You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-23 09:37:43

Ordoviz

Review request for font packaging guidelines

I noticed that the Arch package guidelines are missing guidelines for fonts. When I made my first font packages I wasn’t sure which dependencies are needed. That and many other things I only learned over time by looking at other’s PKGBUILDs and reading the comments. Because of that I think that some guidelines would be useful. Can you please review my draft on the Wiki?

#2 2020-02-23 12:03:51

progandy

Re: Review request for font packaging guidelines

Do not depend on xorg-font-utils, it is only a transitional package. Use xorg-mkfontscale instead if you want that. I don't know if all fonts should depend on it, though it shouldn't really hurt. Pure Wayland is not yet mainstream.

Last edited by progandy (2020-02-23 18:04:05)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#3 2020-02-23 17:36:05

eschwartz
Fellow

As a matter of curiosity, what made you decide to disagree with namcap and suggest to add dependencies on fontconfig and stuff? The first time someone installs fontconfig -- because they are using something that makes use of fontconfig -- the package will run fc-cache and fully build the entire fontconfig cache, which is used by... fontconfig!

Why force people to install fontconfig in the event they don't have it installed, just for the sake of a hook they don't need? People installing the hook are the only people who need the hook.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#4 2020-02-23 18:58:23

Ordoviz

To be honest, I simply added the dependencies because every other font package I have seen so far includes them. My guess is that these packages used an .install script to update the font cache in the past and the maintainers simply kept the dependencies when they got rid of the .install script.

#5 2023-05-05 15:00:07

milojarow

Ordoviz wrote:

I noticed that the Arch package guidelines are missing guidelines for fonts. When I made my first font packages I wasn’t sure which dependencies are needed. That and many other things I only learned over time by looking at other’s PKGBUILDs and reading the comments. Because of that I think that some guidelines would be useful. Can you please review my draft on the Wiki?

Ordoviz thank you for your generous contribution to the wiki. I was able to generate the packages and install my fonts thanks to that. You are the best.

Board footer