You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-28 23:29:00

tarantula

(SOLVED) installing iw or sudo offline

Hi,

I have installed the arch and i tried to manually ring up the wifi but after the command "iw dev interface scan" i get the error:

iw: command not found

as I do not have wifi, I can't install using pacman.  Same issue i have with "sudo" command.

is there any possibility to install those packages via a usb driver? any other way to bring the wifi up without "iw" command. the "ip link" related commands are working and the driver and card are working and up.

Thanks,

Last edited by tarantula (2020-03-29 16:00:13)

#2 2020-03-28 23:31:55

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: (SOLVED) installing iw or sudo offline

Why are you using iw in the first place? It's very rarely what you want to use to connect.

Easiest way to install packages you forgot is usually the same way you installed everything else. Boot the install disk, connect, mount everything, arch-chroot, then install whatever.

#3 2020-03-28 23:54:35

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

How did you install "the arch"?

If you followed the Installation Guide you're clearly instructed to install the tools you need to connect to the network in the installed environment more than once:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … l_packages
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … figuration

If you didn't follow the Installation Guide, then that's where you're going wrong. Start again, and follow the guide this time. Unofficial guides are not supported.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#4 2020-03-29 00:09:57

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

While iw is not needed, if you only have wifi, you will need tools that are not part of the base install.

However, sudo is never needed ... for anything.  It is a convenience tool only.  You can log in as root to use pacman, or even just use su which is part of the base install.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2020-03-29 06:22:33

tarantula

Scimmia wrote:

Why are you using iw in the first place? It's very rarely what you want to use to connect.

Easiest way to install packages you forgot is usually the same way you installed everything else. Boot the install disk, connect, mount everything, arch-chroot, then install whatever.

thx. It's in the wiki in the manual wireless setup steps. by using below command to connect to wifi:

iw dev interface connect "your_essid"

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … nual_setup

#6 2020-03-29 10:45:17

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

tarantula wrote:

It's in the wiki in the manual wireless setup steps. by using below command to connect to wifi

The iw(8) command can only connect to unsecured networks or those using WEP encryption (which is crap and shouldn't be used).

Read on a bit further, you need either wpa_supplicant(8) or iwd(8) to connect to a properly-secured wireless network.

To add the necessary commands to your installation boot up the live image, connect to the interweb with the wifi-menu command, mount the system partitions under /mnt and then use

# pacstrap /mnt iw iwd # and any other packages you need

#7 2020-03-29 15:58:06

tarantula

Thanks for all replies.
The issue resolved by installing required packages by booting via USB, connect, mount everything then arch-chroot

Board footer