You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-19 14:24:35

newsboost
Member
Registered: 2016-07-24
Posts: 157

[SOLVED] libGL error: failed to load... (blacklist nvidia-drm ?)?

Hi all,

I have a huge problem after having tried "bumblebee" (which also never really worked). When I start one of my programs (not freeware) it says:

MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast (search paths /usr/lib/dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

I've obviously googled for this problem - trying to find a quick solution. I've tried to reinstall nvidia etc. I suspect the problem is from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee - I quote:

Note: The bumblebee package will install a kernel module blacklist file that prevents the nvidia-drm module from loading on boot. Remember to uninstall this if you later switch away to other solutions.

How do I see if the nvidia-drm module is blacklisted? Does this look ok?

# lsmod | grep -i nvidia
nvidia_modeset       1118208  2
nvidia              20467712  125 nvidia_modeset
ipmi_msghandler        73728  2 ipmi_devintf,nvidia

I've uninstalled bumbledee - but can't remember which config-files I manually changed. I wish to go back to using nvidia - but don't know what's wrong now. Also at startup, it takes a very long time before starting the actual GDM (gnome desktop login manager). Could anyone please help with ideas for what to reinstall or what to do? I would be very grateful for that, thanks!

Last edited by newsboost (2020-02-19 15:50:29)

Offline

#2 2020-02-19 14:28:02

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: The Wirral
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 9,003
Website

Re: [SOLVED] libGL error: failed to load... (blacklist nvidia-drm ?)?

newsboost wrote:

How do I see if the nvidia-drm module is blacklisted?

grep -R 'blacklist' /etc/modprobe.d

Jin, Jîyan, Azadî

Offline

#3 2020-02-19 14:36:12

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,396

Re: [SOLVED] libGL error: failed to load... (blacklist nvidia-drm ?)?

That output would include nvidia_drm if it was loaded. So no this doesn't look ok.

grep -H nvidia /etc/modprobe.d/*  

for what reason did you "try bumblebee" ? If you are on a system that requires the nvidia driver there's no point in using bumblebee.

Edit: Argh need to refresh more

Last edited by V1del (2020-02-19 14:37:37)

Offline

#4 2020-02-19 15:01:06

newsboost
Member
Registered: 2016-07-24
Posts: 157

Re: [SOLVED] libGL error: failed to load... (blacklist nvidia-drm ?)?

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
newsboost wrote:

How do I see if the nvidia-drm module is blacklisted?

grep -R 'blacklist' /etc/modprobe.d

Ok, thanks a lot - I only have i2c-hid blacklisted - so if this is the only place modules can be blacklisted (I was unsure if there were other places things could be blacklisted), then this part is ok. But there's still something wrong...

Offline

#5 2020-02-19 15:07:32

newsboost
Member
Registered: 2016-07-24
Posts: 157

Re: [SOLVED] libGL error: failed to load... (blacklist nvidia-drm ?)?

V1del wrote:

That output would include nvidia_drm if it was loaded. So no this doesn't look ok.

grep -H nvidia /etc/modprobe.d/*  

for what reason did you "try bumblebee" ? If you are on a system that requires the nvidia driver there's no point in using bumblebee.

Edit: Argh need to refresh more

Thanks, so the wiki wasn't wrong. Then I don't know how to continue from here - the wiki should/could have provided instructions for solving that nvidia_drm-issue...? The command "grep -H nvidia /etc/modprobe.d/*  " shows absolutely nothing.

Reason to try bumblebee: I was (until I gave up) trying to make this work: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=252985 (forum thread Dell Docking Station WD19TB+Dell Alienware 15R4 - thunderbolt usb-c?) - I also tried some of these things https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus - no luck... I should never have messed with these things... I'm now desperate to make it work again. Any help is greatly appreciated, I think I already tried reinstalling nvidia and rebooting! The problem seems to be that nvidia-drm is blacklisted, but I don't know how, is that right?

Offline

#6 2020-02-19 15:23:59

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,396

Re: [SOLVED] libGL error: failed to load... (blacklist nvidia-drm ?)?

I was absolutely certain there must be a non /etc place for modprobe options, so you might have to try

grep -H nvidia /usr/lib/modprobe.d/*

which I incidentally found out by looking at bumblebee's file list. But as it is included in bumblebee's file list that also means that said file would be removed if you removed bumblebee.

Should that not provide a resolution please post

pacman -Qs nvidia
dmesg

as well as the current Xorg.0.log

FWIW trying some of these things is not really a good idea, if you do not ensure to properly undo everything before trying something else all of them are mutually exclusive and you can configure yourself to a broken system if you don't follow them correctly or properly revert the changes to try another approach.

Last edited by V1del (2020-02-19 15:26:11)

Offline

#7 2020-02-19 15:42:48

newsboost
Member
Registered: 2016-07-24
Posts: 157

Re: [SOLVED] libGL error: failed to load... (blacklist nvidia-drm ?)?

You're right. I know normally it's a good idea to write down everything that's installed + have a list of manually modified config-files, so it's possible to revert... In this case, it's something I've been working on on/off for some days - so I kind of lost track of exactly what I did and when... But... I have really good news:

# grep -H nvidia /usr/lib/modprobe.d/*
/usr/lib/modprobe.d/optimus-manager.conf:blacklist nvidia_drm
/usr/lib/modprobe.d/optimus-manager.conf:blacklist nvidia_uvm
/usr/lib/modprobe.d/optimus-manager.conf:blacklist nvidia_modeset
/usr/lib/modprobe.d/optimus-manager.conf:blacklist nvidia

# yay -Rns optimus-manager

Turns out I had "just" forgot to uninstall/remove optimus-manager - after a reboot, everything works again.

I'm very very grateful, you've saved my life (almost) - thanks a lot for the help, now I can work again on my laptop! :-)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB