You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-09 16:17:45

yodermk

Thunderbolt monitor, vertical tear

Hi,

I have an LG 34bk95u-w (similar to the LG 34wk95u-w). It has a 5K x 2K resolution and connects via Thunderbolt or DisplayPort.  I had been using DP for over a year, but I can't get it to work now after a BIOS update, but it had been flaky since the 5.5 kernel update too.

Anyway, using Thunderbolt now.  It does work, but with a significant quirk:  When it connects, it will often exhibit vertical screen tearing.  Sometimes there's a vertical line down the center and the right side of the screen is a few pixels lower than the left half of the screen.  Sometimes there are "blurry lines" at different places (all vertical) where different parts of the screen are not where they should be, for example the rightmost part of the screen might show what should be left, and a few variations.  And sometimes it all works just fine.

What is annoying is that it goes through this not only when the laptop wakes up from sleep, but also if it just powers off the screen due to inactivity (so I've set it to not do that, which isn't good).  Every time I unplug/plug the monitor it fiddles around for several seconds trying to figure it out, then I may or may not have to do it again (or again).  Usually 2 or 3 tries will get it right.

I'm using the nVidia proprietary driver with a Quadro P3200.  Laptop is a Dell Precision 7530.

Obviously it would be nice to solve this problem.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Board footer