You are not logged in.
Pages: 1
Edit: fixed it myself by adding nomodeset to sys parameters. Not sure why it works now and what was the exact issue before though.
Hi folks!
Newbie to Arch here, so I'm sure you'll see me around here a few times more with, hopefully, gradually decreasing stupid questions.
I recently following the Arch install guide, with a hint from this site because the beginner guide did not explain how to properly install a bootloader.
Upon finally making it into Arch I discovered I had no wifi connection available, so went back to the official documentation. Here I was informed to first use the lspci command(I've got an intel wifi card, not usb connected). This
caused my system to lock up for roughly a second then crash. It displays a bunch of errors, but they fade by so quickly I can't tell what they are saying. It does display "nvidia" in at least one of them. This is kind of something I
expected as I knew Nvidia driver support would be a potential issue according to friends. I googled to find I need to disable the Nouveau driver, I attempted to do so by blacklisting it in modprobe in the system parameters. This
to no avail, my system still crashes upon calling the command.
My relevant specs are:
An intel wifi card(not sure which, but if necessary I can probably find it)
Nvidia GTX 1060 card
Any help would be greatly appreciated. If any more information is needed I'll gladly provide it
Last edited by PiepsC (2020-02-17 14:26:47)
Offline
Figuring it was a driver related issue I removed the modprobe blacklist line, and instead added "nomodeset" to the system parameters. This prevented the system from crashing. I am not entirely sure why, it's simply something I used previously to make a kali VM render anything at all. Any explanation on what happened and why would still be appreciated.
Last edited by PiepsC (2020-02-17 14:27:18)
Offline
Nouveau often has issues with querying newer chips. if you opt for the proprietary driver this should ultimately work regardless. Afaik blacklisting should work as well, so I think you might've not used the correct syntax and nouveau not actually being blacklisted.
Last edited by V1del (2020-02-17 14:34:52)
Offline
Pages: 1