You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-24 01:32:07

josephemorgan91
Member
Registered: 2017-01-08
Posts: 24

Windows partition fails boot after moving to new drive

Hey there,

I was recently moving a few partitions between drives to fix some organizational issues that have risen up as I've purchased new disks.

Originally, I had /dev/sda with:
/dev/sda1/ - ntfs - Windows Recovery
/dev/sda2/ - fat32 - EFI
/dev/sda3/ - ntfs - ** This is where windows was installed **
/dev/sda4/ - ext4 - ** This is where arch linux was installed **

I moved /dev/sda3 (the windows partition) to a new disk and resized /dev/sda4 (arch linux) to use the unallocated space. This was all done through a gparted live usb, booted in UEFI mode.

I then booted into an Arch installation USB (also in UEFI mode), arch-chroot'ed, updated everything in my fstab and confirmed that the fstab entries worked by mounting everything with mount -a

After that, I made sure os-prober was installed and ran grub-mkconfig, which reports that windows boot manager is found on /dev/sda2, which is my EFI partition.

The problem is that when I try to boot, windows errors out, tries to repair startup and gives up. It seems like the windows boot manager doesn't know that everything has been moved to /dev/sdb1.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? How can I configure the windows boot manager to boot from the new location?

Offline

#2 2020-02-24 07:43:53

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,396

Re: Windows partition fails boot after moving to new drive

Not an Arch issue, ask on a Windows board.

Closing. -- For deletion.

It was apparently solvable via linux measures, reopening for the purposes of sharing a relevant solution.

Last edited by V1del (2020-02-25 08:47:01)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB