You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-17 12:05:01

Kes

All web page embedded video play back fails ... etc

I'm running a Thinkpad T430 with 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD.
On it I am running Arch 5.5.8-arch1-1 and openbox 3.6.1 window manager, and many other softwares.
All software is the latest up to date versions.

About a week ago I noticed that video won't play back, at all, if it is embedded in a web page.
Not on news.bbc.co.uk, not on youtube, not on twitter, not on facebook.
I can scroll to a frame in embedded video and sometimes see that, but no playback, except perhaps a few frames only, and no sound.

However Kaffine & VLC players will play .mp4 video that I have on hard disc, but they will not play any sound.

I have checked "pavucontrol" and "alsamixer" settings and nothing is obvious about the lack of sound.

Before last week everything worked perfectly - did an update screw everything up.

I have no idea where to begin with the failing video.

Last edited by Kes (2020-03-17 12:06:55)

#2 2020-03-17 12:52:16

Ropid

Re: All web page embedded video play back fails ... etc

Are there some interesting error messages printed to the terminal when you start your programs from the command line?

Do you find interesting warnings and errors in the journal around the time when you try playing a video?

This command line here filters pacman's log file to just the interesting lines:

grep -E '\] (ins|upg|rem)\w+ ' /var/log/pacman.log | less +G

Scroll to the date where you first noticed the problem and look at what was updated. Maybe there's something that immediately stands out to you when you look through the package names.

You can try playing around with downgrading the individual packages you find. There's a package "downgrade" in the AUR with a script that helps with downgrading packages.

#3 2020-03-17 23:29:58

ronmon

Re: All web page embedded video play back fails ... etc

I haven't had any video playback problems, but my audio quit working after an update on Sunday. The only audio related update I could find was gst-plugins-bad-1.16.2-5 which pulled in a new package along with it, gst-plugins-bad-libs. That package did not exist before.

Seeing no need for either, I simply removed both of them and the problem went away.

Board footer