You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-18 03:57:38

Henkm

Texlive issues

The main texlive packages were updated in November last year. At that time there were issues with filehook not correctly working together with scrlfile, affecting the memoir and beamer classes (perhaps more but these are the ones I am aware of).  I believe all these issues are solved in texlive but when using the outdated arch packages, we're stuck with placing ad-hoc stylefiles and doing partial upgrades using tllocalmgr. Is there any plan to update texlive in the near future or should we just forget about the arch-packages and do a local install of texlive from TUG?

#2 2020-03-18 11:55:07

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Texlive issues

I have had no problems with using *tex and I use it regularly.  I just tried a beamer example and it compiled just fine.  This sounds like an X-Y problem.  Describe your symptoms and provide error messages and a minimal example of a tex file that fails for you.

EDIT: There are no bug reports for texlive-core or texlive-bin.  If you believe this is a real issue and has been ongoing and want it fixed, why haven't you created a bug report?  I'm not suggesting that you do now, as I'm not conviced there is a real issue with the packages.

Last edited by Trilby (2020-03-18 11:57:17)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2020-03-18 12:35:51

Henkm

Well, that's me with egg on my face. I thought to make use of my time away from office to finally voice this issue but the selfsame document (memoir) that stubbornly resisted compilation at work last week compiles fine during work-from-home lockdown.
But a beamer doc is the other way around, can't compile at home. I'll need some time to strip to an MWE but the offending error is

/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/filehook/filehook-scrlfile.sty|111 error| Package filehook Error: Detected 'scrlfile' package with unknown definition of \InputIfFileExists.

I didn't file a bug report since texlive-core has been flagged out-of-date since November (when the problems also started)

Last edited by Henkm (2020-03-18 12:36:50)

#4 2020-03-18 13:41:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

An out-of-date flag is not the same as a bug - they are treated very differently.  Especially in this case, as it was flagged out of date in error: it is not out of date.  The last upstream stable release was April of 2019:

http://tug.org/texlive/ wrote:

Current release: TeX Live 2019 is available over the Internet and on DVD. It was released on 29 April 2019, and ongoing updates are available.

So as usual the signal to noise ratio of "out of date" flags are close to zero.  Perhaps someone else flagged it out of date because they had some error - but there is no indication if there error was even the same as or related to yours.

A minimal example would be great, but in it's absence, any example that can be shared publicly would greatly aid troubleshooting.  My first thought would be perhaps there is an issue with some specific package that you commonly use that I don't.  If I can replicate your error with your .tex file, that'd be more likely.

Last edited by Trilby (2020-03-18 13:42:24)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2020-03-18 14:19:26

Henkm

Alright, the problem occurs somewhere in the preamble. I think it's short enough to post here:

\documentclass[pdf]
 {beamer}
 %\mode<presentation>{
         \usetheme{Madrid}
 \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
 \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
 \usepackage{chemformula}
 \usepackage[english]{babel}
 \usepackage{PTSans, siunitx,calc, hyperref, multimedia,booktabs,multirow,gensymb,asymptote,graphicx,tikz,animate}
 \usepackage{wrapfig,amsmath}

\title{KIG4046}
 \subtitle{Vibrational spectroscopy}
 \author{Henk Metselaar}

%\includeonlyframes{current}
\AtBeginSection{\frame{\sectionpage}}
 \begin{document}
 \setbeamertemplate{caption}{\raggedright\insertcaption\par}

%% title frame
 \begin{frame}
 \titlepage
\end{frame}
\end{document}

an error is raised like before:

test.tex|| LaTeX Warning: Command \InputIfFileExists  has changed.
test.tex|| LaTeX Warning: Command \InputIfFileExists   has changed.
/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/filehook/filehook-scrlfile.sty|111 error| Package filehook Error: Detected 'scrlfile' package with unknown definition
of \InputIfFileExists.
test.tex|| Package filehook Warning: Macro \InputIfFileExists got redefined after 'filehook' was loaded.

But apparently a pdf is created.

Last edited by Henkm (2020-03-18 14:27:42)

#6 2020-03-18 15:40:53

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Ah, thanks.  Now I can replicate the error.  It seems to be in the chemformula package (or something else that chemformula includes).  Removing that package removes the error.  I've never used chemformula before which is why I'd never seen the issue (in fact never had texlive-science installed which is the arch package for chemformula).  It seems the root cause is indeed in scrfile.sty or filehook-scrfile.sty though which are in texlive-core.

EDIT: related: https://bitbucket.org/martin_scharrer/f … inition-of

The new release of filehook has the fix apparently, but there has not been a stable version release since then.  As this seems like something that may affect various users, you may be able to open an arch bug to request that the newly patched filehook be included in a rebuild of our texlive-core package.

Last edited by Trilby (2020-03-18 15:49:20)

Board footer