You are not logged in.
Hi everyone,
I need some help configuring a second monitor. I've searched pretty extensively and tried to read the wikis... X.org, Xrandr, NVIDIA... its making my head spin. Hoping someone can throw me a bone.
Issue: At the login screen (KDE Plasma SDDM) both displays show a login screen. See picture: https://i.imgur.com/IqRZ9Gj.jpg - the second display isn't mirrored, its two separate login screens, and the second screen has keyboard focus initially.
My second monitor is 'portrait' mode and doesn't rotate at the login screen (once I login its fine). I would like to only have my main monitor show the login page, and the second monitor either be blank or just show a background picture.
Thank you!
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 Ti
KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.3
Offline
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SD … te_display
Follow the link, read the green tip box, copy and adjust the script mention below to the correct location.
Last edited by V1del (2020-03-17 17:10:52)
Offline
Thanks for posting. I don't think it was exactly what I was looking for because it was talking about fingerprint readers. But it helped me learn to narrow my search to configure SDDM. So, I ended up searching 'sddm login second monitor' and got to this handy page: https://blog.victormendonca.com/2018/06 … e-screens/
Here's how it applied to my setup
1. First I got a list of my connected devices:
xrandr | grep ' connected'The output let me know that it was the 'DP-0' device which I wanted to disable when X starts, before I hit the login screen. (As far as I understand)
2. Next, configure the Xsetup script.
sudo nano /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup
#!/bin/sh
# Xsetup - run as root before the login dialog appears
xrandr --output DP-0 --offI had to add the last line. My understanding is, this tells X to disable the display entirely when it starts and SDDM loads the login page. Once I logged in my second display connected. I'm assuming there is a seconrd xrandr script that runs after login, but maybe someone else with more knowledge can clarify that and any of the above details.
Thanks to @V1del for pointing me in the right direction.
Last edited by baconducttape (2020-03-17 18:31:28)
Offline
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/11-monitor.conf
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "DP0-0"
Option "Enable" "False"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "DP-1" # the name is specualtion, check xrandr -q
Option "Primary" "True"
Option "Enable" "True"
EndSectionYou can also use this to rotate the display etcetc., edit: check "man xorg.conf"
The layout after the login is probably controlled by krandr (check "systemsettings")
Last edited by seth (2020-03-17 20:02:07)
Offline
I was indirectly pointing you to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xr … figuration which tells you about this.
Offline