You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-19 13:48:17

TeFiLeDo
Website

Laptop screen stays black after suspend

Hi everybody,

I installed Arch on my laptop a few months ago and everything worked fine. Then I installed an update (about three weeks ago) and ever since then, my screen stays black when I wake my laptop after suspending it. This happened every single time I tried. It also happens regardless of whether I suspend via KDEs GUI or systemctl suspend.

Also, it seems to only affect the screen. I can switch to TTY 2, log in and trigger poweroff or reboot from the command line (both work when I log in as root, I haven't tried reboot as a normal user yet). However, even on TTY 2, I can't see anything.

One thing more I should mention is, that the backlight of the screen turns on. When I first encountered this issue in a dark room, I was able to see the light coming from the screen, which stayed black regardless.

This issue wasn't fixed by subsequent updates (all packages are up to date as of now, with nodejs being the only exception).

I was unable to find someone else with this issue. I didn't find anything, neither with Google nor in the wiki or the forum.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

My system

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y700-15ACZ with an AMD processor and graphics card. I use the amdgpu driver. My system is encrypted (except the EFI partition) with LUKS and on top of that I use btrfs on both drives.

bootctl entry:

linux   /vmlinuz-linux
initrd  /initramfs-linux.img
options root=/dev/mapper/ARCH_ROOT rw rootflags=relatime,ssd,space_cache,subvol=@

# These two lines fix an error that made it impossible for me to change the backlight brightness.
# I think they are unlikely to be the problem because I retried with them being commented out.
options acpi_osi=linux
options acpi_backlight=native

My /etc/mkinitcpio.conf (only the hooks array, I didn't change anything else):

HOOKS=(systemd autodetect keyboard sd-vconsole modconf block sd-encrypt filesystems)

As DE I use KDE and SDDM is my display manager.

Similar problems

I found some people that had similar problems in the forum, however, all of them were different from what I experience:

• In this post the problem exists only when the laptop is suspended for a longer period of time, while I have the problem even if I wake mine immediately after suspending.

• In a couple of other posts the system didn't wake at all. However, I can switch to TTY 2, log in there and run commands. I just can't see what I'm doing.

Last edited by TeFiLeDo (2020-02-19 13:55:08)

#2 2020-02-21 05:34:00

digital-_-mystik

Re: Laptop screen stays black after suspend

I have been facing the same issue ever since the 5.5.x kernels. Ended up going to LTS in the mean time, but I am curious as to what the problem is myself. I'm guessing it has something to do with amdgpu not meshing well. I tried adding:

amdgpu.dc=0 amdgpu.gpu_recovery=1 

to my parameters which works temporarily, but inevitably crashes on subsequent resume-from-suspend's. I personally can't even enter another tty. Hopefully it gets ironed out.

Last edited by digital-_-mystik (2020-02-21 05:34:52)

#3 2020-02-23 09:03:50

dxal34

I am also susceptible to this with the 5.5.5 kernel, amdgpu and a videocard called "Stoney [Radeon R2/R3/R4/R5 Graphics]" in the output of lspci.

Some things to add:

• It is not necessary for me to go to the TTY to see that the system works: I am able to open a terminal and type in commands, like "shutdown now", from the X session.

• I am also not sure if it's relevant, but I am able to control the brightness of the backlight, so it is possible to make the blacks screen brighter or dimmer.

• The issue happens regardless of whether X.org is started, even with TTY only.

• journalctl shows nothing suspicious when the system is resumed from suspension.

#4 2020-02-24 01:42:41

digital-_-mystik

looks like it has been reported upstream which is good news for us: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=206575

#5 2020-03-16 10:42:35

borix134

I am having this exact same issue (backlight turns on as well). I'm on an ideapad 310 (amdgpu). I noticed that when I tried pm-utils as a remedy, it allowed me to run pm-suspend once and only once, after that it wouldn't wake up again.

Board footer