You are not logged in.

#6776 2020-02-23 21:17:19

coolaid

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello everyone, I recently installed arch on my laptop and started using it and learn about Linux in general!
Looking forward to hanging out on this forum.

#6777 2020-02-24 14:21:52

GinFaced

Hi folks,

I've used Ubuntu for far too long now, time for me to level up in the world. I have for the first time installed Arch and it has excited me, probably more than i thought it would. I am looking to use it as my primary OS.

#6778 2020-02-25 08:02:09

bartoszw

Hello everyone,

I am using Linux for about a year, I fell in love in Arch mainly for its vast documentation and pacman big_smile, to be honest I still do not fully understand what is going under the hood, but I am learning it big_smile.

#6779 2020-02-27 15:21:55

fldu

Hello,

I'm Linux user for almost 15yrs. I already used Arch several times because it was more practical to build my own environment, and my tuned distro fedora-based.

I'm considering to move definitely to arch for multiple reasons, but mainly because it's easier to maintain

Cheers
Fldu

#6780 2020-02-28 17:22:23

fbkz

Hey! I'm a new Arch Linux user and just spent the last 3 hours trying to configure my dual monitor setup (laptop + hdmi) to work well with i3.

I'm so happy I could manage to make it happen and I have to thank the wiki and this forum for this achievement. Although it takes a lot of time and reading, it has been a fun journey.

#6781 2020-02-29 11:17:26

Fread

Hello Everyone !

I'm new to Arch Linux (one week), and enjoying it A LOT. I come from a full windows background (I'm a C# developer btw), except for one or two year ten years ago when I was a student, I had Ubuntu installed on my main computer. It was fun but a bit frustrating : almost everything worked fine out-of-the-box, and for the things that don't, I remember that I had to struggle on the internet to find someone with the same issue, copy paste commands and configuration that I don't fully understand, and somehow it works.

Now with Arch Linux, since I'm basically setting up my system almost packet by packet, I have a much better understanding of what's happening under the hood. The linux world seems way less obscure now, and I understand why it is so popular !

#6782 2020-03-02 12:55:35

Phydoux

Hey everybody,

I'm new to Arch but no stranger to Linux. I've been using Arch for about 3 weeks now. I ran into a little problem adding a monitor so I came here looking for help. I posted something in the Kernel & Hardware section if you want to have a look at it. Maybe someone can help.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=253299

Other than that I've been using Gnome and xmonad under Arch and I really love xmonad. Can't wait to get it back up and running after I get my monitor issue under control.

I've been Windows Free since October 2018. I've been running Linux Mint and recently decided to give Arch a try. I'm glad I did. It's SOOOO much different than Mint. Mint is very Windows like in many ways but I was happy to be free of Windows finally.

I'm no stranger to command prompt system setups either. Slackware (1994) being my first and then Gentoo. So, I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into Arch. Arch is much easier to do because of the very helpful Wiki pages. We didn't have that in the 90's. It was all text file instructions. there was no WWW. There was gopher but it was hard to use Gopher and setup a new system unless you had another computer connected to Gopher. Those were fun times.

#6783 2020-03-02 23:34:33

wirefox

Have been using Arch KDE for some time now, but just recently created a forum account, love Arch

#6784 2020-03-04 12:09:13

1_use_arch_btw

Hello.
I finally got Arch installed yesterday after almost a year on Manjaro. Looking forward to learn much more about Linux.

Contrary to what my username suggests I did not start using Arch for the bragging rights.

#6785 2020-03-05 04:30:52

crocky

Hello,

I have been around for a while but only here for a short time smile

I am using Manjaro and it is looking very good, early days yet!

#6786 2020-03-06 00:44:22

RedSky

Hello,

I have been using arch linux since 2014, I always distro hopping but Arch is just a very special linux distro, no mac or windows or other distro can replace this.

It is truly one of the best, I think everyone should try Arch!

#6787 2020-03-10 12:53:33

Lyx0

Hello,

after a year of playing around with different Distros and getting annoyed by the fact that there is always something installed I didn't want to have installed I finally switched to Arch and I love it. It's exactly what i want because I configured it myself and can call it 'my own'.

Contrary to what I've heard installation wasn't as bad as everyone told me it is. The Wiki truly holds your hand through the process.

#6788 2020-03-10 19:12:48

lquidfire

A very warm welcome to all of you! I hope that you will enjoy the ride, and learn a thing or two if that is what you like. And don't forget to enjoy the sun every now and then wink

#6789 2020-03-12 16:28:16

porcelain1

Hi.

I've been learning a lot with the installation and configuration of Arch Linux as a newbie, just as I feel that it will be as gratificating when it becomes my main OS.

Behemoth, wake up!

#6790 2020-03-12 17:50:49

freezeheat

Hi, not entirely new and this is long due...

I tried my hand after using lubuntu for quite a while, and wanted to challenge myself,
I tried to understand everything I can from the docs, and might made my life harder than it needs to be since I used root and the native shell for the entire process, reading the docs from my phone and following and customizing everything I can, I later upgraded to using curl to display html code for me to read instead... when it was time to choose a desktop environment.. I chose to set up one myself.. which for a first-timer... was quite time consuming, and thanks to that entire process I now know a bit better about editing config files (and where they should be) and learned a ton... though I'm definitely a below average arch linux user as far as I can see.. many talented people here, especially the people writing the Wiki, so I wholesomely thank you kind people.

To be fair, this was secondary.. I had a slight problem which I will promptly address in the Newbie Corner and thought I'll stop by...

So to the future and with hope that someday I'll be able to contribute back to this community, good luck to us all.

#6791 2020-03-12 18:03:22

Slithery
Administrator

freezeheat wrote:

I tried to understand everything I can from the docs, and might made my life harder than it needs to be since I used root and the native shell for the entire process, reading the docs from my phone and following and customizing everything I can, I later upgraded to using curl to display html code for me to read instead...

The installation media contains a text-mode browser which can be used to read the wiki...

elinks wiki.archlinux.org

Welcome to Arch smile

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#6792 2020-03-15 01:10:32

tb0ne

Hello everyone!

I'm a new Arch user (about 2 weeks in), but I have many years of experience using other *NIX systems, one of my favorite for servers being OpenBSD. I decided to get into Arch as I wanted to get back to Linux on my desktop and am looking for some fun non-work related projects to do with it.

#6793 2020-03-15 14:01:21

bluman

Hello,

I just put Arch back on my laptop after experimenting with it on and off for a few years, and expect to keep it this time.

I recently realized that none of the popular Linux desktops are quite what I want them to be, and learned about some poor decisions Canonical has made (I've been using Ubuntu mostly). I decided it was time to come back to Arch and get what I actually want.

I'm making this account to start asking the dumb questions I knew not to ask before. I think I'm better at asking those dumb questions now, so it's worth participating.

#6794 2020-03-15 17:27:27

aarnar

Hello! smile
i have been using arch since 3 months and i preety much liked it.
what i found difference between this and windows is
A feeling that this is what i have builded

#6795 2020-03-17 00:45:53

Pailakar

Hi, been using Manjaro and Ubuntu for a while.

Decided to install arch over the weekend. I wanted a luks lvm partition plus dual boot with windows so that added some extra pain to the install, it took me about day and a half but now is running like a champ.
I originally wanted systemd-boot but after hours of trying couldn't get it to "see" the right luks partition so I settled for grub for now.

#6796 2020-03-22 17:04:14

Lemanr

Hello World!

So I grew up using Windows, then Windows 10 broke my computer (blue screen after "upgrade"), then I went to Ubuntu for over a year. I am a novice with C++ and getting decent at using R. I'm familiar with using a terminal however I'm still fairly relient on looking up command lines.

I decided to make the leap to a linux system that requires more experience because these types of OS's offer the user the most control (and responsibility of the computer's health).
What I hope to get out of using this is to have more control over my computer and to be more experienced with the linux operating system.

my only question right now is which wiki article is the best to start with to learn how to ultimately install a application like R studios from source download. I've never used source to do this before and figured now would be a good time to start.

Warning recovering help-vampire: Do not feed me help (July, 8th 2020)
Fully Recovered help-vampire big_smile (at some point late 2021)
Linux journey (approximately) Ubuntu -> Arch -> Debian -> Manjaro -> NixOs -> (attempted: unresolved hardware issues) gnu guix -> Gentoo -> Fedora -> Arch (current)

#6797 2020-03-24 08:00:53

Aromatix

Lemanr wrote:

my only question right now is which wiki article is the best to start with to learn how to ultimately install a application like R studios from source download. I've never used source to do this before and figured now would be a good time to start.

Hey there!

There is no "go-to" way to install a program from source. Common tools are "make" or "cmake". But you could look for specific instruction for the program you desire. e. g. for dependencies of RStudio

I am here to learn. Feel free to message me about anything that might be interesting to me! Thanks wink

#6798 2020-03-24 12:35:02

Lone_Wolf

leamnr wrote:

my only question right now is which wiki article is the best to start with to learn how to ultimately install a application like R studios from source download

You can look at https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/rstudio-desktop/ and try to understand how that works.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Creating_packages and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … Repository should help with that.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6799 2020-03-24 20:53:46

Lemanr

Thank you all for a good welcome. BTW Lone_Wolf I am jealous that you get to live in a scandanavian country. I like the way these governments are structured much more than the $$$ obsessed USA.

I am doing some more R programing today and will read these when I get the chance. I did manage to get R and wps going but not through source. Will play with MATLAB PKGBUILD some more later.

Warning recovering help-vampire: Do not feed me help (July, 8th 2020)
Fully Recovered help-vampire big_smile (at some point late 2021)
Linux journey (approximately) Ubuntu -> Arch -> Debian -> Manjaro -> NixOs -> (attempted: unresolved hardware issues) gnu guix -> Gentoo -> Fedora -> Arch (current)

#6800 2020-03-25 16:18:40

Sanglier

Hello ! Sanglier here, french psychiatrist from Pau in the southwest of France
I have used Fedora as my main distro for 15 years and decided to switch to Arch last year because... why not, I want to learn more about linux and I'm curious !
My actual config is a ThinkPad x230

Board footer