You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-11 18:23:23

goosestepping
Member
Registered: 2019-09-25
Posts: 79

Edited /etc/resolv.conf and now the NetworkManager icon is a '?'.

Hey guys so I edited my resolv.conf file and changed it to mullvad's DNS server and since doing that my NetworkManager icon in gnome is a question mark...

I tried deleting the file and it is recreated exactly the same. How can I have it update to 192.168.0.1 or whatever again?

Thanks.

Offline

#2 2020-02-11 18:37:37

goosestepping
Member
Registered: 2019-09-25
Posts: 79

Re: Edited /etc/resolv.conf and now the NetworkManager icon is a '?'.

Oh actually never mind, i found that because I had my vpn activated that was changing the DNS servers in resolv.conf...

But I still don't know why the icon shows as a question mark... Does anybody have any idea?

Last edited by goosestepping (2020-02-11 18:38:07)

Offline

#3 2020-02-11 19:29:18

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op
From: The intertubes
Registered: 2004-11-07
Posts: 4,097

Re: Edited /etc/resolv.conf and now the NetworkManager icon is a '?'.

When using networkmanager it is generally a good idea to configure the dns trought it instead of handediting resolv.conf

Edit: and if you broke dns, then the network status checking in networkmanager will fail and it may display some indication for that.

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2020-02-11 19:30:18)


Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Offline

#4 2020-02-11 19:43:44

goosestepping
Member
Registered: 2019-09-25
Posts: 79

Re: Edited /etc/resolv.conf and now the NetworkManager icon is a '?'.

Oh hi. It's horseface. Thanks sir. I have no idea what it is then because that is all working fine... I disabled my wireguard vpn and now the icon does not change to a question mark after an hour or so...

Last edited by goosestepping (2020-02-11 19:44:06)

Offline

#5 2020-02-12 06:42:04

goosestepping
Member
Registered: 2019-09-25
Posts: 79

Re: Edited /etc/resolv.conf and now the NetworkManager icon is a '?'.

Does anybody know what could be causing this? It seems that if I disable my VPN then the icon stays correct the entire time, but then if I enable my VPN then after about one hour or so (it varies) the icon will change into a question mark...

Which logs could I check to see what is happening here?

edit: It seems that in journalctl -u NetworkManager.service it shows this at the moment that the icon changes...

Feb 12 17:37:36 coprinus NetworkManager[1146]: <warn>  [1581489456.4854] device (mullvadse3no2): connectivity: "/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/mullvadse3no2/rp_filter" is set to "1". This might break connectivity checking for IPv4 on this device

edit: I found a solution here, https://vitux.com/disable-connectivity- … e-portals/

Last edited by goosestepping (2020-02-12 07:01:14)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB