --no-sandbox --no-zygote --background-color=#1e1e1e --disable-blink-features=Auxclick --num-raster-threads=4 --enable-main-frame-before-activation --service-request-channel-token=10695956186009268415 --renderer-client-id=6 --no-v8-untrusted-code-mitigations --shared-files=v8_context_snapshot_data:100,v8_natives_data:101
		  ├─ 8839 /opt/VSCode-linux-x64/code --type=renderer --disable-color-correct-rendering --no-sandbox --field-trial-handle=11051428819981875941,1432047808072448943,131072 --disable-features=LayoutNG,SpareRendererForSitePerProcess --lang=en-US --standard-schemes --secure-schemes=vscode-resource --bypasscsp-schemes --cors-schemes=vscode-resource --fetch-schemes=vscode-resource --service-worker-schemes --app-path=/opt/VSCode-linux-x64/resources/app --node-integration --webview-tag --no-sandbox --no-zygote --background-color=#1e1e1e --num-raster-threads=4 --enable-main-frame-before-activation --service-request-channel-token=510991228502186124 --renderer-client-id=7 --no-v8-untrusted-code-mitigations --shared-files=v8_context_snapshot_data:100,v8_natives_data:101
		  ├─ 8865 /opt/VSCode-linux-x64/code /opt/VSCode-linux-x64/resources/app/out/bootstrap-fork --type=watcherService
		  ├─ 8866 /opt/VSCode-linux-x64/code --inspect-port=0 /opt/VSCode-linux-x64/resources/app/out/bootstrap-fork --type=extensionHost
		  ├─ 8908 /home/lucas/.vscode/extensions/ms-vscode.cpptools-0.26.3/bin/Microsoft.VSCode.CPP.Extension.linux
		  ├─ 9039 /home/lucas/.vscode/extensions/ms-vscode.cpptools-0.26.3/bin/Microsoft.VSCode.CPP.IntelliSense.Msvc.linux 8908 2
		  ├─ 9062 /usr/bin/konsole
		  ├─ 9065 /bin/bash
		  ├─10531 file.so [kdeinit5] file local:/run/user/1000/klauncherRshAVk.1.slave-socket local:/run/user/1000/plasmashellsbvmTv.29.slave-socket
		  ├─10532 file.so [kdeinit5] file local:/run/user/1000/klauncherRshAVk.1.slave-socket local:/run/user/1000/plasmashellRCbmPX.30.slave-socket
		  ├─10533 file.so [kdeinit5] file local:/run/user/1000/klauncherRshAVk.1.slave-socket local:/run/user/1000/plasmashellRcGtBY.31.slave-socket
		  ├─10534 thumbnail.so [kdeinit5] thumbnail local:/run/user/1000/klauncherRshAVk.1.slave-socket local:/run/user/1000/plasmashelljJSZRn.32.slave-socket
		  └─10847 loginctl session-status

Here is my hostnamectl. What could you possibly get from this? You just need some PC info ?

   Static hostname: n/a
Transient hostname: archlinux
         Icon name: computer-laptop
           Chassis: laptop
        Machine ID: 2656f449de6244c8baf89f59ce87eeba
           Boot ID: 3b9c68881b4b4710905517eeda48fe0d
  Operating System: Arch Linux
            Kernel: Linux 5.5.2-arch1-1
      Architecture: x86-64

here is my printenv:

KONSOLE_DBUS_SERVICE=:1.74
KONSOLE_DBUS_SESSION=/Sessions/1
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus
KONSOLE_DBUS_WINDOW=/Windows/1

and finally the journalctl (didnt found anything about activity since the 17 of the last month hmm )

-- Logs begin at Mon 2020-01-13 16:21:59 CET, end at Fri 2020-01-24 08:17:40 CET. --
-- No entries --

No entries? wtf is it normal?

thanks for helping smile

Offline

#6 2020-02-05 20:52:26

lukyky414
Member
Registered: 2018-11-24
Posts: 23

Re: [SOLVED] Help debugging kactivitymanager (or Plasma by KDE)

I don't think it is related but I have multiple boot:
Windows 10, Ubuntu 16.04, and Archlinux.

Offline

#7 2020-02-06 08:44:57

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,399

Re: [SOLVED] Help debugging kactivitymanager (or Plasma by KDE)

   Static hostname: n/a

That could be a problem and it'd be generally a good idea to properly define this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … e_hostname

Offline

#8 2020-02-06 09:32:02

lukyky414
Member
Registered: 2018-11-24
Posts: 23

Re: [SOLVED] Help debugging kactivitymanager (or Plasma by KDE)

I must have forgotten to set this during my last Arch install Oops.
But it doesn't solve the problem hmm
I think I'll wait until next update and hope it solve itself..

Any more idea on where I could search for error? I didn't see anything in dmesg (maybe the wrong grep I don't know).
Maybe one missing service in systemctl? A sddm config missing?

Offline

#9 2020-02-06 09:36:30

lukyky414
Member
Registered: 2018-11-24
Posts: 23

Re: [SOLVED] Help debugging kactivitymanager (or Plasma by KDE)

One weird thing.
In Settings>Shortcuts>Global Shortcuts>Activity Manager. The Help button on the bottom open a new web page. When I press F1, it press the button. But when I press META+F1, the button is greyed out like it is pressed, but it doesn't open a new page.
I don't know what happen to my shortcuts sad

Offline

#10 2020-02-11 14:01:12

lukyky414
Member
Registered: 2018-11-24
Posts: 23

Re: [SOLVED] Help debugging kactivitymanager (or Plasma by KDE)

I have found a solution here.
I am marking it solved but this solution is 3 years old and could be solved in KDE itself instead of this work around.

Since this thread is about debugging, where could I look to found this bug?

Offline

#11 2020-02-11 15:19:03

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,399

Re: [SOLVED] Help debugging kactivitymanager (or Plasma by KDE)

It works just fine here, so I'm not sure whether this even is a bug or some left over configuration on your system

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB