You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-25 18:47:04

Seikatsu

[SOLVED] NetworkManager not finding any wireless networks

First time arch user, so sorry in advance for lack of knowledge. Apologies out of the way, after a fresh install of arch linux and GNOME, I attempted to switch from wifi-menu to NetworkManager, only to be greeted with "No Networks" while scanning for wireless connections. I've disabled my netctl profiles using systemctl, though it didn't seem to make a difference.

Output of 'systemctl --type=service':

UNIT                                                  LOAD   ACTIVE SUB     D>
  accounts-daemon.service                               loaded active running A>
  colord.service                                        loaded active running M>
  dbus.service                                          loaded active running D>
  gdm.service                                           loaded active running G>
  kmod-static-nodes.service                             loaded active exited  C>
  lvm2-lvmetad.service                                  loaded active running L>
  lvm2-monitor.service                                  loaded active exited  M>
  netctl@wlan0\x2dJUSTIN\x20SMELLS\x2d2.4.service       loaded active exited  A>
  NetworkManager.service                                loaded active running N>
  polkit.service                                        loaded active running A>
  rtkit-daemon.service                                  loaded active running R>
  systemd-backlight@backlight:intel_backlight.service   loaded active exited  L>
  systemd-backlight@leds:asus::kbd_backlight.service    loaded active exited  L>
  systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-6714\x2dDAF9.service loaded active exited  F>
  systemd-homed.service                                 loaded active running H>
  systemd-journal-flush.service                         loaded active exited  F>
  systemd-journald.service                              loaded active running J>
  systemd-logind.service                                loaded active running L>
  systemd-modules-load.service                          loaded active exited  L>
  systemd-random-seed.service                           loaded active exited  L>
  systemd-remount-fs.service                            loaded active exited  R>
  systemd-repart.service                                loaded active exited  R>
  systemd-sysctl.service                                loaded active exited  A>
  systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service                    loaded active exited  C>
  systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service                        loaded active exited  C>
  systemd-udev-trigger.service                          loaded active exited  u>
  systemd-udevd.service                                 loaded active running u>
  systemd-update-utmp.service                           loaded active exited  U>
  systemd-user-sessions.service                         loaded active exited  P>
  systemd-userdbd.service                               loaded active running U>
  udisks2.service                                       loaded active running D>
  upower.service                                        loaded active running D>
  user-runtime-dir@1000.service                         loaded active exited  U>
  user@1000.service                                     loaded active running U>
  wpa_supplicant.service                                loaded active running W>

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.

35 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.

I've managed to connect to the internet using netctl/wifi-menu, though as I said, disabling these doesn't seem to do anything. I'm assuming I've made some oversight but I've spent days working on this and scouring the wiki with no luck. Apologies for the likely poorly constructed thread, I'm new to this and genuinely don't know where to begin, and thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by Seikatsu (2020-03-25 19:04:43)

#2 2020-03-25 18:50:12

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [SOLVED] NetworkManager not finding any wireless networks

Seikatsu wrote:

I've disabled my netctl profiles using systemctl

What was the *exact* command that you used? I think you're supposed to use netctl(1) to manage the unit files.

Can we also see the output of

systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled --no-p

#3 2020-03-25 18:53:50

Seikatsu

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Seikatsu wrote:

What was the *exact* command that you used? I think you're supposed to use netctl(1) to manage the unit files.

systemctl disable and systemctl stop... as for the output:

UNIT FILE                                             STATE   VENDOR PRESET
var-lib-snapd-snap-brave-63.mount                     enabled disabled     
var-lib-snapd-snap-core-8592.mount                    enabled disabled     
var-lib-snapd-snap-core-8689.mount                    enabled disabled     
var-lib-snapd-snap-core18-1668.mount                  enabled disabled     
var-lib-snapd-snap-gtk\x2dcommon\x2dthemes-1440.mount enabled disabled     
var-lib-snapd-snap-gtk\x2dcommon\x2dthemes-1474.mount enabled disabled     
autovt@.service                                       enabled disabled     
dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service            enabled disabled     
display-manager.service                               enabled disabled     
gdm.service                                           enabled disabled     
getty@.service                                        enabled enabled      
NetworkManager-dispatcher.service                     enabled disabled     
NetworkManager-wait-online.service                    enabled disabled     
NetworkManager.service                                enabled disabled     
snapd.socket                                          enabled disabled     
remote-fs.target                                      enabled enabled      

16 unit files listed.

#4 2020-03-25 19:03:54

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Please don't full quote unnecessarily, it degrades the readability of the thread.

Seikatsu wrote:

systemctl disable and systemctl stop

How did you manage the space in "netctl@wlan0-JUSTIN SMELLS-2.4.service"?

Seikatsu wrote:

the output

Hmm, that doesn't show the netctl units hmm

Can we see

ls -lR /etc/systemd/system

#5 2020-03-25 19:04:18

Seikatsu

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Seikatsu wrote:

Messing around further with netctl and disabling the profiles using it solved my issue, thanks a bunch for pointing me in the right direction, more than appreciated.

Board footer