You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-02 16:28:42

uberben

Gnome crashes when using Gnucash, specifically when importing ofx

Lately when I've used Gnucash I've had a lot of crashes as a result. The specific action sequence that triggers it is opening Gnucash, going to File -> Import -> Import OFX/QFX..., then I select an ofx file, then I double click on a transaction to categorize it. At this point Gnome "crashes" (no status bar at the top of the screen, no wallpaper, can't access the Activities screen, can't alt-tab to other processes. I can't hit ctrl-F2 followed by r to restart gnome-shell. I can sometimes click on things in windows, usually just hitting a cancel button or something though. I can hit ctrl-alt-F3 to get to another term. Killing gnome-shell and/or Gnucash from here does not restore my Gnome session.

I first saw this happen a couple months back if memory serves. At the time I assumed an update caused a mismatch of libraries or something and I think a pacman update resolved it for a while (my memory is a bit fuzzy there). I only use Gnucash every month or two. This week it has been crashing very consistently despite several update attempts.

I'm assuming I've got something mis-configured on my machine but I'm not sure what. Any pointers for what I could look for?

#2 2020-01-02 17:00:12

uberben

Re: Gnome crashes when using Gnucash, specifically when importing ofx

To help narrow things down I logged out of my account and at the GDM login selected GNOME Classic as my desktop environment. The crash happens here as well. I then installed Xfce4 and selected that at the GDM login screen. So far I am not seeing the crash with Xfce.

#3 2020-01-02 21:15:36

linux-mate
Banned

"Message" is a required field in this form.

Mod comment:   Post blanked by the author.  Author has been banned

Last edited by ewaller (2020-01-05 22:25:27)

#4 2020-02-19 16:39:20

uberben

I'm still experiencing this issue in Gnome. I decided to try installing Gnucash via flatpak to see if that helped with mismatched libraries, but I get the same issue.

#5 2020-03-20 01:45:05

uberben

At some point I had forced my machine to use X11 instead of Wayland due to other issues I was experiencing (delayed boot sequence I think?). I turned that back off and it seems like it is still using X11, but my Gnucash issue seems to be fixed. I'm not really sure what is going on, but at least it seems I can reliably use Gnucash in Gnome again.

Board footer