You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-04 21:16:33

jwinnie

New update to systemd breaks systemd-homed

A recent update to systemd has changed systemd-homed so that you must enable it as a service (systemctl enable systemd-homed). This breaks the setup of people using systemd-homed before the change, like me, and fails to log in with a cryptic error message. Could the devs please put this as a news item on the homepage so that other users who aren't able to log in will see and know how to fix it?

(Sorry if this is the wrong category to put this under, I'm not very familiar with the Arch forums. If this is the wrong category please point me to the correct category)

Last edited by jwinnie (2020-04-04 21:20:21)

#2 2020-04-04 21:58:17

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: New update to systemd breaks systemd-homed

This isn't a homepage announcement, as too few people will be using this. It really should probably have been in the install script.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2020-04-05 04:57:35

eschwartz
Fellow

What exactly is this change, and, isn't systemd-homed.service enabled by default as part of the fundamental systemd installation? I'm exceedingly curious how one would discover this apparent issue anyway.

(I know it is enabled by default, because in order to completely opt out of using systemd-homed in any way, shape or form... I had to mask it. Which is a pretty obvious user choice, and one which manifestly deserves to be reverted if I should ever choose to decide to use it. Why would one mask it, then invoke it manually? How would you invoke it manually if you hate doing it as a systemd service?)

Last edited by eschwartz (2020-04-05 04:58:30)

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#4 2020-04-07 01:15:53

jwinnie

systemd-homed.service used to be enabled as part of the fundamental systemd installation but recently became an optional component that you have to enable separately.

I discovered the issue by using systemd-homed as soon as it came out, before the change was made. After I updated systemd and rebooted, I was suddenly unable to log in because the homed service was not enabled.

#5 2020-04-07 03:53:52

CarbonChauvinist
Website

This thread interested me so I checked my  journalctl logs and also see that I stopped seeing messages from systemd-homed on 2020-04-03. That was when I updated to systemd 245-4.2.

According to this link there some changes that were made specifically to address concerns raised with having to mask the service (FS65842)?

This is the current status of my systemd-homed on my vanilla install.

$ systemctl status systemd-homed.service 
● systemd-homed.service - Home Area Manager
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-homed.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
       Docs: man:systemd-homed.service(8)

$ sudo pacman -Qkk systemd
backup file: systemd: /etc/systemd/journald.conf (Modification time mismatch)
backup file: systemd: /etc/systemd/journald.conf (Size mismatch)
systemd: 1702 total files, 0 altered files

$ systemd-delta 
[EXTENDED]   /usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service.d/NetworkManager-ovs.conf

1 overridden configuration files found

"the wind-blown way, wanna win? don't play"

#6 2020-04-07 08:07:58

sabroad

I came across this too, and the error is obtuse.
Since then, it looks like the wiki had been updated, which should help (new) users to the service.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … stallation

--
saint_abroad

Board footer