You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-25 12:22:43

kove
Member
Registered: 2017-12-21
Posts: 5

aurora — automatic package builder with docker

Hi,

I've built a program in Go that runs makepkg against AUR packages from time to time using Docker containers. It's free and open-source software.

GitHub: https://github.com/kovetskiy/aurora

Let me know what you think about it.

Last edited by kove (2020-02-25 12:23:05)

Offline

#2 2020-02-25 15:10:31

eschwartz
Trusted User/Bug Wrangler
Registered: 2014-08-08
Posts: 3,522

Re: aurora — automatic package builder with docker

sudo pacman -Sy "aurora/${package}"

Can we not? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … nsupported


Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Online

#3 2020-02-25 15:12:20

poscat
Member
Registered: 2020-02-17
Posts: 10

Re: aurora — automatic package builder with docker

Can it resolve dependencies? Can it handle cyclic dependency graphs? Can it track upstream source changes(for -git packages)?

Offline

#4 2020-02-25 15:14:13

poscat
Member
Registered: 2020-02-17
Posts: 10

Re: aurora — automatic package builder with docker

I was considering building something similar but unfortunately I'm not very familiar with graph related algorithms.

Offline

#5 2020-02-25 17:43:33

kove
Member
Registered: 2017-12-21
Posts: 5

Re: aurora — automatic package builder with docker

poscat wrote:

Can it resolve dependencies?

Sort of, right now it can't handle AUR packages as dependencies but can handle packages from core/extra/community repositories. But it can be fixed if yay will be used instead of makepkg.

poscat wrote:

Can it track upstream source changes(for -git packages)?

Yes, this is the main goal of aurora.

poscat wrote:

Can it handle cyclic dependency graphs?

Nope. Not yet.

> Can we not? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … nsupported

AFAIK there is no way to sync a specific repository database (and only it), right?

Last edited by kove (2020-02-25 17:44:02)

Offline

#6 2020-02-25 17:50:20

eschwartz
Trusted User/Bug Wrangler
Registered: 2014-08-08
Posts: 3,522

Re: aurora — automatic package builder with docker

kove wrote:

AFAIK there is no way to sync a specific repository database (and only it), right?

That's because once again, it isn't supported...

Why would syncing the "aurora" database on its own and having it be out of sync with core/extra/community, be any less bad than syncing only the "community" database on its own and having it be out of sync with core/extra?

It is a partial update; don't do it. The aurora packages are built against core/extra/community and need to be in sync with their core/extra/community dependencies.


Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Online

#7 2020-02-25 17:55:22

kove
Member
Registered: 2017-12-21
Posts: 5

Re: aurora — automatic package builder with docker

eschwartz wrote:
kove wrote:

AFAIK there is no way to sync a specific repository database (and only it), right?

That's because once again, it isn't supported...

Why would syncing the "aurora" database on its own and having it be out of sync with core/extra/community, be any less bad than syncing only the "community" database on its own and having it be out of sync with core/extra?

It is a partial update; don't do it. The aurora packages are built against core/extra/community and need to be in sync with their core/extra/community dependencies.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. That's not always possible for me to do -Syu (I have zfs-linux package that depends on a specific version of linux and its release is often delayed for a day or two, so the full system upgrade is not possible).

Offline

#8 2020-02-25 19:54:21

eschwartz
Trusted User/Bug Wrangler
Registered: 2014-08-08
Posts: 3,522

Re: aurora — automatic package builder with docker

kove wrote:

Yeah, I understand what you mean. That's not always possible for me to do -Syu (I have zfs-linux package that depends on a specific version of linux and its release is often delayed for a day or two, so the full system upgrade is not possible).

I don't think you understand in the slightest.

DO NOT recommend for other people to do partial updates because of something personally unique to your setup.

Even for your personal setup, you should not be doing partial updates, because that is not how people handle out-of-tree kernel modules. Either use an LTS kernel, or put the kernel in your pacman.conf IgnorePkg, or both. DO NOT do partial updates.


Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Online

#9 2020-02-25 20:23:26

kove
Member
Registered: 2017-12-21
Posts: 5

Re: aurora — automatic package builder with docker

eschwartz wrote:
kove wrote:

Yeah, I understand what you mean. That's not always possible for me to do -Syu (I have zfs-linux package that depends on a specific version of linux and its release is often delayed for a day or two, so the full system upgrade is not possible).

I don't think you understand in the slightest.

DO NOT recommend for other people to do partial updates because of something personally unique to your setup.

Even for your personal setup, you should not be doing partial updates, because that is not how people handle out-of-tree kernel modules. Either use an LTS kernel, or put the kernel in your pacman.conf IgnorePkg, or both. DO NOT do partial updates.

Thanks for your input.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB