You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-23 23:53:58

MonkeyBoy

[SOLVED] Arch install fails with a twist - how do I save logs to USB?

Hi,

I have searched the forum and I have searched the web with a popular search engine, but to no avail. Please direct me and/or close the thread if the fault is mine.

The gist of it: Installation fails under mysterious circumstances, the nvme I am installing to -poof!- 'ceases to exist'. I can read the logs from journalctl and make a file of them, but I want to save the file so I can post them in the forum. I install arch from a 'persistent' live USB (eg 2 partitions), but how can I save files to the stick? I cannot mount the 'persistent' partition to /mnt as the nvme has 'disappeared' and I have to mount it somewhere so I can save the logs there, right? Hilfe!

The original problem is described, in detail, here for those interested.

Cheers! / m-Boy

Last edited by MonkeyBoy (2020-03-24 01:19:46)

#2 2020-03-23 23:59:18

loqs

Re: [SOLVED] Arch install fails with a twist - how do I save logs to USB?

If the network connection is available you could use the tip box from pastebin to upload the journal contents.

#3 2020-03-24 00:03:13

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

If the filesystem on the usb you are booting from is persistent, just save it anywhere.  Then mount that usb in another OS to retrieve and post the file.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2020-03-24 00:16:35

MonkeyBoy

@Trilby: Ah, OK, so I just save the file and will end up alongside the 'install.txt' and can can chuck the USB into whatever (working) computer I like? I feel kinda dumb right now..

@Ioqs: Thanks for the tip, will def look into it, neat trick for future tinkering.

Thx - I will test it out to confirm I got it right and then mark the thread [SOLVED]

#5 2020-03-24 00:37:31

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Yes, if it is a persistent USB.  If it's the iso from and archlinux mirror then of course this will not work.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2020-03-24 00:51:54

MonkeyBoy

@ Trilby: Ah, I see. It is a live USB with a persistent partition, should have been more clear with that above. It is 2 partitions, made with Rufus where there is a "Persistent partition size" option. On that other partition, where the arch ISO is not, that is where I want to save the file. I just don't know how to go about.

Anyhow, Ioqs suggestion seems like good path to explore, that would solve the problem. And also seems to be handy for my future endeavours.

Thx!

#7 2020-03-24 01:18:44

MonkeyBoy

@Ioqs: ix.io , problem solved, thx

Board footer