You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-03 16:06:56

mb720

When to ignore packages?

When upgrading, do you ever use pacman's --ignore flag or add IgnorePkg=some_package to /etc/pacman.conf?

I encountered this problem a couple of times where it became impossible after a kernel update to mount external drives until a reboot. Which is why I've added this to ~/.bash_aliases to avoid the problem:

alias upgrade-with-ignore-list="(set -x; sudo pacman -Syu --ignore linux,linux-firmware,linux-headers,linux-api-headers,virtualbox-host-modules-arch)"

Do you have something similar or just do pacman -Syu and reboot if there's a new kernel?

#2 2020-03-03 16:16:14

archimboldo

Re: When to ignore packages?

Well, this is a really weird post.

Rules for problems.
Everyone has problems. Animals have problems. And buildings. And cats, and trees.
Problems are your friends. Treat them well.

#3 2020-03-03 17:03:35

eschwartz
Fellow

I just add the kernel to IgnorePkg, and upgrade it manually with 'pacman -S linux' when I'm ready to reboot. This is a pretty common thing for people to do.

(Repeat as needed for headers and out of tree modules.)

P.S. The linux-api-headers are used for compiling userspace applications, there's no reason to ignore them. Neither the linux-api-headers nor linux-firmware are tied to the running kernel, you should not ignore either one of them.

Just ignore the kernel itself, any third-party modules you have like virtualbox-host-modules-arch, and the -headers package (if you have the -headers package installed at all, it is only needed for dkms modules.)

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#4 2020-03-03 19:05:18

Scimmia
Fellow

Load the usb-storage module on boot, then you should be fine for external drives (FS module, too, if necessary).

#5 2020-03-05 15:37:23

mb720

Thanks @eschwartz! Happy to hear that I'm not the only one ignoring kernel to avoid needing to reboot.

Thanks @Scimmia! I did so with 'echo "usb-storage" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules-load.d/usb-storage.conf'. Do you know the reason why usb-storage is not loaded at boot per default if it gets rid of the problem of unmountable external drives after a kernel upgrade?

#6 2020-03-05 15:42:12

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Is it actually not loaded?  That module is (likely) necessary, but definitely not sufficient for mounting most external drives - as Scimmia noted filesystem modules would be needed too for any filesystem that is not already in use.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2020-03-05 15:49:55

eschwartz
Fellow

mb720 wrote:

Thanks @Scimmia! I did so with 'echo "usb-storage" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules-load.d/usb-storage.conf'. Do you know the reason why usb-storage is not loaded at boot per default if it gets rid of the problem of unmountable external drives after a kernel upgrade?

*Nothing* is loaded at boot, per default, because that would be a user choice. Many people don't have this problem, and some people have several problems including this, so they just IgnorePkg, at which point they don't have the problem. big_smile

The kernel will load things when it needs to, but that is not per default. Then it will keep them around for later, generally. Everything is on-demand, unless the user chooses to force it because they happen to know that hotplugging devices is something they need.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Board footer