You are not logged in.
First things first: everything works well in Firefox. I can type everything (including special characters) and I can copy/paste everything.
In the terminal (zsh) I can type some characters (e.g. !"§$%&/()=?) but not others (e.g. üöäß). Furthermore, if I copy some text (e.g. abcüöä) and paste it in my zsh-terminal, it looks like this: abc???
I tried using another terminal: xfce4-terminal. If I paste the same string (abcüöä), the output is: abc <fc><f6><e4>
More infos:
"locale -a" returns (de_CH is my actual keyboard layout):
C
de_CH.utf8
en_US.utf8
POSIX
I have installed many fonts, including ttf-dejavu and ttf-inconsolata.
I would be pretty happy if someone could help me with this problem.
Last edited by Vilib29 (2020-02-25 22:25:31)
Offline
Bad (non-utf, likely) locale,
localePossible reasons:
* you dind't configure the locale at all
* you just edited the bashrc
* sth. in zshrc resets it
* ceterum censo: OMZ
Online
Bad (non-utf, likely) locale,
localePossible reasons:
* you dind't configure the locale at all
* you just edited the bashrc
* sth. in zshrc resets it
* ceterum censo: OMZ
`locale` returns:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
Since its all UTF-8, it is correctly configured, right?
EDIT: wording
Last edited by Vilib29 (2020-02-25 20:41:13)
Offline
That's correct, but the LC_ALL makes me wonder whether this stems from a zshrc entry and the locale of the terminal is off
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 xfce4-terminalfeel free to try any terminal, just make sure it gets LC_ALL exported - then try pasting into that terminal.
Also
localectlOnline
@seth many thanks for your reply! Because of your post I re-checked the Localization section from the installation guide and noticed that I somehow forgot to create the `/etc/locale.conf` file.
If anyone stumbles upon this thread, simply create the file. In my case I entered the following content:
LANG=de_CH.UTF-8
Everything works perfectly fine now. Many thanks again - Arch truly has an awesome community!
Offline
Cool.
Please always remember to mark resolved threads by editing your initial posts subject - so others will know that there's no task left, but maybe a solution to find.
Thanks.
Online