You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-25 01:37:57

Kivi

Unable to boot, dropped in GRUB normal shell

Pretty much the title, I have a fresh install, it is all fine except the bootloader, I have run grub-mkconfig, and generated my config at /boot/grub/grub.cfg
However when rebooting im just dropped in a GRUB normal shell (not rescues shell), instead of booting the OS.

My partition scheme is a boot partition (this is the first one)  then a swap and then two more for root and home. I have confirmed that my grub.cfg is in place, and cant seem to find much help for the issue.

Thanks in advance

#2 2020-03-25 02:09:25

Kivi

Re: Unable to boot, dropped in GRUB normal shell

I have managed to boot, manually from the grub shell, by setting the boot root and calling `linux` `initrd` and then `boot` so taht works, but is far from ideal, and i have no idea why it isnt booting normally

#3 2020-03-25 03:01:16

po8po9

I've had that problem a couple of times. Usually generating a new grub.cfg will fix that.
I'm new to the forum, but not to Arch and thus know that most problems like this can be fixed by investigating and reading more, instead of asking.
Best of lucks.

Lots of info in the Wiki: that https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … ation_file

#4 2020-03-25 18:47:28

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Kivi wrote:

I have a fresh install, it is all fine except the bootloader, I have run grub-mkconfig, and generated my config at /boot/grub/grub.cfg

We need more information, please list the *exact* commands you used when installing.

Kivi wrote:

when rebooting im just dropped in a GRUB normal shell (not rescues shell), instead of booting the OS

Use the set command from the prompt to find where GRUB is looking for the configuration file.

Kivi wrote:

My partition scheme is a boot partition (this is the first one)  then a swap and then two more for root and home.

I think it would be better to post the full output of

# parted --list
# efibootmgr -v

^ Those commands can be run from any live environment.

Kivi wrote:

I have confirmed that my grub.cfg is in place

How?

Board footer