You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-12 00:24:01

twolf
Member
Registered: 2019-07-13
Posts: 11

Cannot get WiFi working, no error yet no connection

I am trying to get WiFi working on my new installation and when I connect through WiFi-menu it works without any errors yet when I ping anything I get a temporary failure in name resolution. I have even used net to manually and get the same result. This is my first install using the new base packages and I have installed wireless_tools, dialog, and wpa_supplicant.

Offline

#2 2020-02-12 00:44:36

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 20,702

Re: Cannot get WiFi working, no error yet no connection

What are the output of ip addr and of iw dev
?


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
The shortest way to ruin a country is to give power to demagogues.— Dionysius of Halicarnassus
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#3 2020-02-12 00:44:44

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,089

Re: Cannot get WiFi working, no error yet no connection

Can you ping by IP address e.g.

ping 8.8.8.8

If yes check /etc/resolv.conf for nameserver entries

Offline

#4 2020-02-12 00:53:53

twolf
Member
Registered: 2019-07-13
Posts: 11

Re: Cannot get WiFi working, no error yet no connection

loqs wrote:

Can you ping by IP address e.g.

ping 8.8.8.8

If yes check /etc/resolv.conf for nameserver entries

Nope, cannot reach connection.

Offline

#5 2020-02-12 00:54:55

twolf
Member
Registered: 2019-07-13
Posts: 11

Re: Cannot get WiFi working, no error yet no connection

ewaller wrote:

What are the output of ip addr and of iw dev
?

IP addr gives me the name of the network interface, but iw is not a round command, I will go back into the boot and try to install it.

Offline

#6 2020-02-12 00:57:58

twolf
Member
Registered: 2019-07-13
Posts: 11

Re: Cannot get WiFi working, no error yet no connection

Now I can’t even connect to WiFi in the iso

Offline

#7 2020-02-12 01:02:47

twolf
Member
Registered: 2019-07-13
Posts: 11

Re: Cannot get WiFi working, no error yet no connection

I have fixed the issue in the iso and have installed iw and iwd, one think I noticed is that the interface is called mlan0 on the iso and wlp1so when booted through GRUB.

Offline

#8 2020-02-12 01:05:14

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 20,702

Re: Cannot get WiFi working, no error yet no connection

twolf wrote:

IP addr gives me the name of the network interface

Really?
Doesn't tell you anything about the loopback interface, or any wired interfaces?
It does not tell you what IP addresses are assigned to the devices?
It does not well you the state of the interfaces, or whether they have carriers?
Huh; I'm confused.

but iw is not a round command, I will go back into the boot and try to install it.

try the deprecated command iwconfig


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
The shortest way to ruin a country is to give power to demagogues.— Dionysius of Halicarnassus
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#9 2020-02-12 01:07:10

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 20,702

Re: Cannot get WiFi working, no error yet no connection

twolf wrote:

I noticed is that the interface is called mlan0 on the iso and wlp1so when booted through GRUB.

That is normal. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … interfaces


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
The shortest way to ruin a country is to give power to demagogues.— Dionysius of Halicarnassus
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#10 2020-02-12 01:15:08

twolf
Member
Registered: 2019-07-13
Posts: 11

Re: Cannot get WiFi working, no error yet no connection

ewaller wrote:
twolf wrote:

I noticed is that the interface is called mlan0 on the iso and wlp1so when booted through GRUB.

That is normal. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … interfaces

Yes, I have since determined that. I removed the hyphens from the profile and can now start it without error but still no connection.

Offline

#11 2020-02-12 01:20:36

twolf
Member
Registered: 2019-07-13
Posts: 11

Re: Cannot get WiFi working, no error yet no connection

ewaller wrote:

What are the output of ip addr and of iw dev
?

I have done what you mentioned, the outputs are here: https://imgur.com/gallery/6lnt7p0

Offline

#12 2020-02-12 01:40:12

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 20,702

Re: Cannot get WiFi working, no error yet no connection

I am in a hotel, so my iw dev output is

ewaller@odin/home/ewaller % iw dev
phy#0
	Unnamed/non-netdev interface
		wdev 0x3
		addr 34:e6:ad:17:fe:53
		type P2P-device
		txpower 0.00 dBm
	Interface wlo1
		ifindex 3
		wdev 0x1
		addr 34:e6:ad:17:fe:53
		ssid Courtyard_GUEST
		type managed
		channel 112 (5560 MHz), width: 40 MHz, center1: 5550 MHz
		txpower 22.00 dBm
		multicast TXQ:
			qsz-byt	qsz-pkt	flows	drops	marks	overlmt	hashcol	tx-bytes	tx-packets
			0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0		0
ewaller@odin/home/ewaller % 

Note that I have associated with an access point (the ssid and link information)
Your output shows none of this.  This is the wireless equivalent of an unplugged wired interface.  loqs was looking to see if you had a connection problem, or a DNS problem.  I went straight to assumption you had a connection problem and wanted to determine if you were associated (you were not) or whether you failed to get an IP address (you did not make it that far)

So, there is something going on with wifi-menu.   Any chance there is something else (besides wifi-menu [part of netctl]) fighting for control; like NetworkManager  ?

In any event, you are stuck on step one.  Nothing will work until iw dev indicates an active ssid


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
The shortest way to ruin a country is to give power to demagogues.— Dionysius of Halicarnassus
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#13 2020-02-12 01:44:29

Zod
Member
From: Hoosiertucky
Registered: 2019-03-10
Posts: 636

Re: Cannot get WiFi working, no error yet no connection

The first thing is, no one wants to look at a linked image.

You want to post any output you receive wrapped in [ code] [ /code ] tags.

To get the output use your mouse and highlight the output in the terminal, then put you cursor in the reply box and either wheel click or center click.

Don't forget to use [ code ] [ /code ] tags.

Next, I noticed you installed IWD, did you do anything to configure it?

Edit: Pardon

Last edited by Zod (2020-02-12 01:51:03)

Offline

#14 2020-02-12 02:14:44

twolf
Member
Registered: 2019-07-13
Posts: 11

Re: Cannot get WiFi working, no error yet no connection

ewaller wrote:

I am in a hotel, so my iw dev output is

ewaller@odin/home/ewaller % iw dev
phy#0
	Unnamed/non-netdev interface
		wdev 0x3
		addr 34:e6:ad:17:fe:53
		type P2P-device
		txpower 0.00 dBm
	Interface wlo1
		ifindex 3
		wdev 0x1
		addr 34:e6:ad:17:fe:53
		ssid Courtyard_GUEST
		type managed
		channel 112 (5560 MHz), width: 40 MHz, center1: 5550 MHz
		txpower 22.00 dBm
		multicast TXQ:
			qsz-byt	qsz-pkt	flows	drops	marks	overlmt	hashcol	tx-bytes	tx-packets
			0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0		0
ewaller@odin/home/ewaller % 

Note that I have associated with an access point (the ssid and link information)
Your output shows none of this.  This is the wireless equivalent of an unplugged wired interface.  loqs was looking to see if you had a connection problem, or a DNS problem.  I went straight to assumption you had a connection problem and wanted to determine if you were associated (you were not) or whether you failed to get an IP address (you did not make it that far)

So, there is something going on with wifi-menu.   Any chance there is something else (besides wifi-menu [part of netctl]) fighting for control; like NetworkManager  ?

In any event, you are stuck on step one.  Nothing will work until iw dev indicates an active ssid

I have since reinstalled arch and have gotten the same result, this time I installed a de before shutting down, when I set mlan0 up before connecting I get the following:

Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/netctl@.service; static; vendor present: disabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
Docs: man:netctl.profile(5)

Offline

#15 2020-02-12 02:42:18

twolf
Member
Registered: 2019-07-13
Posts: 11

Re: Cannot get WiFi working, no error yet no connection

twolf wrote:
ewaller wrote:

I am in a hotel, so my iw dev output is

ewaller@odin/home/ewaller % iw dev
phy#0
	Unnamed/non-netdev interface
		wdev 0x3
		addr 34:e6:ad:17:fe:53
		type P2P-device
		txpower 0.00 dBm
	Interface wlo1
		ifindex 3
		wdev 0x1
		addr 34:e6:ad:17:fe:53
		ssid Courtyard_GUEST
		type managed
		channel 112 (5560 MHz), width: 40 MHz, center1: 5550 MHz
		txpower 22.00 dBm
		multicast TXQ:
			qsz-byt	qsz-pkt	flows	drops	marks	overlmt	hashcol	tx-bytes	tx-packets
			0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0		0
ewaller@odin/home/ewaller % 

Note that I have associated with an access point (the ssid and link information)
Your output shows none of this.  This is the wireless equivalent of an unplugged wired interface.  loqs was looking to see if you had a connection problem, or a DNS problem.  I went straight to assumption you had a connection problem and wanted to determine if you were associated (you were not) or whether you failed to get an IP address (you did not make it that far)

So, there is something going on with wifi-menu.   Any chance there is something else (besides wifi-menu [part of netctl]) fighting for control; like NetworkManager  ?

In any event, you are stuck on step one.  Nothing will work until iw dev indicates an active ssid

I have since reinstalled arch and have gotten the same result, this time I installed a de before shutting down, when I set mlan0 up before connecting I get the following:

Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/netctl@.service; static; vendor present: disabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
Docs: man:netctl.profile(5)

Doesn’t work with netctl-auto as well.

Offline

#16 2020-02-12 02:55:50

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 20,702

Re: Cannot get WiFi working, no error yet no connection

Okay, look at the (lengthy) output of iw dev mlano scan  ?
Note:  You need to run that as root.    Do you see a site survey that includes your access point?


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
The shortest way to ruin a country is to give power to demagogues.— Dionysius of Halicarnassus
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB