You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-28 04:27:35

worik

Ethernet fails [Solved]

I am trying to set up Ethernet and am getting criptic messages.

$ ip link
[snip]
2: enp2s0f0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 20:89:84:6f:70:c2 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

I created a file: /etc/netctl/wired

$ cat /etc/netctl/wired 
Description='A basic dhcp ethernet connection'
Interface=enp2s0f0
Connection=ethernet
IP=dhcp
#DHCPClient=dhcpcd
#DHCPReleaseOnStop=no
## for DHCPv6
#IP6=dhcp
#DHCP6Client=dhclient
## for IPv6 autoconfiguration
#IP6=stateless

Run netctl start wired

$ sudo netctl start wired
Job for netctl@wired.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status netctl@wired.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

The error logs do not tell me anything I can understand

$ systemctl status netctl@wired.service
● netctl@wired.service - Networking for netctl profile wired
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/netctl@.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2020-03-28 17:23:01 NZDT; 2min 30s ago
       Docs: man:netctl.profile(5)
    Process: 7312 ExecStart=/usr/lib/netctl/network start wired (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
   Main PID: 7312 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

"journalctl -xe" has nothing to say.

I am stumped.

Last edited by worik (2020-03-28 21:32:35)

#2 2020-03-28 10:32:09

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Ethernet fails [Solved]

Netctl fails that does not yet make a statement over whether ethernet has a problem, are you meeting the preconditions mentioned in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … stallation ? What happens if you try to just use dhcpcd standalone? Did you check dmesg/kernel journal?

#3 2020-03-28 21:32:11

worik

tr;dr Thank you.  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … stallation helped.  I have the process I went through, written as done, for any other poor soul like me wrestling with this!!  Computers are so complex.... They will never become popular.

I am interested in how I use "systemctl --type=service" to reliable check that there is no networking service currently running.  As I say below in my stream of consciousness the output of "systemctl --type=service" seems to be free form text rather than structured.  Now I am leaning towards...

$ systemctl --type=service|grep -i network
  netctl-ifplugd@enp2s0f0.service                     loaded active running Automatic wired network connection using netctl profiles                     

but I would like to know how to reliably use that command.  I am at the start of my Arch Linux journey and I expect to be using that commansd a lot.

Thank you for all the hard work you are all putting in.  I am benefiting greatly!

I do not really understand that page.  When it says: "systemctl --type=service...ensure that no other network service is running"  I am not sure what I am looking for.  How s the response structured?  What indicates the type of service?  As far as I can tell it is free form text.  I expect..

$ systemctl --type=service|grep Networking

...will do it.  That should be empty.

As for " #Special systemd units "  ifplugd is installed...

$ pacman -Ss ifplugd
extra/ifplugd 0.28-15 [installed]

I found my interface name with:

$ ip link|grep -B 1 ether
2: enp2s0f0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 20:89:84:6f:70:c2 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlp3s0b1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 1c:3e:84:82:8d:71 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

\digression{start} I know my wired interface is "enp2s0f0" but I am not sure how I know that.  This is a trap for young players.... \digression{stop}

I started the service....

$ sudo systemctl start netctl-ifplugd@enp2s0f0

How do I tell it has started?  I do not think it has.  Here is probably my problem...

$ systemctl --type=service|grep Networking

I am completely confused by...

The netctl-ifplugd@interface.service will prefer profiles that use DHCP.
    To automatically start a static IP profile the option ExcludeAuto=no needs to be set in it.
    To prioritize a profile with a static IP over DHCP profiles, you can set Priority=2, which is higher than the default priority given to DHCP profiles of Priority=1.

But I am not sure it is relevant

At this point I plug in the ethernet cable and the network came up...

$ ip route
default via 192.168.1.254 dev enp2s0f0 proto dhcp src 192.168.1.72 metric 202 
192.168.1.0/24 dev enp2s0f0 proto dhcp scope link src 192.168.1.72 metric 202 

Ok.  I am OK.....

#4 2020-03-28 21:40:02

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … mctl_usage

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw