You are not logged in.

#51 2010-10-02 07:05:49

shak

Re: How do you manage your passwords ?

I Just use a long password similar to all the others but a little bit different for each service i use

#52 2010-10-04 09:14:17

dakt

My head...I use some sort of bio algorithm to form my passwords.

#53 2010-10-04 14:57:58

stryder

keepassx

#54 2020-01-28 21:42:56

no-cheating

I have one long complicated password, which I know by heart and it's not written down anywhere. There is a part in the middle of this password that I modify depending on what service do I log into and with what username. That makes each service's password a little different.

#55 2020-01-29 04:01:02

ewaller
Administrator

no-cheating wrote:

I have one long complicated password, which I know by heart and it's not written down anywhere. There is a part in the middle of this password that I modify depending on what service do I log into and with what username. That makes each service's password a little different.

... And the difference represents low entropy

Edit:  You might have a strong password on the order of 200 (impressive) bits,  but if the raw password is compromised, your derivative password might be less than 30 bits (pathetic)

Edit;  Oh, I  use pass.

Last edited by ewaller (2020-01-29 04:11:41)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#56 2020-01-29 15:54:02

qinohe

ewaller wrote:
no-cheating wrote:

Edit:  You might have a strong password on the order of 200 (impressive) bits,  but if the raw password is compromised, your derivative password might be less than 30 bits (pathetic)

Edit;  Oh, I  use pass.

200 bits should take a long time to crack and if there all in you head you'd need a good psychic to get it out wink
However, I never thought about the low entropy part...
Pass might be a better idea..

#57 2020-01-29 16:21:12

schard
Website

The point is that the password does not need to be cracked.
Crappy-Service.com just needs to store the users' passwords in plain text and get their database leaked that the accountant's brother-in-law hosts on his Windows XP home server.
Then @ewaller's critique applies. Just the varying part needs to be guessed.
I use three passwords:
* One master password for keepassx2 where all my online accounts are stored with max-length cryptic passwords
* One password for my linux user account.
* One password for my LUKS partitions.
I only need to remember those three and they are also cryptic and not written down or stored anywhere in plain text.
PS: I store my SSH keys' passwords in addition to keepassx2 in my gnome-keyring, so that I have them ready to go after login.

Last edited by schard (2020-01-29 16:25:30)

#58 2020-01-29 16:55:10

qinohe

schard wrote:

The point is that the password does not need to be cracked.
Crappy-Service.com just needs to store the users' passwords in plain text and get their database leaked that the accountant's brother-in-law hosts on his Windows XP home server.
Then @ewaller's critique applies. Just the varying part needs to be guessed.

Fair point.

I use three passwords:
* One master password for keepassx2 where all my online accounts are stored with max-length cryptic passwords
* One password for my linux user account.
* One password for my LUKS partitions.
I only need to remember those three and they are also cryptic and not written down or stored anywhere in plain text.
PS: I store my SSH keys' passwords in addition to keepassx2 in my gnome-keyring, so that I have them ready to go after login.

I have my passwords in an encrypted container.
SSH and user account I do the same.
Passwords with low entropy are all OTP based.
Shops etc. all have their own PW stored in the encrypted container.
So, I should be safe, though, I should have a look at a PW keeper;)

#59 2020-01-30 05:29:28

twelveeighty

schard wrote:

I do the same but with LastPass instead of keepass. The only things I do not store in LastPass are my personal banking passwords. I can't get myself to type that into a stored system for whatever archaic reasons.

#60 2020-01-30 11:26:09

zebulon

There is Biwarden as an encrypted, online and open-source solution.

#61 2020-02-08 20:54:47

synapse_rift

ewaller wrote:
no-cheating wrote:

Edit;  Oh, I  use pass.

I'm with ewaller I use pass. I don't trust my memory that well

#62 2020-02-09 10:13:20

sekret

I used to use supergenpass, now I use lesspass, which is basically the same, but better imho, because it also includes special characters. I generates passwords based on a master password, which is strong of course. To make it more convenient I use a dmenu-script for it. I use such passwords for every website and always as strong as possible.

So I know my master password, my luks password, user and root login password, my password for the university (generated by supergenpass, but I had to type it often, so eventually I remembered). That's it.

I just like the fact that I don't know any of my online passwords and they aren't written down anywhere. Gives me a strange kind of satisfaction :-) And when I talk to people about this (yes, happens sometimes), I always have a good riddle at hand.

Last edited by sekret (2020-02-09 10:17:55)

#63 2020-02-09 10:23:04

10PinkPanther

I store them in my empty head.

#64 2020-02-09 10:57:40

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Pen and paper.

#65 2020-02-17 11:17:35

xerxes_

What do you think about storing passwords in kwallet, gnome-keyring or gnome-passwordsafe? Is it secure?

#66 2020-02-17 11:23:54

schard
Website

As always, it depends. I use gnome-keyring to store certain passwords.
I also use the password storages of firefox and chromium for storing passwords for certain websites.
Since I do not use that sync BS, all of these passwords are just sored on my local machines i.e. on a LUKS encryped partition, the password to which exist nowhere except in my head.

Board footer