You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-01 17:13:54

jjanderson5
Member
Registered: 2017-05-21
Posts: 43

[RESOLVED] Post installation networking

With help along the way, I have succeeded to the point where I can boot arch linux and come up in a shell as root. That's the good news. The bad news is that in this shell networking is not working.

When I do:

ip addr show   or ip route show,

I do not get the same results that I got when I was entering the same commands when running with arch_chroot /mnt during installation.  Is this normal?

I expected that because the networking information was available during the installation process, it would be included in the installation.

I'm ready to start setting up a network configuration, but I would appreciate comments before I do so. If networking should be working after reboot, I have to re-examine my install process and figure out what went wrong. If what I am seeing is normal, I will move on.

Jim

Last edited by jjanderson5 (2020-03-01 18:59:36)

Offline

#2 2020-03-01 17:30:22

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,396

Re: [RESOLVED] Post installation networking

Without any logs nor information of the hardware it's kind of hard to say anything definite. Which chip should this be? Did you forget to install linux-firmware or broadcom-wl or so? What output do the ip route commands give you and in what way is it different? Did you check dmesg whether maybe the new kernel has issues with your particular chipset? See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … in_clients for ways of posting command outputs from a terminal, or you might have to store them a file or so.

Offline

#3 2020-03-01 17:33:00

WorMzy
Administrator
From: Scotland
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 13,666
Website

Re: [RESOLVED] Post installation networking

What guide did you use to install Arch?


Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Online

#4 2020-03-01 17:36:57

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,021

Re: [RESOLVED] Post installation networking

I expected that because the networking information was available during the installation process, it would be included in the installation.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … l_packages

wiki wrote:

The base package does not include all tools from the live installation, so installing other packages may be necessary for a fully functional base system. In particular, consider installing:
…
software necessary for networking,
…

Did you?

Edit: Sorry WorMzy, missed your post…

Last edited by seth (2020-03-01 17:39:26)

Offline

#5 2020-03-01 17:51:29

blitz
Banned
Registered: 2014-06-14
Posts: 32

Re: [RESOLVED] Post installation networking

In the pursuit to establish proper secure network connection, one needs and wants:

 ● network-online.target - Network is Online
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/network-online.target; static; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: active since Tue 2020-02-25 15:29:26 CET; 5 days ago
       Docs: man:systemd.special(7)
             https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/NetworkTarget

Feb 25 15:29:26 inode systemd[1]: Reached target Network is Online.

● network.target - Network
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/network.target; static; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: active since Tue 2020-02-25 15:29:15 CET; 5 days ago
       Docs: man:systemd.special(7)
             https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/NetworkTarget

Feb 25 15:29:15 inode systemd[1]: Reached target Network.

● dnscrypt-proxy.service - DNSCrypt-proxy client
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/dnscrypt-proxy.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Tue 2020-02-25 15:29:34 CET; 5 days ago
TriggeredBy: ● dnscrypt-proxy.socket
       Docs: https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/wiki
   Main PID: 950 (dnscrypt-proxy)
      Tasks: 13 (limit: 9360)
     Memory: 8.2M
     CGroup: /system.slice/dnscrypt-proxy.service
             └─950 /usr/bin/dnscrypt-proxy --config /etc/dnscrypt-proxy/dnscrypt-proxy.toml

Mar 01 06:33:23 inode dnscrypt-proxy[950]: Server with the lowest initial latency: securedns-ipv6 (rtt: 33ms)
blitz@inode /etc/systemd/network % cat 10-dhcp.link 
[Link]
MACAddressPolicy=random
[Match]
OriginalName=*
                                                                                                                                        
blitz@inode /etc/systemd/network % cat 10-dhcp.network 
[Match]
Name=e*

[Network]
DHCP=yes
DNSSEC=true
IPv6PrivacyExtensions=true

[DHCP]
Anonymize=true
UseDNS=false
UseNTP=false
SendHostname=false

Last edited by blitz (2020-03-01 17:57:29)

Offline

#6 2020-03-01 17:59:49

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 30,426
Website

Re: [RESOLVED] Post installation networking

blitz wrote:

In the pursuit to establish proper secure network connection, one needs and wants:

You really should stop posting until you have some idea of what you are talking about. Nothing about your setup is either necessary nor particularly desirable.


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#7 2020-03-01 18:03:46

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,396

Re: [RESOLVED] Post installation networking

not really no, that's the last thing of any relevancy and absolutely irrelevant during the stages of trying to get the network running in the first place.

Could you try thinking a bit harder about the problem scopes you are responding to? In all of your replies that happened over the course of the day, you where either completely off-topic or way ahead (and making assumptions based on your own set up which aren't guaranteed to hold true for everyone) of where the question started out from. While the sentiment to help is appreciated, throwing random command outputs in a thread that are tangentially related will likely serve to confuse people more than it actually helps.

Last edited by V1del (2020-03-01 18:06:07)

Offline

#8 2020-03-01 18:06:43

blitz
Banned
Registered: 2014-06-14
Posts: 32

Re: [RESOLVED] Post installation networking

jjanderson5 wrote:

... I do not get the same results that I got when I was entering the same commands when running with arch_chroot /mnt during installation.  Is this normal?
Jim

Yes, Jim - that's normal.
Because the PC is using the random server archlinux.org - first of
Secondly, mention taken on the 3-10 seconds delay, when LiveUSB establishes network connection dhcp.

Offline

#9 2020-03-01 18:15:51

jjanderson5
Member
Registered: 2017-05-21
Posts: 43

Re: [RESOLVED] Post installation networking

I'm going to reply to everyone and then I will close this thread. I do appreciate your comments, and yes, I got the answer I was looking for.

Jim

Offline

#10 2020-03-01 18:16:31

blitz
Banned
Registered: 2014-06-14
Posts: 32

Re: [RESOLVED] Post installation networking

jasonwryan wrote:
blitz wrote:

In the pursuit to establish proper secure network connection, one needs and wants:

You really should stop posting until you have some idea of what you are talking about. Nothing about your setup is either necessary nor particularly desirable.

Just to make some other conclusions.
blitz, was and is registered as Linux User since 2000 at the Linux Counter.

I do no ask You, who shall permit me to share my own positieve experience since than.

Offline

#11 2020-03-01 18:26:27

jjanderson5
Member
Registered: 2017-05-21
Posts: 43

Re: [RESOLVED] Post installation networking

@V1del

You asked good questions and if I did not already have the answer that I need (see my @seth comment in a few minutes), I would give you all the details. When I post, I try to give the details, but I was hoping to get my fix without providing all the low level details. My aim in not providing the details was not to same me time, but to try to save readers the time and effort of going through all the details. I know it can take some time and shrewd reading to solve a lot of these problems.

Regarding your 2nd reply, I believe you were responding to 'jasonwryan', not me. Just a suggestion, but it does help using the @whoever to start you comment, if it is directed at someone specifically and is not a general comment to the thread.

Jim

Offline

#12 2020-03-01 18:31:51

jjanderson5
Member
Registered: 2017-05-21
Posts: 43

Re: [RESOLVED] Post installation networking

@WorMzy

I used:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … figuration

It has room for improvement, but considering the complexity of the topic, I think it is a very good guide. On a 1 to 10 scale, I give it a 9+.

I certainly had problems reading it and missed things along the way. There are a lot of links and there is a lot of detail. In my opinion, it is very easy to overlook or misunderstand something, but the more times I read it the more I appreciate the job well done.

Jim

Offline

#13 2020-03-01 18:35:51

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 20,701

Re: [RESOLVED] Post installation networking

jjanderson5, I am pretty sure V1del had been responding to blitz.


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
The shortest way to ruin a country is to give power to demagogues.— Dionysius of Halicarnassus
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#14 2020-03-01 18:36:17

jjanderson5
Member
Registered: 2017-05-21
Posts: 43

Re: [RESOLVED] Post installation networking

@seth

Bingo!   I missed the networking necessary part when reading the guide.

I have a follow up question, but I will start a new thread for that.

Jim

Offline

#15 2020-03-01 18:39:07

jjanderson5
Member
Registered: 2017-05-21
Posts: 43

Re: [RESOLVED] Post installation networking

@blitz

I have not fully digested your comment yet, but I will look at it carefully as I work on bringing up the network.

Jim

Offline

#16 2020-03-01 18:39:34

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 20,701

Re: [RESOLVED] Post installation networking

blitz wrote:

I do no ask You, who shall permit me to share my own positieve experience since than.

Jasonwryan is a forum fellow.  It was his task, and it is my task to moderate these forums.  Regardless of how positive your experience has been, we will call you out your suggestions when you offer terrible advice

Last edited by ewaller (2020-03-01 18:40:21)


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
The shortest way to ruin a country is to give power to demagogues.— Dionysius of Halicarnassus
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#17 2020-03-01 18:48:35

jjanderson5
Member
Registered: 2017-05-21
Posts: 43

Re: [RESOLVED] Post installation networking

@jasonwryan

I have not fully comprehended blitz' reply yet, but at first glance it looks like a legitimate response and one that I want to consider carefully. If you believe  it is in error, correcting his error would be far more helpful, than suggesting he stop posting. I am happy to receive ALL replies to my posts and then judge which ones are worth pursuing. Even if his response turns out not to be of help to me (I think it will), I appreciate his time and effort.

Jim

Offline

#18 2020-03-01 18:52:21

jjanderson5
Member
Registered: 2017-05-21
Posts: 43

Re: [RESOLVED] Post installation networking

@blitz

Regarding your 2nd comment:

Thanks, I understand now the difference when running the same commands from the .iso vs after rebootting.

Jim

Offline

#19 2020-03-01 18:53:32

jjanderson5
Member
Registered: 2017-05-21
Posts: 43

Re: [RESOLVED] Post installation networking

@ewaller

Yes, I agree smile

Offline

#20 2020-03-01 18:59:02

jjanderson5
Member
Registered: 2017-05-21
Posts: 43

Re: [RESOLVED] Post installation networking

I'm closing this thread and following seth's reply.

Thanks for help!

Jim

Offline

#21 2020-03-01 19:04:28

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 20,701

Re: [RESOLVED] Post installation networking

I will close this thread to maintain its signal to noise ratio.  jjanderson5, if you want it reopened, please use the report function and ask a moderator to do that for you.  Thanks.


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
The shortest way to ruin a country is to give power to demagogues.— Dionysius of Halicarnassus
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB